Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kinda bored today, ordered some things one being Barnes CR10 solvent. Looking at the label it said Ethylene Glycol, so got to digging into the MSDS.
HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS
ETHYLENE GLYCOL BUTYL ETHER = Anti-Freeze blended with water
AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE = Ammonia
SODIUM NITRATE = Jerky Cure
M-Pyrol
Proprietary Blend = stable acidic salt.

So I have been cleaning the bore with acidic salt, mixed with jerky cure and ammonia suspended in diluted anti-freeze. 😂
I am now questioning my sanity as to why I buy it.

Swifty
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It removes the copper in my rifles then you clean it out of the bore.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ethylene Glycol was originally created to keep brass/copper heat exchangers from building up corrosion.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need to get “Globaly Harmonized,” MSDS’s are a thing of the past. 😎. SDS’s are the new version and as dumb as it sounds the standardization is a good thing.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Ethylene Glycol was originally created to keep brass/copper heat exchangers from building up corrosion.

Nope, it was originally developed in 1859 and there was no commercial use till after WW1 when it was used to replace Glycerol in dynamite 🧨. But it’s primary use in the USA was antifreeze.

Pure ethylene glycol freezes at about −12 °C (10.4 °F) but, when mixed with water, the mixture freezes at a lower temperature. For example, a mixture of 60% ethylene glycol and 40% water freezes at −45 °C (−49 °F).[4] Diethylene glycol behaves similarly. The freezing point depression of some mixtures can be explained as a colligative property of solutions but, in highly-concentrated mixtures such as the example, deviations from ideal solution behavior are expected due to the influence of intermolecular forces.

Because of the depressed freezing temperatures, ethylene glycol is used as a de-icing fluid for windshields and aircraft, as an antifreeze in automobile engines, and as a component of vitrification (anticrystallization) mixtures for low-temperature preservation of biological tissues and organs. Mixture of ethylene glycol and water can also be chemically termed as glycol concentrate/compound/mixture/solution.
The use of ethylene glycol not only depresses the freezing point of aqueous mixtures, but also elevates their boiling point. This results in the operating temperature range for heat-transfer fluids being broadened on both ends of the temperature scale. The increase in boiling temperature is due to pure ethylene glycol having a much higher boiling point and lower vapor pressure than pure water, as is typical with most binary mixtures of volatile liquids.

Swifty
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sounds like you might be making this stuff, Swifty....but I ain`t buying anymore..I`m gonna use good ole elbow grease.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Nope, it was originally developed in 1859 and there was no commercial use till after WW1 when it was used to replace Glycerol in dynamite 🧨. But it’s primary use in the USA was antifreeze.

Pure ethylene glycol freezes at about −12 °C (10.4 °F) but, when mixed with water, the mixture freezes at a lower temperature. For example, a mixture of 60% ethylene glycol and 40% water freezes at −45 °C (−49 °F).[4] Diethylene glycol behaves similarly. The freezing point depression of some mixtures can be explained as a colligative property of solutions but, in highly-concentrated mixtures such as the example, deviations from ideal solution behavior are expected due to the influence of intermolecular forces.

Because of the depressed freezing temperatures, ethylene glycol is used as a de-icing fluid for windshields and aircraft, as an antifreeze in automobile engines, and as a component of vitrification (anticrystallization) mixtures for low-temperature preservation of biological tissues and organs. Mixture of ethylene glycol and water can also be chemically termed as glycol concentrate/compound/mixture/solution.
The use of ethylene glycol not only depresses the freezing point of aqueous mixtures, but also elevates their boiling point. This results in the operating temperature range for heat-transfer fluids being broadened on both ends of the temperature scale. The increase in boiling temperature is due to pure ethylene glycol having a much higher boiling point and lower vapor pressure than pure water, as is typical with most binary mixtures of volatile liquids.

Swifty,

thanks for the dissertation.

You do know though, that a good percentage of the readers here don't think science is real or has any usefulness, right? grin

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think the first words of Swifty's post was correct....

" Kinda bored today....."

you guys are right... its Saturday morning... take a load off...

most of us can wait until Monday to get dazed and confused...

What I take from this, is to go down and buy a gallon of anti freeze or even cheaper, Blue Window Wash
and clean a gun barrel or two....

and here I thought I learned from Schtick.... just leave your gun laying in the creek next to a fish for a couple of hours and it keeps that gunk/shooting residue out of your gun barrel... and action....

and I conveniently have a creek running a good couple hundred yards right between my house and the neighbor next door who only comes up here to Oregon twice a year for a week... so I essentially have it all to myself.. for gun cleaning and such....

just no fish... so I put my gun in the creek for a couple hours after going to the range, and just lay a fish stick near it.. that ought to work....then just clean it out with anti freeze and blue window wash from Walmart or Autozone.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think you forgot the jerky salts Seafire.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think Seafire might be getting a little cantankerous in his old age. It must boggle the mind that one of the main ingredients in a bore cleaner is also in his food.

Foods With Sodium Nitrate
Sodium nitrate isn't used in many foods, according to the American Meat Institute, and you're more likely to find sodium nitrite, one of the compounds formed spontaneously from sodium nitrate. However, natural sodium nitrate is still used in dry cured meats and meats made in specialty shops. Examples of these types of meats include prosciutto, capicola, salami, pancetta and lardo. If you're eating these meats, read the ingredients list to see if it contains the food additive. You can also ask the butcher or maker of the meat for information about the preservative content.

Swifty
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Broccoli has alot of Sodium Nitrate in it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Swifty,

Last few years, especially since having a third of one kidney removed, I've been buying more and more "uncured" meat. It's hard to find at times, and usually more expensive, but I figure after all the stuff I've been exposed to over the years I'll cut down on stuff going through the filters the best I can.

Actually have a chub of salami in the fridge with no "added" nitrates or nitrites right now.

As to your original post, so many of us never think to look into commonly used items and what we're being exposed to. Maybe it's no big deal...........then again, maybe it's a bigger deal than we think.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Actually I bet he would rather mix up this type, I mean what could go wrong. Other than asphyxiate yourself or a spark cause a big boom.

Ed's Red
As a general bore cleaner, plastic wad remover, and carbon solvent the following formula, a creation of C.E Harris, and dubbed "Ed's Red" works quite well. In fact many folks claim it is better than anything they've tried. The original formula is:

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III Automatic Transmission Fluid - GM Spec D20265 or later
1 part K1 Kerosene
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits federal spec TT-T-2981F (CAS# 64741-49-9) or Stodard Solvent/Varsol (CAS#8052-41-1), a.k.a "oderless mineral spirits"
1 part Acetone (CAS#67-64-1)

Formula Addendum

It has been reported that methyethylketone/MEK (CAS#78-93-3) can be satisfactorily substituted for the acetone if desired.

It has been reported that Turpentine can be satisfactorily substituted for the Mineral Spirits if desired. The original Frankford Arsenal formula upon which Ed's Red is based used turpentine rather than mineral spirits which were substituted for lower cost. Turpentine also tends to leave a gummy residue.

It has been reported that Kroil penetrating oil can be satisfactorily substituted for the kerosene if desired.

It has been reported that the lower numbered "JP" jet fuels can be used in place of kerosene.

It has been reported that Goo-Gone (a commercial citrus based solvent) can be satisfactorily substituted for the mineral spirits if desired.

It has been reported that commercial automotive "engine flush" can be substituted for the ATF (but you lose the red color and the lubrication qualities).

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It has been reported that the formula works best when mixed in a pail with gloveless hands when heated to lukewarm over a coal burner.

It softens the skin better that way too.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just eat deer, antelope, elk, bear, moose, caribou and other such meats. Do the butchering yourself. No problem with added ingredients or hormones or whatever then.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Various grades of glycol are also commonly found in eye drops among many other uses in the foods we eat.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Switch to wipe-out

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Actually have a chub of salami in the fridge with no "added" nitrates or nitrites right now.

Then it's no good for rifle cleaning.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Swifty,

Last few years, especially since having a third of one kidney removed, I've been buying more and more "uncured" meat. It's hard to find at times, and usually more expensive, but I figure after all the stuff I've been exposed to over the years I'll cut down on stuff going through the filters the best I can.

As to your original post, so many of us never think to look into commonly used items and what we're being exposed to. Maybe it's no big deal...........then again, maybe it's a bigger deal than we think.

Geno

Someone said broccoli has nitrates, yep.

So does celery. More than many cured meats.

Ever wonder why your meat is no added nitrates?
Instead on no nitrates?

Because they add something (usually celery juice) to get
The nitrates needed to cure the meat.
They add celery juice, not nitrates, the nitrates come along for the ride.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Switch to wipe-out

Isn’t any better, half the stuff in there is used to make explosives.

https://www.pbepro.com/common/High%20Teck%20Products/MSDS/HT-7800%20All%20Sizes.pdf

Back to topic, M-Pyrol = paint stripper containing NMP available at your local hardware store. One stop shopping in some places like Home Depot, Lowe’s and menards. 😃

Swifty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.