Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
If there's a camper, I'm sleeping in my Speedo!!!!

Be sure to wax your legs and inner thighs. Nobody wants to see bush Jman 😂😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ran a quilt last year, and while this is my experience only, I’m not using a quilt in cold weather again! I bought a Katabatic Flex 15 which is a high quality quilt and while it was great during early season in September, but in 15 deg weather in Oct constantly trying to tuck chit underneath to combat drafts was a pain in the ass. I’m a side sleeper and it did afford me the ability to move around more , but when it was cold I just wanted to be warm more than anything. I’ll use a quilt in early season but for colder weather hunts I’m using a quality down bag.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cub, you'd have been fine in a 0 with an average pad?

The EE headloom is amazing and I suspect lifts a quilt rating up a bit, especially when your head is sweating. Get it for the add-on price when you buy a quilt. I stuff it in my quilt bag....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It wasn’t the temp of my quilt that was the problem once I got it all sucked up I’d be fine, I move around a lot when I’m sleeping and the ritual of constantly making sure there were no drafts just annoyed me. Or waking up after I had moved in my sleep and realizing I had cold air coming in. It might be ok for guys that don’t twist and turn, but for me it was a pain.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I ran a quilt last year, and while this is my experience only, I’m not using a quilt in cold weather again! I bought a Katabatic Flex 15 which is a high quality quilt and while it was great during early season in September, but in 15 deg weather in Oct constantly trying to tuck chit underneath to combat drafts was a pain in the ass. I’m a side sleeper and it did afford me the ability to move around more , but when it was cold I just wanted to be warm more than anything. I’ll use a quilt in early season but for colder weather hunts I’m using a quality down bag.
How wide is your quilt? I'm also a side sleeper. I went with a 65" one and have no problems keeping it tucked in. I use a strap on the back side and just tuck the other side under me.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How wide is your quilt? I'm also a side sleeper. I went with a 65" one and have no problems keeping it tucked in. I use a strap on the back side and just tuck the other side under me.

Yeah...

Especially when I'm hunting in the mountains backpacking, my sleep is not as good as my own bed. I turn. A lot. If you set the quilt up with your pad properly, it's a non issue in my experiences.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought the wide which is 67”, I had straps too. Hey like I said this was just my experience , if a quilt works for you great. I just won’t be using one during late season when the temps drop. I think it’s just how much I move around that was my problem, if I could just curl up on my side and sleep all night in that position with everything tucked in just right then I’d be fine, but that’s not the case for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GregW

Yeah...

Especially when I'm hunting in the mountains backpacking, my sleep is not as good as my own bed. I turn. A lot. If you set the quilt up with your pad properly, it's a non issue in my experiences.

+1

I got mine wider and longer than I thought I needed. I definitely don’t regret it. On the cold nights I cinch the strap around my Xtherm Max
Large pad. I also use a Borah SnowyEvent bivy unless I’m in an enclosed tent. Being a side sleeper that tosses and turns is what drove me to the quilt in the first place. Best sleeping system change I ever made.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Brad

I wouldn't give Jerry Wigutow a dime, and I sure wouldn't get an 8lb sleeping bag.

Just now reading this thread. Would you expand on your comments. I'm curious as to your reasons. Thanks -tnscouter

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by GregW

Yeah...

+1

I got mine wider and longer than I thought I needed. I definitely don’t regret it. On the cold nights I cinch the strap around my Xtherm Max
Large pad. I also use a Borah SnowyEvent bivy unless I’m in an enclosed tent. Being a side sleeper that tosses and turns is what drove me to the quilt in the first place. Best sleeping system change I ever made.

Mine is a 10 degree quilt. A couple years ago, I bought a very light weight down blanket from Costco, 60x70". I've never used it so I rigged it to go inside the quilt. It added about 10 degrees. I just sewed across the bottom and up the side about a foot. Then I added a couple buckles to attach it to the strap. It works great. It'll actually make the quilt better in warm weather as I can pull 1 or the other over me as the temp dictates. It's as light as a bag liner and more versatile.

The quilt is a UGQ. They have a strap with toggles that are less than convenient. EE uses small buckles that work better so I got some from them and converted mine to those.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My EE Revelation is actually a 10 deg quilt, but I wish I would have gotten the 0 deg. Funny thing, I also picked up a couple of Costco down quilts, and I pack one with me when it’s really cold (sub 0) as a backup addition to go under my EE.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
The guides say that’s what me and Mrs. Walter need for Kilimanjaro, so I’m in the buy once cry once mode.

What’s you favorite?

I’m 5’10 and 200 lbs.

Western Mountaineering Kodiak.

End of story. wink

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340boy

End of story. wink

Originally Posted by Kenneth

oh go on now............

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

Can’t think of much worse than a vapor barrier between me and the bag. Yuk.

When it's below zero it's critical in a down bag... but you've got to have synthetics on over the skin.

I'm late here, but disagree. I've used quite a few times way below zero with no vapor barrier. I would guess 95% of subzero usage of down bags is without a VB. This by folks who know what they are doing. I have never used a down bag with treated down, or one of the new wonder fabrics like GoreTex. But these barriers are "one-way-permeable", and not vapor barriers.

My experience is finite, but includes temps from -20 to 0 in a dry environment, as well as 0 to 32 in a varied environment. In all cases I was fortunate to keep my bag completely free of atmospheric dampness, so all moisture came from my body only.This is no small thing, as 200 lbs of human looses a lot of vapor. Also, I usually have at least some time to let the bag air or even sit in the sun, even if cold out. I have used vapor barriers on my feet with boots, and they suck maximally, but work. Haven't needed them in a bag.

I agree that a down bag, once wet, is very tough to manage and may be a deal-ender.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Last night it was 10 where we camped. It was the 1st time I've used my new 10 degree quilt. As I mentioned before, I put a Costco down blanket inside it plus I wore milsurp wool long underwear. I slept just fine.

― George Orwell

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Just received my Western Mountaineering MF Sequoia from Hermit’s Hut yesterday. Looks great, got free overfill. Highly recommend Hermit’s Hut.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’m hearing interesting things about the ‘new’ treated down.
Down bags just feel so darned good!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Westetn Mountaineering has not failed me.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (02bfishn, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.