Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought a rifle with a painted (DIY) composite stock. I like to seal it with some sort of clear matte finish. Any recommendations for the product I should use? Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Flattening paint is done by adding silica to the paint and it will disturb the surface as the solvents evaporate. The solvents are usually water in acrylics (urethanes usually) at first and then lesser amounts of hydrocarbons... point in the description, the surface is rough and will wear quickly making it a poor sealant. For serious sealing always use gloss and roughen the surface.

On the other hand, the stock probably does not need it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure where you came up with that. I spent a good deal of my career working with coatings and that's the first I've heard that. Coatings are flattened by adding more pigment by volume to the coating and using pigment with a coarser grind. Gloss paint uses more resin and less pigment, and the pigment is finely ground. In any case, we are talking about a clear coating. How do you get a clear coating when you add sand to it?
There is no silica in Krylon Clear sealer.

Krylon Clear Sealer, Flat

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really, how come they use it in every other matte finish they sell, but not this one? Silica has been the cheap and easy route to matte finishes for a very long time. You will find references everywhere to avoid matte finishes if durability is going to be an issue for the reasons I stated. There is silica in all of their matte finishes. It does not have to be listed on the MSDS because it is considered inert and is covered under nondisclosure rules of proprietary mixtures.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Really, how come they use it in every other matte finish they sell, but not this one? Silica has been the cheap and easy route to matte finishes for a very long time. You will find references everywhere to avoid matte finishes if durability is going to be an issue for the reasons I stated. There is silica in all of their matte finishes. It does not have to be listed on the MSDS because it is considered inert and is covered under nondisclosure rules of proprietary mixtures.

Sitka, I took a closer look at the MSDS for the Krylon flat clear sealer and I see that indeed there is +/- 3% Amorphous Silica in the mix. You were correct on this and I stand corrected. Amorphous Silica is a hazardous substance with an OSHA exposure limit and is listed on the MSDS sheet.
I have not found references "everywhere" to avoid matte finishes. In fact, they exist for a reason and are common. When I use this finish on a painted stock I typically apply 5-6 light coats and have never had issues with it wearing off; if it did it is a simple matter to re-apply.

Last edited by NVhntr; 02/07/19.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Originally Posted by NVhntr
Not sure where you came up with that. I spent a good deal of my career working with coatings and that's the first I've heard that. Coatings are flattened by adding more pigment by volume to the coating and and using pigment with a coarser grind. Gloss paint uses more resin and less pigment, and the pigment is finely ground. In any case, we are talking about a clear coating. How do you get a clear coating when you add sand to it?
There is no silica in Krylon Clear sealer.

Krylon Clear Sealer, Flat

Just wanted to say, I appreciate hearing good info like this from people who know their stuff, so thanks for sharing. I've heard the silica thing before too, but that's outside my expertise so I never really knew the truth of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Sitka, I took a closer look at the MSDS for the Krylon flat clear sealer and I see that indeed there is +/- 3% Amorphous Silica in the mix. You were correct on this and I stand corrected. Amorphous Silica is a hazardous substance with an OSHA exposure limit and is listed on the MSDS sheet.
I have not found references "everywhere" to avoid matte finishes. In fact, they exist for a reason and are common. When I use this finish on a painted stock I typically apply 5-6 light coats and have never had issues with it wearing off; if it did it is a simple matter to re-apply.

No harm no foul, and thank you for rechecking. And too, thank you for pointing out silica is now required on the MSDS.

My background in finishes runs heavy to clear wood finishes and in that portion of the industry, silica is the primary matting agent. I can show you many references to avoiding matte finishes due to wear issues if you fail to find them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could both be right. Silica is added to matte varnish and clear paint where there is no pigment. Now if you have a pigment adjusting the size and quantity of the pigment would do it. But I don't know if that's what they do.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nighthawk
You could both be right. Silica is added to matte varnish and clear paint where there is no pigment. Now if you have a pigment adjusting the size and quantity of the pigment would do it. But I don't know if that's what they do.

It depends on the pigment...

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I finish all my painted stocks with Acra-Coat - toughest stuff I've worked with the last ten years.

Last edited by Offshoreman; 02/14/19.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
I finish all my painted stocks with Acra-Coat - toughest stuff I've worked with the last ten years.

If you do not mind the yellowing...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
It's not really noticeable with medium to dark colors. I do gray, green, tan - some with spiderweb, & black - don't notice a yellowing effect.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
It's not really noticeable with medium to dark colors. I do gray, green, tan - some with spiderweb, & black - don't notice a yellowing effect.

Absolutely, if on dark colors and such the yellowing is not an issue.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winter camo patterns will really show it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You may have a point there - not exactly an issue here smile

AKA The P-Man smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I thought I read you just got you some?

wink

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm 20 miles from the coast between Charleston and Hilton Head - we've not had any snow yet - most of the time when we do, it's in Feb or Mar. Not much hunting then smile

AKA The P-Man smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I usually go with the Krylon for simplicity but Brownells has a spray epoxy that is pretty tuff. Yes it will yellow but not an issue on dark colors or camo. It will also sugar up or get chalky over time but by that time it is ready for a redo. Imron used to have a clear version and this was the best, not sure if it is available anymore. A clear gel coat is probably tops on wear resistance and also non yellowing but trickier to spray right, but it is worth the learning curve. These come in both polyester and epoxy with the latter being much better.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The polyester finishes are much stronger and harder, but that only makes it harder to get a matte finish. They really "shine" when used for gloss finishes.
wink

And that pesky thing about a spray booth and supplied air...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
320 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.