Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What's up with that chit?

Recently a dietitian suggested eating oatmeal as a way to help get some vitamins while dealing with this dam stomach thing so since I like oatmeal I bought a box. Well I'm terrible about not reading labels so when I opened em they turned out to be Steel Cut instead of the plain old stuff I'm used to. I've tried em twice now and cant stand the dam things. What kind of dumb ass hippy POS dreamed up these stupid frikin things?

It's a good thing the dogs seem to like em cause that's the only ones eating em around here.

crazy grin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good morning Mr. Cranky.

Here let me help you.

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I’m not even sure what the difference is?

Figured it was just marketing jargon. Like “cold filtered beer”.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's just mean.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like steel cut better myself. Wife buys the Bobs Mill from Costco. I prefer the Irish ones from the can. Hope you didnt cook them like the pressed precooked your used to.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What's the difference?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’m not even sure what the difference is?

Figured it was just marketing jargon. Like “cold filtered beer”.

Nope......instead of the regular flaky stuff it's ground up oats about the size of barley....maybe a little smaller.
Takes forever to cook and the texture is terrible. It kinda smells like oatmeal but that's as close as it gets.

I'm sure the purists will be along to tell us how superior it is to the "processed" stuff shortly.

Stand by.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 02/16/19.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I'm sure the purists will be along to tell us how superior it is to the "processed" stuff shortly.

Stand by.

LOL......I see Fats was doing just that while I posted.

Thanks for keeping my faith in the 'fire alive Fats but I'll stick with the processed, tasteless, unhealthy stuff.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I might even pick up some margarine to put in it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It is ground, not rolled.Steel cut stays with you longer,but takes longer to cook.Try 1/4 cup of oats and 1/2 cup of water .If it is too thick, use more water. Put it in the microwave for 3&1/2minutes on high, then let set a few minutes. Use brown sugar and milk,or mix a pack of flavored instant with it and use 1 cup of water. I use that mixture when hunting only because it stays with me .Straight rolled oats and I'm hungry by 8 O'clock

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Stand by.

LOL......I see Fats was doing just that while I posted.

Thanks for keeping my faith in the 'fire alive Fats but I'll stick with the processed, tasteless, unhealthy stuff.

Always happy to oblige a fellow Firecamper. grin

"Maybe we're all happy."

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I personally prefer the texture of steel cut oats to rolled...Takes a bit to cook but far superior IMO. I enjoy them for breakfast with butter and maple syrup, add a touch of cinnamon and or nutmeg...Sometimes use them instead of pasta with a nice meat sauce. Whatever strikes your fancy, or not.

Beee

Get out there and mix 'em up!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Before she passed away, my wife and I used to watch 'The Kitchen' on Food Network. This recipe comes from there. I'll make it on a Saturday morning if I have company, so far everyone has liked it. I usually drizzle maple syrup over my portion, other people add milk just like regular oatmeal.

1 cup steel-cut oats

1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts

1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 large egg

2 cups milk

1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 cup diced apple (about 1 medium apple)

1/4 cup chopped cooked bacon (preferably maple-smoked)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Stir together the oats, walnuts, coconut and salt in a large bowl to combine. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg, then stir in the milk, brown sugar and olive oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir to combine. Add the apple and bacon to the mixture and stir to evenly distribute.

Pour the oat mixture into an 8-by-8-inch baking dish. Cover loosely with foil and bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes. Serve hot, scooped into bowls, or let cool completely to room temperature and cut into squares for serving.

Dale

This space for rent

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Irish steel cut oatmeal + raisins + chopped dates + brown sugar = damn good breakfast. Put the dried fruit in while cooking the oats, add extra water as needed.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Found a use for it.

I put some in one of my bird feeders......they seem to like it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FatCity67
I like steel cut better myself. Wife buys the Bobs Mill from Costco. I prefer the Irish ones from the can. Hope you didnt cook them like the pressed precooked your used to.

Yep the Irish steel cut oats, better tasting and texture... imo

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Yea.....I used the amount of water the directions called for. I can read ya know.

Instant oats are pre cooked... rolled oats are steamed and then rolled so they're technically not pre cooked.

Least that's what wiki says.

" When it comes to rolled oats, they are usually all okay to eat “raw.” I use raw in quotations because they have already been steamed, so although minimally-processed, they aren't technically raw"

You guys are something else......it's just a bowl of oatmeal for crying out loud.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Found a use for it.

I put some in one of my bird feeders......they seem to like it.

I'm rolling here (pun intended) LMAO

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wonder if you can fireform brass with it ? laugh

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.