Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
I wish I could have met him and some of the other writers he wrote about. Order is in. Thanks

I shared a camp with him for a few days on Anticosti Island about 2000 and enjoyed his company. Jon is well versed on a number topics not limited to guns and cars but food and wine. Italian Amarone was his favorite at the time.

He also showed me how to get a full size bolt rifle in a shorter travel case by simply taking it out of the stock and voila! You have a break down rifle. If the rifle has good bedding, it returns to zero. I've done it a number of times with success, and caring a shorter case through airports and in cars is a blessing.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had to laugh out loud at this one. I knew Jerome Knap as he booked my first African trip for me. Great guy.

]
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dwayne,

In 1997 I was one of several writers who put together a book titled THE COMPLETE HUNTERS CATALOG, and among other things we solicited short essays from a few dozen well-known writers. One was a Canadian, the late Jerome Knap, who along with writing quite a bit became a well-known booking agent for hunting and fishing trips.
(I am sure Jon knew Jerry, who I also contacted, asking him to write a short essay on handloading. He did, and it's in the book as well, explaining why handloaders always spend more money than non-handloaders.)

Here's Jerry Knap's story:

When still a young fellow I served a stint as a forest ranger in some of northern Ontario’s best moose country. One fall afternoon I was driving down a logging road in my government pickup when a scarlet-clad hunter jumped out of the bushes and excitedly flailed his arms about.
“Boy, am I glad to see you!” he shouted excitedly. “I just got a great big moose over there!”
“Congratulations,” I answered,” but what’s the problem?”
“The problem is I don’t know what to do,” the hunter stammered. “I’ve shot deer before, but no one told me how big a moose was. Can you come and show me what to do? And maybe take a picture of me with the moose? I’d be glad to pay you.” The man’s hands shook like poplar leaves in an autumn breeze.
“Yeah, I guess I’d better show you what to do,” I replied, shaking my head. “Payment won’t be necessary.”
The first problem was finding the moose. The man couldn’t remember exactly where to look, but eventually found the young bull, not very big as moose go.
The second problem was finding the rifle. While trying to take a picture of his moose, the man had laid his rifle down and couldn’t remember where. I finally found it 30 feet from the moose in a pile of slash. After emptying the magazine, I posed the hunter and his .300 Weatherby with the moose and took a roll of photos with his camera.
Next I dressed the moose, while the hunter marched around saying, “This animal is bigger than a horse.” It turned out he was a farmer from Indiana who’d had a bumper corn crop, so had decided to go moose hunting. He’d heard northern Ontario was full of moose, so drove up.
“How are you going to get this moose home?” I asked.
“Oh, I have a car on a side road up a ways.”
“Once this moose is cut up and wrapped, you’ll be able to get him into your car,” I said.
“Are you kidding?” the farmer said. “I’m taking this moose back whole! I want everybody back home to see him.”
I suggested he rent a U-Haul trailer, and that a few $10 bills would probably get a tractor with a fork lift from a nearby logging camp to load the moose. With that I left to do my job.
Returning a couple hours later, I found the Indiana moose hunter on the logging road with a tractor and a couple of lumberjacks, just finishing a bottle of Old Moose Hunter. The moose was tied to the roof of a big, late-model Buick.
The animal hung over the roof on all sides, and there was no way it would stay on for the ride down the logging road, let alone the trip to Indiana. Even worse, the moose had completely flattened the Buick’s roof.
“Well, that was a stupid fool thing to do,” I said, in slightly more colorful language. “It’ll cost a lot to get that roof fixed.”
“Don’t worry about that, son,” said the farmer. “In Indiana we got lots of Buicks, but we ain’t got no moose!”

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx Hatari

Great Idea for transporting.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7mmJRS
This is for you, Brad: my current Lambo. I've not shot off the top of this one.

[Linked Image]

Above image posted for JRS.

Here's a link to the original larger photo (2.0 MB, 3358x2084): https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/78189.jpg

--Bob

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I recently came across a older article by JRS in a Sporting Afield USA titled "Are you over scoped?" . The most intelligent and common sense article on rifle scopes that I have ever read. Glad to be a member of the 24 hour campfire; where writers of his caliber are contributors. Thank you sir! I can see where you and Mule Deer would share a common views on a lot of issues! Maybe that is why I enjoy the contributions and insight from both of you fine writers!
CJ

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife of 43 years gifted me your book for our anniversary, love that gal. I long ago read "Unrepentant Sinner", so I snuck ahead in your book, as I was eager to see what you said about Charles Askins. An honest assessment in my opinion on your part. I truly believe in this day and age he would be in jail for some of the killing he did. One thing is for sure, successful gun fighters are not bashful about pulling the trigger. I have often wondered if he ever met Frank Hammer.

I believe you may have had some influence on the return of CRF rifle actions, which is mostly what I grew up with here in Alaska. Your articles on DGR's made me yearn for a BRNO action, but I was fortunate to have access to old Mod. 70's and a 03A3 Springfield. A rifle firing the 7mm diameter bullet seemed to be of great interest to you, with good reason. An internet acquaintance of mine is and accomplished long range shooter and his choice for that when hunting is a 7mm Win. Short Mag. firing one of those high BC low drag bullets. Elmer Keith's articles and living in Alaska made me go the other route. So it has always been a 30-06 or .338 Win. for me.

From the picture it appears as though you have done well for your self, good for you. I was also very touched by the wonderful words you have for your wife, my wife is my greatest treasure. It is good to see you take the time to share on this forum, I hope it goes well and some thing tells me it will.

My wife of 43 years and me leave for a week of caribou hunting today. Rain is predicted for five of the days, but we have good gear and can pick blue berries in he rain. If it is to bad I can lay in bed with your book and a good cup of coffee. We are bringing the 36' Toy Hauler instead of the wall tent, the wisdom of old age!

Our rifle of choice for this up coming hunt is a Tika Superlite in 6.5 Creed, I like the darn thing in spite of the lack of walnut and blue steel. It is a definite departure from the type of rifle I prefer, but the good 100 yard groups with the 127 grain Barnes LRX bullets should work well on the caribou, or about any thing else Alaska has.

Best wishes and thanks for a good book and many fine articles.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
My wife of 43 years gifted me your book for our anniversary, love that gal. I long ago read "Unrepentant Sinner", so I snuck ahead in your book, as I was eager to see what you said about Charles Askins. An honest assessment in my opinion on your part. I truly believe in this day and age he would be in jail for some of the killing he did. One thing is for sure, successful gun fighters are not bashful about pulling the trigger. I have often wondered if he ever met Frank Hammer.

There’s a relatively new biography out on Hamer that mentions his doing some “consulting work ” with federal agents in El Paso during the 1930s. Been a few months since I read the book but the part that stuck out was Hamer couldn’t figure out how the feds we’re losing so many officers until he heard they were yelling “hands up” as soon as they encountered smugglers. To teach the error of their ways Hamer supposedly led them to a ambush site on the river where he opened up on a group of smugglers with his Rem model 8 and then yelled “hands up”. So wouldn’t surprise me if they’d met in that time period and that AskIns got some ideas from him

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
hatari,

Jon's experiences when traveling to hunt helped me a lot when I started traveling frequently in the late 1980's. In fact it didn't take long to acquire a take-down case, a lightweight model found at a local store, to use with bolt rifles with the barreled action removed from the stock. Eventually wore it out (probably Ingwe's fault, since he borrowed it for one safari) and now have a heavy-duty molded-plastic case from Browning that's a lot sturdier--and heavier, though it has wheels to make getting around easier.

John also inspired me to pare down my other traveling gear to a minimum, something I've also become obsessive about over the years. When hunting you never know when luggage carts and other handy devices might be absent. Once spent a month in Africa with my take-down case, my daypack (which doubled as a carry-on) and a 12x15x20 inch duffle bag. Of course it's easier to do that in Africa than Alaska, but the same principles help even there.

Jon also inspired me to try 6x scopes, which I found great for general big game hunting--and tougher than most variables.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Kellywk

To teach the error of their ways Hamer supposedly led them to a ambush site on the river where he opened up on a group of smugglers with his Rem model 8 and then yelled “hands up”. So wouldn’t surprise me if they’d met in that time period and that AskIns got some ideas from him

Do unto others before they do unto you.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jon also inspired me to try 6x scopes, which I found great for general big game hunting--and tougher than most variables.

Thanks to Jon and John, I have several of these, and find them to be extremely reliable and useful.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just want to thank all those who've had good things to say about my book. I am humbled...but then those of you who know me know that I'll get over that in a NY minute! This year I'll again be at SHOT and at the SCI thing, so if our paths cross, don't be shy about saying hello.
JRS

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great reading, thanks for bringing it to our attention JB! Looks like he lived just miles away from where I was raised, and frequented the same gunshop as my dad and I, and didn't know it! Read and enjoyed his columns when I was growing up.

Jeff

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bought a copy off of Amazon and received it this past Tuesday. Very enjoyable and easy read. One book that I feel should be given to a pre-teen to early teenage male to instill in oneself the desire and fortitude to chase your dream, no matter the naysayers. Jon's graduation from Highschool and College and his path to being a gunwriter is good advice and the taking advantage of opportunities that opened the door for other things.

I appreciate JB in sharing this and the other's that contributed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just finished Sundra's book as well as both volumes of Gungack in recent weeks. Had not occurred to me, until reading Mr Sundra's, that I had lived through a sort of golden age (60's-90's) of gun journalism.
I enjoyed Barsness' and Sundra's peek inside their trade, and have come to give great weight their opinions.
At any rate, quality writing is getting harder to come by, and these 3 books were a clear reminder of what good writing can be.
The current digital world seems to have brought forth a plethora of truly light weight reading, rarely worth the time it takes to read. These books were a great respite, in other words, 100 buck well spent.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I designed that stock when I was consulting for them. When they decided they didn't need me anymore, they removed my name and it morphed into a slightly different geometry. Even when it wore my name, it was thicker in the wrist than I specified. JRS

“Thick wrists” are not desirable on gun stocks or....women.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to add that I admire fellows that were not only smart enough to make a better than average living out their personal passions, but are/were regarded well enough to impact the industry.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just want to check in to say "Hell, I'm Still Here." Still Field Editor for SCI's SAFARI Magazine; Contributing Editor to RIFLE SHOOTER, and I do gun stuff and the food/wine articles for BALLISTIC Magazine and some other Athlon Publishing mags. Just had a knee replacement done October 13 and almost back to 100 percent. Recently had my silver Huracan (my third Lambo) wrapped in Burnt Orange. The attached pic was taken by a pro for the company that did the wrapping job. I did a piece on the project for the current issue of BALLISTIC. (sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to post a pic. Maybe someone out there could help me).

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good to hear from you, wondered what you been up too. I need a knee myself. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just want to check in to say "Hell, I'm Still Here." Still Field Editor for SCI's SAFARI Magazine; Contributing Editor to RIFLE SHOOTER, and I do gun stuff and the food/wine articles for BALLISTIC Magazine and some other Athlon Publishing mags. Just had a knee replacement done October 13 and almost back to 100 percent. Recently had my silver Huracan (my third Lambo) wrapped in Burnt Orange. The attached pic was taken by a pro for the company that did the wrapping job. I did a piece on the project for the current issue of BALLISTIC. (sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to post a pic. Maybe someone out there could help me).

Are you planning to be a regular?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Always good to see you in print and even better here.
Glad you recovered well from knee surgery.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That was one of the first mags I bought off a shelf. I wore mine out and found this one at a Gun Show...
go figure. wink grin I still have it and I have a BDL 8mm RM. wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jon,

Good to hear your knee operation went well! Everybody I know who's had one hasn't had any problems--which is encouraging since my right knee (the one that was severely dislocated in 2013) is starting to "crackle" considerably....

Can help you post a photo. The directions Rick posted are OK, but don't make it sound as easy as it really is.Will send you an e-mail....

Best,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 11 invisible), 1,492 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.