Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You guys that are shooting AR style platforms, You feel any pros or cons with left handed or right-handed versions?

Any reason not to look for a lefty or no big deal?

Just curious about your thoughts.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had a Stag LH model. I sold it when the last AR shortage happened. When I decided to get another (after the prices came back to earth) I went with a standard RH upper. I don't feel it's a big deal, an ambi safety is cheap and easy if you want it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I just got my first AR . StagLH I have other physical issues (besides being a lefty !)and I would not have got it if I had to get a RH one !I like that port and brass away from my face !

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by verns
I like that port and brass away from my face !

similar to my thoughts.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own 2 lefty Stags. Great rifles. I sold all my RH AR's when Stag started making these. I hate looking at an ejection port. Besides, a lefty should buy one just because a company spent the effort to develop something us lefty's asked.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I own 2 lefty Stags. Great rifles. I sold all my RH AR's when Stag started making these. I hate looking at an ejection port. Besides, a lefty should buy one just because a company spent the effort to develop something us lefty's asked.

Well stated...

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
My first ARs were right handed because left handed were harder to find in stock and cost a good bit more. Lately Stag has had some sales with left hand the same price so I bought one.For the reasons listed above a lefty is so much nicer.If I can do it without a big loss I'm going to go lefty on my other ones.I wonder if the people who always say just buy a right are left handed and have ever shot a left handed AR.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Stag, Rock River and who else makes Lefty's?

My bud has a righty RRA, damn thing is as accurate has my bolt 700 .223

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Three AR's. All RH. I tend to flip rifles, like the AR I have posted now. Figure the RH uppers will be easier to move. As noted above, just install Ambi safeties. Done...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Stag, Rock River and who else makes Lefty's?

My bud has a righty RRA, damn thing is as accurate has my bolt 700 .223

IIRC RRA requires a proprietary lower, Stag uses the "standard" lower. Not sure about anyone else out there.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by willycc
.... I wonder if the people who always say just buy a right are left handed and have ever shot a left handed AR.

Yes and yes.
If the thought of the ejection port on the right bothers you, then by all means go lefty, I've just never found it to be a problem. Unless they've changed, the lowers are still basically RH unless you add LH/ambi pieces. I haven't even bothered to add LH/ambi safeties to the 2 ARs I have now, I find the standard RH lever just as easy to use, but then I'm not a competition or tactical type shooter.

Last edited by tmitch; 02/17/19.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had a left hand Stag 6HL and sold it. I prefer the right handed AR's personally, for some of the reasons stated by others.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Good point.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'm quick to buy LH specific stuff, but I don't see where the AR ejection port is not LH. As long as the doesn't blow up, being able to see into it from the left makes it LH'd. This came up when Mossberg brought out so-called LH 500s. I'm pretty sure that is a RH gun.

Really, I'm more interested in ambidextrous fighting guns. A KelTec RDB with a suppressor on it is where I'd go if I didn't already have a stable full of AR15s. If you want an AR, get an Aero Precision set up for ambidextrous use.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Same for me, a 223 and a 6.8. More than satisfied.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve 2 stag ar15’s.

But have Raptor(?) ambi charging handles.

Never shot a Rh gun, so can’t compare.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

F
F
I have a full Stag LH 5.56 and I've built a RH 300 BO upper for it. Also built a RH Aero Precision AR-10. I actually prefer the RH eject on the upper. The brass ejection doesn't bother me and if something is wrong, the RH port is easier for us lefties to observe. I put an ambi safety and charge handle on the RH Aero Precision and I'm good to go.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fleet
I have a full Stag LH 5.56 and I've built a RH 300 BO upper for it. Also built a RH Aero Precision AR-10. I actually prefer the RH eject on the upper. The brass ejection doesn't bother me and if something is wrong, the RH port is easier for us lefties to observe. I put an ambi safety and charge handle on the RH Aero Precision and I'm good to go.

I agree.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kinda thought we might be more unanimous in this ........

You guys are killing me.........

Rightys have so many more options and manufacturers to chose from......

I'll hold off a bit, need to shoot my Sons and then go window shopping......

Appreciate the advice guys......

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I shoot left handed. These are what I use:

[Linked Image]

The more important piece of the puzzle is having the ambi controls. I prefer the raptor type charging handles, the BAD lever, and ambi safeties. You'll notice these are set up in an identical fashion, even my AR10 has a BAD lever, but I went with a Griffin Armament ambi charging handle instead of the raptor because it's beefier. All my rifles use the Armaspec ambidextrous safety. Shown in the pic below:
[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of the type of charging handle I prefer. This is a Noveske badged Raptor:
[Linked Image]

Here's a good pic of the magpul BAD lever I use:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
474 members (1Longbow, 160user, 30378, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.