Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’m looking for some help figuring out my layering system for a December western hunt.
Pretty well got the base , and mid layers.
I usually start with a lightweight synthetic crew followed by a core heavyweight hoody, or a 200 weight 1/4 zip.
Now where should I go ?
I will need an outer layer . I have a MT050 jacket I was thinking of using , but others have suggested this wasn’t a good option.
So is something like the Jetstream the route to go?
Insulation layer ?
Puffy jacket or vest ?
Kelvin lite hoody ? Kelvin Lite vest ? EMS puffy ? Badlands inferno ?
Do I just skip the totally weatherproof gortex layer ?

GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
After a base and mid-layer I just add a light insulation layer. I use the Arc’teryx Atom. Then add a more robust puffy for when it’s real cold. I use a Kifaru Lost Park. I do keep a light rain jacket in the pack. Don’t think I’ve ever worn it. I used to use a shell, the Kuiu Guide DCS, but don’t think it really does anything useful.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by prm
After a base and mid-layer I just add a light insulation layer. I use the Arc’teryx Atom. Then add a more robust puffy for when it’s real cold. I use a Kifaru Lost Park. I do keep a light rain jacket in the pack. Don’t think I’ve ever worn it. I used to use a shell, the Kuiu Guide DCS, but don’t think it really does anything useful.

The Jetstream and the Arc’teryx atom look as they are pretty similar in what they do.
Am I right on my thinking ?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No. Jetstream is more of a shell. Not much insulating properties. Think of the Atom as a light puffy. I’m not against shells, I just don’t think it works for me. If I were hunting more in thick cover where a puffy may get ripped, or dealing with showers or more wet conditions I’d use one. You mentioned December out west, doubt you’ll be dealing with any rain so I’d focus on warmth. But if you want a more robust outer layer, the Jetstream is probably a good choice. I just tried a Kuiu Axis hybrid, liked the jacket it just didn’t fit me. Sleeves were too long relative to body size.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So then if a more durable outer layer like the Jetstream is needed , would a puffy (kelvin lite hoody, EMS puffy, or even the LPP work over the top of the jet stream ? If so how cold would this be good to ?

Last edited by Stilllearning; 02/16/19.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What type of hunt, lodge, backpack?

Elevation?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Will be closer to a lodge style hunt . Up to eleven thousand feet.
So I will be able to have extra things at the lodge or truck.
Limiting factor is probably day pack and budget.
Don’t mean to seem stupid , just a drastically different type of hunt than the Eastern stand hunting I’m used to.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You could use the Jetstream as an outer layer with light base/mid-layer while hiking around and then add the puffy of your choice when you stop. How cold that will work to depends on the mid layer you’re wearing and tolerance for cold. And of course which puffy you choose. At 11k in December I’d go with about as warm a setup as I could. Realize the Jetstream, and all other shells, have no loft and thus very little heat retention.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The issue I having trouble wrapping my mind around is this.
If the temps are single digits or below , or even 20’s with the wind blowing ; I’m afraid I’ll be cold while moving wearing only a aero wool base , and a core heavyweight hoodie .
Isn’t the wind gonna cut right through me ?
I would think the atom and the likes of would be a static piece . I’m I wrong on my thinking.

So I guess what I’m thinking is I need a mid to light insulating active layer , and then when stationary throw on something like the LLP over everything.

Have I got this all wrong ?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In the situation you described, I’d wear my base layer, 240 Peleton and Atom and toss on the LPP on when stopped. 240 and Atom are quite good with wind. I’m sure there are many other good combinations.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm a sweater....

Even in temps down to 10-15, I will start hiking with a long sleeve base layer only, maybe a light shell over it of it's windy. It'll be cold for a bit. Any more than this and I'll get really sweaty and hot on the hike in to glass/hunt, etc. Most of my hike-ins are pretty physical though.

Upon reaching my destination, I'll either switch out my usually soaked base layer with a dry one, add a lofted puffy, and an outer jacket. If it's really cold while glassing, I'll throw on two mid layers.....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
Don’t mean to seem stupid , just a drastically different type of hunt than the Eastern stand hunting I’m used to.

No worries, gear planning is half the fun of these trips,

but, December at 11k?

A rain jacket? Hell to the NO...........

I understand budgets, but lets be serious,

Sunrise at 11K, in the wind, once you start shivering,

You'll regret being the miser. Got the coin for the lodge hunt but no moola for a worthy jacket?

Elk hunt?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth

No worries, gear planning is half the fun of these trips,

but, December at 11k?

A rain jacket? Hell to the NO...........

I understand budgets, but lets be serious,

Sunrise at 11K, in the wind, once you start shivering,

You'll regret being the miser. Got the coin for the lodge hunt but no moola for a worthy jacket?

Elk hunt?

Never said I didn’t have the funds to buy worthy jacket.
I don’t know what I need that is why I’m here trying to ask questions and figure it out.
If a already had something that might work I saw no need not to utilize it .
The rain jacket as a outer layer I understand now is not a good option.
I learned something and have proceeded to find out what I need to do.
I’m asking for layering suggestions.
Do you have one ?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by GregW
I'm a sweater....

Even in temps down to 10-15, I will start hiking with a long sleeve base layer only, maybe a light shell over it of it's windy. It'll be cold for a bit. Any more than this and I'll get really sweaty and hot on the hike in to glass/hunt, etc. Most of my hike-ins are pretty physical though.

Upon reaching my destination, I'll either switch out my usually soaked base layer with a dry one, add a lofted puffy, and an outer jacket. If it's really cold while glassing, I'll throw on two mid layers.....

Pretty much sums me up as well.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Do you have one ?

You had mentioned budget, only reason I went there,

The poster above me, MCH, mentioned the Arc'teryx Thorium Hoody, He wears this jacket, ask him for his advice.

Now that it's in my head I imagine I'll be ordering soon. Looks ideal for what I'm looking for.

Many options out there, I think your answer is in the "warmest puffy" thread

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Do you have one ?

You had mentioned budget, only reason I went there,

The poster above me, MCH, mentioned the Arc'teryx Thorium Hoody, He wears this jacket, ask him for his advice.

Now that it's in my head I imagine I'll be ordering soon. Looks ideal for what I'm looking for.

Many options out there, I think your answer is in the "warmest puffy" thread

Yea I guess what I meant was I am willing to buy what I need , but I would like to get it right the first time , and not waste money on stuff I don’t need or won’t be happy with.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm a sweater....

Hope I'm not derailing the thread, but may I ask what size pack you use to accommodate all the clothes you carry?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I am hunting Montana in late Nov. early Dec. I carry two coats when I am tent/pickup camping. I start with a lighter coat for hiking to my glassing area then when I get there I switch jackets to my 050 which you said you already own. If it starts to get to warm while I am moving glassing areas I open the pit zips until I reach my destination. Sit on my pad and zip my coat up and enjoy the day. When I start down the hill I put my lighter coat on and head for camp. I wear base layers with a heavy quarter zip as my everyday gear and longs with heavy pants. Have not been cold yet even with temps down to -10.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I'm a sweater....

Hope I'm not derailing the thread, but may I ask what size pack you use to accommodate all the clothes you carry?

I run a Kifaru Reckoning...

The clothes I'm not wearing I strap between the bag and a guide lid for easy access...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.