-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If anyone has an AH Fox early SxS they have grown tired of looking at, please let me know. Prefer the graded guns with
fine stocking and quality Gough engraving. They are right in there with Smiths and Parker-LeFevers. PM when ready.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You have been striking out here. Perhaps here, but I suspect you have been there. If not....

https://www.foxcollectors.com

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

try on upland journal …….bob

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks. I am a member of the AHFCA. Have a couple of Fox waterfowl guns including a Super Fox, but like
to beat the coverts and gun marshes to rescue another one.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
O
Just from my knot hole, I have at least 6 L C Smiths, 2 Parkers one VH 12 gauge and one DH 20, 7-8 A H Foxes from Sterlingworths, A and AE grades, one CE grade and other double guns. Nothing compares to an A H Fox in my opinion. It was the finest American double in my estimation. All these three are desirable but I will always stand by a Fox.

Just MHO. Loves those Foxes and if you have anything to sell, I might have interest. Especially an HE or Super Fox.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by oneoneshot
Nothing compares to an A H Fox in my opinion. It was the finest American double in my estimation.

In which ways? I like AH Fox but hard to say the finest. High Grade Lefever's are a thing of beauty. Durability hands down goes to the Winchester Model 21. I would say High Grade Fox and Lefever's are neck and neck. But the Parker's don't lack much to be desired. I wouldn't turn down any of the American Classic Side by Sides.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
MCH pretty much nailed it. The Winchester 21 is without question the durability winner. History said it may have died on the vine if not for a Duck blind shared by one of the Parker Brothers and Oliver Winchester. It was than suggested that the model 21 needed to be cleaned up more than a little. The stock was little more than utilitarian and the metal work could use some changes and options for embellishment. Oliver took the suggestion and the 21 lived on.

High Grade Foxes are special, but like "The Highlander" there can only be one....

laugh

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 01/16/19.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You bought the wrong book Battue! The Forward was written by the right guy, This is the correct title, Winchester's Finest: The Model 21. smile smile smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
“Winchester’s Finest” and “America’s Finest” is where the difference lies. 😀

There is another, “A.H. Fox——The Finest Shotgun in the World”. “The World”, now that guy is a tough act to follow. 😤

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue
“Winchester’s Finest” and “America’s Finest” is where the difference lies. 😀

There is another, “A.H. Fox——The Finest Shotgun in the World”. “The World”, now that guy is a tough act to follow. 😤

Subjective!

O
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
O
A 'Fox' .....always gets the game. Closing a Fox from 1915 is like closing a pocket watch...nothing duplicates that sound. Just a note of trivia, the gentleman A H Fox shot for Winchester competitively. Winchester's hired gun!

Nash Buckingham had both Foxes and Winchester 21s. Which did he write about, where is his Fox? If you do not know the story, it is worth researching, great read.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Shotgun evaluation is all subjective, unless you happen to have an HE Super Fox 3in in a duck pond or goose blind.
Recently got to hunt Canadian geese with both the Super Fox and an LC Smith Long Range.
I have a 1916 BE Fox that is great on turkey and ducks. With double triggers you can switch from 4s to 2s in
either barrel.
I have a number of 1886 Winchesters and Model 71 rifles, along with pre-war Model 70s.
Winchester has always had the best rifles, of the vintage class.
The Model 21 was John Olin's efforts to follow in the footsteps of the other makers including Fox, Smith, Parker, LeFever and Ithaca.

As a third gen owner of a Parker AAHE- I can only say for me: the earlier American doubles are my personal favorites.
I agree with Roosevelt on Fox doubles: a pre-war XE is an exquisite shotgun-only have one.

Winchester is best--but only with their rifles.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
Shotgun evaluation is all subjective, unless you happen to have an HE Super Fox 3in in a duck pond or goose blind.
Recently got to hunt Canadian geese with both the Super Fox and an LC Smith Long Range.
I have a 1916 BE Fox that is great on turkey and ducks. With double triggers you can switch from 4s to 2s in
either barrel.
I have a number of 1886 Winchesters and Model 71 rifles, along with pre-war Model 70s.
Winchester has always had the best rifles, of the vintage class.
The Model 21 was John Olin's efforts to follow in the footsteps of the other makers including Fox, Smith, Parker, LeFever and Ithaca.

As a third gen owner of a Parker AAHE- I can only say for me: the earlier American doubles are my personal favorites.
I agree with Roosevelt on Fox doubles: a pre-war XE is an exquisite shotgun-only have one.

Winchester is best--but only with their rifles.

As you say it is subjective, however one thing that was proven is the Model 21 was king in durability. I'll take a Model 21 Duck Grade all day any day.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m in the cheap seats.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oneoneshot

Nash Buckingham had both Foxes and Winchester 21s. Which did he write about, where is his Fox? If you do not know the story, it is worth researching, great read.

One version of said story-

https://gardenandgun.com/feature/the-legend-of-bo-whoop/

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Both the original Bo Whoop and the the later HE Super Fox -both bored by Burt Becker are at the Ducks Unlimited Headquarters, not the museum. One look at the originals behind
glass less than 2 ft away is convincing. There are always doubters, of course.
AH Fox pre-war graded shotguns are in a class by themselves with Krupp steel and Gough engraving. The difference in fine American doubles, and opinions thereof-are what make
the horse race. The Eastern wild turkey likes to really look over the area before getting close-but they appreciate finely finished engraving-so get into gun range......

You pay the freight, and take your chances.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
If anyone has an AH Fox early SxS they have grown tired of looking at, please let me know. Prefer the graded guns with
fine stocking and quality Gough engraving. They are right in there with Smiths and Parker-LeFevers. PM when ready.

I love my AH Fox. It was made in 1910, has 30" barrels and was originally bought by my great grandfather, then passed down to my grandfather and then to me. I lucked out because the stock was supposedly fit to my great grandfather, who was a left handed shooter. I also shoot left handed and that shotgun fits me better than any other shotgun I've had in my hands.. I'll never sell that one, but wish you luck in your search..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,543
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.