Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Note: your point of impact will undoubtedly shift when switching from heavy RN to light and fast SWC's. Does your gun have adjustable sights? My .45 platform is a 1913-vintage government issue M1911 (refurbished in WWII at Rock Island Arsenal), complete with the early "no see-um" sights. The sights are regulated for hardball ammo and as such they work to shoot true with 230 RN cast loads driven at hardball velocity, but when jockeying bullet styles/weights/velocities I have to employ "Kentucky windage and elevation". (And no, I have no intention of altering the old girl at this point in her life with better sights. She is what she is, and I love her warts and all!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes my 1911 wears a Bomar adjustable rear. I’ll have to see how close the RN and the RCBS SWC shoot to one another since they’re the same weight. I know from previous experience that the FN is a far superior killer to a RN.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There is that. I doubt though that I'll ever need or want to kill anything with mine!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Due to the abundance of Pigs, coyotes, armadillos, snapping turtles, snakes, and other varmints where I live I try to shoot something with every gun I own. I used to have a personal rule that I wouldn’t buy another gun until I’d killed something with the last one I bought. Kinda fell behind on that when I lived in AK due to the smaller scope of opportunity but I’m pretty much caught up now that I’ve been back here for almost 3 years.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
About all I have used for a good while have been cast with a SAECO #069 - a copy of the 200 grain SWC Hensley & Gibbs #68. I've also owned a real #68 mould. The SAECO design is at least as accurate as the original. These bullets will feed through any gun. Same for the SAECO 185 grain #130. The Lyman #452460 and #452488 as well as the similar RCBS design make very accurate bullets, but some unmodified guns won't feed any of these bullets reliably.

Lee moulds...The 190-200 gr. SWC (non-tumble lube design) makes an accurate bullet that also feeds well. I tried tumble lubing just enough years ago to find I'm not a fan of the process, but seems it works well for some. Lee moulds are a bit fragile in comparison with other moulds, but generally work fine. Just don't expect them to last forever.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have this one on order at present .I shoot a lot of hard ball as well and think this should track a similar POI. We'll see....

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
FlyboyFlem,

Do you have any problems with leading in that Glock? Of course there was, all that is needed is a simple cleaning. But I was wondering if you did something to prevent leading with that bullet.

The only thing needed is to size them correctly for the barrel, and avoid using really soft alloys. With a properly sized and lubed bullet cast of something like clip on WW alloy, that factory Glock barrel will be more accurate and less prone to leading than any Lone Wolf barrel, in my experience.

But guys do love to repeat that line about not shooting lead in Glocks. Read it on the internets, it must be true.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another opinion noted : The key as these articles explain is proper sizing,cleaning and alloys as least a BHN of WW or harder.. The myth I see repeated is how much more accurate the poly barrels are vs standard rifling..I shoot a lot of both and my 1911 will hang with the Glock easily all the time ..Again it has to do with proper sizing although some even disagree with this approach..

I look at used handguns frequently and see more fouled Glocks than many other brands..My guess they were traded for loss of accuracy, not the gun's fault by any means but the guy behind the trigger..Without a doubt the MFG warning has to do with liability since they have no control over the buyer's diligence for cleaning...Leading in polygonal barrels causing excessive pressure? Don't know but I'm sure it would have some bearing on safety.

The SS Lone Wolf bbl shoots great think I'll keep it..

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 02/25/19.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
I have several 45 molds could send you a few from each if you are interested. Was planning on selling the molds got rid of my 45.
Lee 452228
Lyman/ideal
452515/670

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Like whats been said, any one of the H&G clones should shoot and feed well. RCBS makes a good casting quality mold and they offer that bullet. The RCBS mold will cost more than the Lee but in my experience it will be easier to cast with. Midway often has them and the handles on sale for 5 or 10 dollars off.

lightman
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bullet molds by Arsenal Molds (you can order them in any diameter, no extra charge):

453-210 swc flatbase ( H&G 68 copy) by Arsenal
http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=63&limit=99999999999

Heavier weight...
453-230 RF by Arsenal
http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=102&limit=99999999999

Do you have a lubrisizer? If not, reconsider the tumble lube design.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Maybe I’m doing it wrong but I’ve never loaded any swaged bullets and not had leading issues. I don’t cast my bullets really hard but I have pistols and revolvers that have never seen a jacketed bullet and have went hundreds and hundreds of rounds without any cleaning or loss of accuracy.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Agreed. I avoid swaged lead bullets myself. It's not always about leading issues, but I've yet to see a soft swaged lead bullet that's as accurate as a good WW alloy cast bullet in anything except the very lowest pressure plinking loads. Even in those very mild loads, I get better accuracy from 10-12 BHN than I do from 5-6 BHN as swaged bullets usually are.

Also those "jacketed" bullets are not jacketed, they're just a thin copper plating over the soft swaged lead.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I shot swaged lead one time in my Colt 45 and made a choice that i will never shoot them again in any pistol i own.

Even shooting them slow they leaded up the barrel.

I use them in a pot to alloy with other lead for the muzzleloader.

I have 3 molds that cast 200-230 grain round nose for it now and love them.

Might look at N.O.E molds and see what they have,i have several of their molds and have not been disappointed price was good too.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
LBT 215 FNB .452, sized .452.

For best results, heat treated wheelweights. This is true for shallow Colt rifling as well as polygonal rifling, as the old timers like Elmer used straight lino to "hold the rifling", which means the bullets are hard enough not to lose any side engagement from the lands, which is where the leading starts in most shallow land arms.

It's nice to make a ton of inexpensive bullets, but best results for a ton of cheap bullets don't come from cheap or second rate equipment.

Said another way, I wouldn't cast anything at all if I used LEE moulds or pots. I'd rather watch paint dry or the WNBA....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The only times I had leading in 1911 Colts (1911, 1911A1, and a Series-70 1911A1) was when I used straight linotype. Got poor accuracy too no matter the powder or charge. Switched back to 10-12bhn soft alloy and all was right with the world again. .452 diameter always too.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/07/19.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Leading and poor sustained accuracy usually go hand in hand.

It's pretty difficult to have leading in a fixed chamber in such a low pressure cartridge; fit and losing land engagement being the primary suspects.

Once fit and finish is knocked out of the park, you don't even need but a sliver of lube (not the hard wax) at regular 45 auto pressures. Gas checks are certainly overkill unless the barrel is cobby; at that point, soft or hard doesn't matter.

I run tested 25 BHN stuff in most contraptions and have nary an issue. Another plus is that the hard stuff feeds like like jacketed and correctly designed ones feed as slick as hardball.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Papag
Lyman 452460.

Ditto this bullet. Very accurate for me in a 1911, bullseye or w231, wlp primer. Size to 0.452, alox lube.

I use the Lee carbide crimp die, crimp to 0.469" at case mouth. Never had a fail to feed.

GOA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just now picked up another 1911, a Series-70 Gold Cup, '78 vintage, mint condition. The deal sweetener was the H&G #68 200gr.SWC mold that came with it. The old boy swears that 4.0gr. Bullseye can't be beat in this gun shooting that bullet. I tend to believe him and can't wait to prove him right!

Looking back over the previous posts in this thread I note my comment regarding less than 100% feeding reliability with SWC's in my ancient 1911. I should have clarified that it has its original barrel which you may know is not chamfered at the breech end, it just has a tiny little feed ramp bottom center. Those relatively sharp edges the rest of the way around don't tolerate much ammo that isn't radiused from the bullet tip right down to the case mouth. Really hard taper crimping of SWC's helps a lot but still generates about one failure to feed in every two or three magazine fulls.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/30/19.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Try having about the thickness of a nickel of bullet shank coming out of the case, then taper crimp. I had one that fed and shot the best with the bullet just barely engraving the bullet, barely...200g SWC from a Saeco mold.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.