Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I recently got one, I’ve wanted one for awhile but finally had to opportunity to get it.

I mounted it on a kimber Montana 308 and shot it a bit today, I have to say, I’m very impressed with the scope.

What’s the general consensus with these? Why don’t we see more about them?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I, too, am impressed. I put a 1.5-8 on my new to me .280. I like the reticle, the eye box is fantastic, and the glass is excellent. I haven't done any direct comparisons yet but I suspect it will compare favorably to my Z3. The reticle is working great for me out to 500.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also have one in the 3-15 configuration with the g4 reticle . Great scope brighter than my swarovski av. Pretty close to my zeiss v4 . Just couldn't get used to the reticle but it is very clear and has tracked true and held zero.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have the same scope as rovert and have come to the same conclusions as he.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Like mine!

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
More importantly to me is will they dial correctly and return to zero over the long haul. I don't have one, and have no idea. I do have a friend that has a gen 1 razor that shoots alot, and his had to go back after a couple of years because it was not doing the above. That is the only first hand experience I know of. Could have just been that scope. I do know Form has said the vortex doesn't hold up as well as some others.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by atse
More importantly to me is will they dial correctly and return to zero over the long haul. I don't have one, and have no idea. I do have a friend that has a gen 1 razor that shoots alot, and his had to go back after a couple of years because it was not doing the above. That is the only first hand experience I know of. Could have just been that scope. I do know Form has said the vortex doesn't hold up as well as some others.

This isn't that kind of scope, at least in my opinion.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
More importantly to me is will they dial correctly and return to zero over the long haul.

No. They are better than most Vortex’s, but they are not built to dial, and zero retention even not dialing has not been good with about half the ones I’ve seen.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
More importantly to me is will they dial correctly and return to zero over the long haul.

No. They are better than most Vortex’s, but they are not built to dial, and zero retention even not dialing has not been good with about half the ones I’ve seen.

Is there anything you know of in this class and price that is? Other than SWFA which I might not put in this hunting style class?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rovert

This isn't that kind of scope, at least in my opinion.

Agree.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I don’t use this as a dialing scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my 3-15x42 with the G4 reticle. Its tracked perfectly, but I'll just use the reticle for any long range shots. On a purely hunting rig.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have had six HD LH scopes go through my hands and several people I stay in touch with purchased them per my recommendation. All in all, I am sorta keeping track on a couple of dozen of these. All of these are used on hunting rifles, so they are not used for turret twisting. However, they are all staying zeroed just fine and holding up well.

Of the ones I had my hands on, I tested tracking on two different ones and it was spot on for two turret revolutions, which is as far as I was interested in going. I ended up keeping the 1.5-8x32 which is sitting on my 458 SOCOM and staying zeroed on it quite nicely.

ILya

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by rovert
I, too, am impressed. I put a 1.5-8 on my new to me .280. I like the reticle, the eye box is fantastic, and the glass is excellent. I haven't done any direct comparisons yet but I suspect it will compare favorably to my Z3. The reticle is working great for me out to 500.

I am glad you like my reticle. I sketched it out for one of the Vortex guys on the back of the napkin at SHOT a while back and they went ahead and put it into the scope. Interestingly, G4-BDC reticle is doing really well in Europe, but not so great in the US.

ILya

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one, the 2-10x40 w/ M4 reticle. It was very bright and sharp, if you have it in the perfect position. The eyebox seemed kind of short to me. The one I had did not have a side focus and the parallax was terrible. I never did find a place where it was dead on. @ 100 yards I could get nearly 2 moa shifting my head from side to side at 300 it would barely stay on a 10" steel gong. Those extremes were when I really moved from one side to the other but even when you were careful the image shift was annoying. Too bad because I really liked the scope, just the parallax was a deal breaker and not acceptable for a scope that expensive.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by centershot
I had one, the 2-10x40 w/ M4 reticle. It was very bright and sharp, if you have it in the perfect position. The eyebox seemed kind of short to me. The one I had did not have a side focus and the parallax was terrible. I never did find a place where it was dead on. @ 100 yards I could get nearly 2 moa shifting my head from side to side at 300 it would barely stay on a 10" steel gong. Those extremes were when I really moved from one side to the other but even when you were careful the image shift was annoying. Too bad because I really liked the scope, just the parallax was a deal breaker and not acceptable for a scope that expensive.

I was thinking that's what was causing my terrible groups later on after I sold my Vortex scope. It really didn't hit me until I mounted a different scope and grouped right at .5
It was the first scope I had with the parallax adjustment so it took awhile before I figured it out.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (B52RadarNav, 35, Ashworth, Bigd7378, 11 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,260
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.