Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
This has probably been asked many times before. But, I'm looking for an affordable mold to cast .45 185-200 grain bullets that will feed reliably in the .45 ACP. Are any of the Lee molds suitable? Some Googling shows mixed opinions. My casting experience is limited to muzzleloader round and Maxi balls many years ago. I'm only reloading for one pistol in .45 ACP. So, I don't need high production and plan to use the Lee drip pot I already own. I will also cast for a couple of other calibers. But, I'm starting with the .45 and welcome opinions. Thanks

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The Lee 200gr lube-groove SWC mold is a great choice especially in 6-cavity flavor. I'm not as fond of the tumble lube version, but the lube groove version is very accurate and has fed reliably in all my 45 Auto pistols. Size to .452-.453" and seat it with about .050" shoulder sticking out of the case mouth, adjusted for your barrel of course.

I recommend the 6 cavity instead of the 2 cavity for a few reasons, even if you're not planning to cast a few hundred at a time:
- quality is usually better on the 6 cavity molds. This is a big deal; in the last 5+ years I haven't seen a single bad 6 cavity mold, but have dealt with several out-of-spec 2 cavities.
- temperature seems to be more stable compared to the newer T-shaped 2 cavity blocks
- the sprue plates are better

Last edited by Yondering; 02/15/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by Creeker; 02/16/19.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks to both of you for the recommendations. The tumble lube idea doesn't appeal to me either. Do you have a lube preference for this bullet? The only thing about a 6-cavity, is I would worry that it would empty my little Lee, bottom-pour pot too quickly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dittos on the Lee 200 gr swc six cavity. I happen to like the tumble lube design, great plinker and you can cast and lube 1000 bullets in under and hour. Draining a furnace quickly is not a bad thing.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 to the 6 cavity 200 swc, it shoots great in my 1911. Mine is only the 2 cavity and it seems to take forever to make any headway. If I hadn't gone on a marathon casting session over the winter and put out over 40 lbs with the 2 cavity, I'd be looking for a 6 right now. I have the 6 cavity in the 200RF and it's a much better mold from all aspects. Your throat will need lengthened for better results with this one though.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Emptying my little Lee bottom pour too quickly?" The same amount of lead will be gone from it after X amount of bullets regardless of how many cavities are in the mold.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I never had much luck with lightweight SWC's feeding 100%, so I've stuck with good old 230 grain RN's that duplicate hardball bullets. They do feed. Of course mostly I've fooled with gov't issue 1911A1's that I didn't want to polish/modify feed ramps in. Besides, the RN's make holes in paper targets too, and if needed in a "serious social encounter", well, I wouldn't want to be hit by one.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by msquared
Thanks to both of you for the recommendations. The tumble lube idea doesn't appeal to me either. Do you have a lube preference for this bullet? The only thing about a 6-cavity, is I would worry that it would empty my little Lee, bottom-pour pot too quickly.

Lube preference - powder coating, by a mile. It's just as fast as tumble lube (if you use my method) and has a lot of advantages. See my thread about it in this forum if you're interested.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
"Emptying my little Lee bottom pour too quickly?" The same amount of lead will be gone from it after X amount of bullets regardless of how many cavities are in the mold.

But, if you have to stop often to refill a small pot, wouldn't keeping the molds at the right temperature be more of a challenge? My experience is limited to single molds, but, I gradually add lead as I work.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Just cast a little slower, or get a second (bigger) pot. The Lee 20lb bottom pour (I use the Pro 4-20 IIRC) is preferable to the smaller pots for that reason, and they are pretty inexpensive.

Using a small pot seems like poor justification for buying the lower quality 2 cavity molds.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Lyman 452460.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive used and loaded these cast bullets for several years loaded over 6 grains of unique powder
[Linked Image]
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...diameter-230-grain-tumble-lube-truncated-cone
I don,t tumble lube I run them through a lyman lube sizer
I find they are more accurate and more effective on hogs
[Linked Image]
a decent capacity lead melting furnace cost a significant amount

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...ter-230-grain-tumble-lube-truncated-cone

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/267665/lyman-mag-25-digital-melting-furnace

limited on funds like most guys you have cheaper options and with a 40 lb capacity that heats faster.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-cast-iron-dutch-oven-44705.html

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lym...KA9wEAQYAiABEgLAvfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ou...ol-zP4AIVCMDICh00VQS1EAQYBCABEgJxJPD_BwE

Last edited by 340mag; 02/22/19.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
You can pick up a Lee Precision Pro 4-20 pot for around $70, and don't have to mess with turkey fryers and dutch ovens.

Whatever you do, at least use a thermometer or better yet some sort of temperature controller, but that's a different subject.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks to all for the advice. I have a big supply of lead that's not very clean. I do have a propane fish fryer that I plan to use to clean my lead and cast into usable sizes. But, I will do the actual casting with a Lee pot, either my current one or maybe a little bigger one.

On bullets, I do prefer a lighter bullet in the 185-200 gr. range for lighter recoil target shooting. I'm thinking a round nose would be more reliable for feeding.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One sure fire way to find out...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Papag
Lyman 452460.

Another vote for the 452460..With my alloy these drop 205 grs and have been my go to accurate target load for many yrs over 6.5 grs of Unique for 850fps,

[Linked Image]

Seated to 1.187" OAL and factory taper crimp they have never failed to feed in the Glock or 1911..

[url=https://postimg.cc/tZXXbQbd][Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FlyboyFlem,

Do you have any problems with leading in that Glock? Of course there was, all that is needed is a simple cleaning. But I was wondering if you did something to prevent leading with that bullet.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
FlyboyFlem,

Do you have any problems with leading in that Glock? Of course there was, all that is needed is a simple cleaning. But I was wondering if you did something to prevent leading with that bullet.

Are you shooting lead from your stock barrel ? I replaced the stock barrel which has a polygonal rifling with the" Lone Wolf " brand SS standard rifling replacement specifically for shooting cast however it will digest anything as well..Polygonal barrels aren't recommended for lead..

No leading issues other than routine cleaning,this bullet carries a decent amount of lube which helps.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve got a Lyman 185swc mold, an RCBS 200swc, and a Lee 200rn tumble lube. I load the RN from the Lee most often, they’re easy to get to feed in any 45 and very accurate in my 1911. I just run them through my lubesizer like you would any grease groove bullet. They seem to carry plenty of lube, haven’t had any issue with leading.

I’m going to cast up a bunch of handgun bullets here soon and I may have to work with the SWC designs some more to get a load I like. The idea of the little 185 Lyman moving along pretty fast makes me want to try it on some pigs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 9 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.