Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Since I started reloading nearly 45 yrs. ago I have used Winchester brass for the majority of my loads. Some of my pistol brass is Starline, neither has given me any issues.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been using Winchester brass from factory loaded 308 ammo and it seems to be working out just fine. Started using ADG brass and that is really nice brass. That company is local to me so I can skip shipping charges.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Alpha has no equal.

Nothing is fhuqking schittier than Peterson.

[Linked Image]

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Gee, IME if you have a range close by..you can pick up a bunch of once fired stuff...I`ve done that, and sorted it by make.
Haven`t bought 308 stuff for a very long time.
Or go to a local Cabela`s..LOTS of cheep stuff...fire it and reload.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The LAST thing that interests me,is a "good deal" on a piece of fhuqking schit.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Who said anything about a good deal??????????

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every Drooling Turd Polishing Dumbfhuqk. Hint.

Congratulations?!?.................

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by lastround
Lapua brass IS a little pricey, but you definitely get your money’s worth from it in terms of quality of manufacture, longevity (I have 7mm-08 brass that’s been fired 12 times and still going strong), and accuracy. But, with Lapua, you’ll need to cut back a bit on powder charges. It has less inside dimensions. Best brass going in my opinion.

That's what I've always been told, and Lapua is generally pretty good, no doubt. However, some recent load development I did in my 308 AR showed me that Norma brass was a little tougher and more consistent than the Lapua. It could (and is likely to be) just that batch, but it showed me that Norma brass is at least worth considering. It was without question head and shoulders above Hornady Match, both in consistency and in the level of loads it would handle.

Combine that with the experience I had with some Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass a while back that was .010" short on headspace and split 1 out of 5 pieces at the neck has made me a little less enthusiastic about Lapua lately. Not enough to stop using it, but I'm not sure it's the best thing out there at the moment.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Alpha smokes Lapooey.

It takes farrrrrr more than .010" headspace,to fail brass...especially Lapooey Grendel as it's rather robust.

Hint................

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Brass is brass. In .308 Winchester I like Nosler Brass, or Hornady Brass, or Privi Partisan which in most calibers they produce measures on a par with any other (the Privi .25-06 Remington brass proved quite uniform). Lapua brass has proven problematic in some plain Jane standard cartridges for me, and doesn't really become something spectacular until we crack open a box of 6mm BR Norma, then it's obviously different and worth the cost. Starline is premium brass, I buy it by the 1000 case lots in rifle and handgun cartridges, especially for kooky stuff such as the .357 Maximum; .375 Winchester (for reforming to .375 Super Mag, or the 7mm IHMSA Rimmed); their .348 Winchester (because it's available); the old standby .45-70 Government; their .44 Magnum; .45 Colt; and .480 Ruger; and I plan on buying a lot of .308 Winchester with the small rifle primer pocket for use with H-322 powder and a mystery bullet. Otherwise I buy all the Winchester .204 Ruger and Winchester .223 Remington brass I can get my hands on, enough to require stacking over floor joists so the floor doesn't sag. Otherwise, I load up on new Federal Lake City 5.56 NATO brass, all of which shoots the same and kills ground squirrels.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 02/18/19.
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My “go-to” brass is Lapua for bottle neck cartridges larger than .223, and star line for .223 and pistol.
Great results and many reloads on both Lapua and star line.

I had very good luck with Winchester brass several years ago, but will no longer buy their stuff based on two purchases I made in early 2018..... l’m sorry to say that it was very poorly manufactured.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I'd go LAPUA in .308 Win.

I did. Bought 1000.

I always preferred Remington for several reasons. But, they no longer care about their customers.

Last edited by Reloder28; 02/18/19.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

I second this. By far the best brass I've ever bought. If not this I find Winchester to be more consistent than most of the other brands.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought some Hornady 270 and the stuff is better than I would have expected.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Roystu

I second this. By far the best brass I've ever bought. If not this I find Winchester to be more consistent than most of the other brands.

There's been a lot of suspect brass in Winchester bags for a few years now.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Remington took a crap a while back too.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Since we’re talking 308.. Are there any opinions about LC or other military brass? I’m considering sizing to within two thousandths of my headspace with a body die and then using a collet die to do the necks.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
LC brass is pretty durable. Depending on its origin it may have a primer pocket crimp to remove. A lot of the once fired LC on the market was fired in machine guns and will likely need some heavy duty sizing.

I've bought new LC headstamp brass under Federal's American Eagle label and it has been pretty good. After its first loading I've used a Lee collet die and a Redding body die to size it, and a Redding or Forster competition die to seat bullets and the cartridges have come out straight enough that I never bothered sorting for neck thickness et cetera.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I won a contest and received a lot of previously fired LC and other military headstamp brasses (mostly SBS & PMJ) with primer crimp removed but otherwise unprocessed. It was indeed a heavy resizing job with Redding body die and Lee Neck Collet die - and that was after I annealed everything. I used the Redding “Competition” shell holders to get headspace clearance where I wanted it. I have some bullets on order so wish me luck to see how it goes.

And best of luck for OP and everyone else with all the good brass choices discussed above.

Last edited by Frankk; 02/27/19.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.