Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tikkanut

this guy left an empty spot in my heart.......

buried him last week........

[Linked Image]

I had one as well for 13 years, broke my heart when I had to put her down.

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Got em! Rottweilers, love the breed, smart, fiercely loyal, albeit a bit thickheaded and stubborn, kinda like their owner. cool

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have had many dogs, some I chose and others that chose me.. Lost or Drummer, a Golden Retriever a few months ago. He was 13. Still have Layla a Black Russian terrier. She is the guard dog when I'm not around. A real lover, that thinks she's a lap dog.. Most will not know these, they are the Russian Army's guard dog. She was the runt of the littler, only 95#'s. Our second is another weird one, but a great dog A Neederlandsie Kookier Hundjie.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
IF you can find a GOOD Weimaraner (out of one of the HUNTING, rather than show, lines) you will have a GREAT general purpose working dog. = The Gray Ghost was bred to be a VERSATILE "generalist" & do any number of jobs fairly well, though they aren't as good at guard/police work as GSD, won't point birds as well as an English pointer, won't tree as well as a Plott hound and/or retrieve like a Chessie, they can do ALL of those things fairly acceptably.

just my OPINION, tex

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Gave up on dogs when I quit quail hunting.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Number one breed in my heart is the long haired German Shepherd. Having said that, I wouldn’t mind having a Drathaar.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 02/17/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had several Setters over the years and if I lived out in the country and could afford it, I'd love to have one each of the four breeds of Setters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My late great Akita, man i miss him!
always wanted a dogos argentinos , but am too old to handle one properly.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gunner500
Got em! Rottweilers, love the breed, smart, fiercely loyal, albeit a bit thickheaded and stubborn, kinda like their owner. cool

I have had 2 of them ^^^^^^^^^all of the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Love to have a Heeler, just don't live where one could do well currently. Hoping to rectify that. Have had most every other dog breed I've had an itch for over the last 50 years.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve owned two awesome hunting dogs over the years. Blue, a Black Lab was a champion retriever at several puppy trials that my trainer entered him into. I stopped the trials eventually and let him just hunt his ass off on upland birds, pheasants, ducks and geese...Blue would “Mark” ducks from his hidden spot inside my blind. Slight whimper from him told me birds were working the edge of the deeks...High fliers he wouldn’t make any sound knowing they weren’t gonna turn.

Flyer was a small Springer Spaniel that I bought from a guy cheap who had dumped a lot of hunt training into her. He didn’t have the time to hunt her much. He sold her to me feeling bad about the dog not getting to do what he trained it for...Super dog. She didn’t realize she was undersized when she make a long swim retrieves with a goose in her mouth that would almost sink her swimming back to the blind. Both dogs were excellent in temperament and loved to work (hunt) or be treated like royalty at home after helping me fill limits.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had mostly hounds, of various breeds, a couple of good pit bulls - and some crossed between the two, Right now we have two Catahoulas - of several in the last few years. They are probably the best all-'round dogs I've ever been around - VERY intelligent, and TOUGH!

Mike Holmes

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tikkanut

this guy left an empty spot in my heart.......

buried him last week........

[Linked Image]

I can see how that would be. Sorry for your loss. Soft spot for Goldies myself. Wonderful family dog.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've probably got another 5-7 years with my lab left. By that time I'll be well up into my 70's. I might just settle for a rescue dog. They seem to be grateful, for saving their life.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The dog threads on the 'fire are great. We just got our Sheltie Lilly a year ago.

When someone else mentioned wanting to have a dog back that's already gone on, my first though was how much I agree, and my second thought was how much I would love to see my little Sheltie, Hope, again... One of the best and worst dogs I ever had (she loved me to death and totally hated everybody else)

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Oldelkhunter,
We have our third Airedale and they are a real pleasure. First was an Oorang strain and next two were a Mountain strain. These are muuch larger than conformation Airedale show dogs and were bred from hunting ‘dales from generations. I don’t hunt them as intended but track w them a long walk them a couple of times daily. They are real intuitive and smart. Also, love children.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
lots of good dogs in shelters waiting for you.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Would have loved to keep this dog: Dutch Shepherd

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I would love to have a german short haired pointer, but my wife and I decided to only adopt shelter dogs. We have 2 really good and spoiled mutts...One is half red healer and some kind of hound (probably some kind of pointer bird hound). The other looks mostly like a Dutch Shepard cattle dog..

Last edited by Rockymtnhigh; 02/17/19.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Would have loved to keep this dog: Dutch Shepherd

[Linked Image]

Those are some dang good dogs, but very moody and fiercely protective of their owners...We have had ours since she was a pup and have to watch her very closely when strangers are around, even when members of our family visits...Especially, when people are around our kids. We keep her in a cage when people come over that she is not used to being around...

Last edited by Rockymtnhigh; 02/17/19.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,235 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.