Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jim585 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Years ago in one of the prominent magazines, someone asked how much further a shotgun barrel of 30" would shoot vs a 28" bbl. The editor had a good sense of humor, as his entire response was "two inches".
At the risk of getting a similar answer, what advantages/disadvantages would a rifle barrel have as is, vs + or - 2" ?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends on the barrel, the length you're starting with, the cartridge, and the load. General (very very general) rule of thumb, maybe 25fps/inch.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
For hunting purposes, none. Last year I had a doe stop and stared at me from right at 100 yards. Shot her in the neck with my 250R with 24" barrel. This year I had a nice 8 point walk straight at me, and shot him in the neck at about 50 yards with my 22hp with 20 inch barrel. Both never twitched. I guess for any real evaluation you would need barrels of different lengths in the same caliber. Things like the big heavy forearm on the R may give more support than the thin schnable forearm. To me the advantages/disadvantages is in carrying the rifles. My 1899B octagonal barrel in 303 almost killed me carrying it all day. The 1899H in 22HP was a joy to carry all day. The R would make a good stand gun. Carbines good carry guns. The 1899A, B, and C make good shoot them out the kitchen door guns.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Always had a thing for carbines, but a 22” barrel is just about perfect on a sporting rifle.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As Joe points out in his post, it probably makes way more difference to the sender that it does to the receiver in almost all practical hunting situations. Because there are so many variables, the pros and cons of what is the best barrel length for any rifle or caliber could be debated in infinitum without clear resolution. If we knew the answers to those questions how would gun writers make a decent living?

There are 2 kinds of rifleman.

The ones that measure success by ft/s, (velocity) ft/lbs, (energy) and MOA, (accuracy). Shooters

And the ones that measure success by dead. Hunters.

Those 2 guys ain't always the same guy...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Balance matters, and that's affected by a few different things, not just barrel length. I like em all, short, long, skinny, fat.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Balance. In regard to the Savage M99 and all it's variants it has the best balance of any sporting rifle ever manufactured. It handles like a dream and points like a fine English shotgun. You see a deer. You raise the rifle to your shoulder. You briefly glance at the sights and then you take the shot. Dead critter. Successful hunt. Done deal. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm. I took the OP's question to be about how much velocity was lost/gained by a variation in barrel length. Maybe I read it wrong.

As for "handiness", I don't feel barrel length alone is the deciding factor- a lot other aspects factor in. Overall balance can be achieved with short(er) barrels as well as long(er) barrels, as well as the model of gun. Personally for "shooting" I like a little extra length/weight in a barrel, putting the balance point a little farther forward. For carrying in the woods I like a neutrally balanced rifle, and like I said that can be achieved with either a short or a long barrel depending entirely on how savvy the builder is and how savvy the owner/shooter is in demanding it.

Bottom line, like my compadres pointed out: dead is dead and how one makes use of his equipment is all that matters.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Hmmm. I took the OP's question to be about how much velocity was lost/gained by a variation in barrel length. Maybe I read it wrong.

Nope, you read and answered it correctly.

However, the OP's question was, "...what advantages/disadvantages would a rifle barrel have as is, vs + or - 2" ?

Could be with regard to;
Speed?
Energy?
Handling?
Aesthetics?

Interesting question as well as interesting answers.
Everyone answered correctly. smile

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to "chase" high velocities, reloading as hot as I could. Experience over the years I've learned it doesn't matter what unless you're shooting really long distances. Generally velocity changes 25-50 fps per inch depending on cartridge. How the rifle balances and carries are more important to me.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

Interesting question as well as interesting answers.
Everyone answered correctly. smile

Does this mean we all get a trophy Rick? grin

I'm with Gnoahhh in that for shooting I like a little weight out front. The 26" 38-55 has the perfect combination of barrel length, weight, bore size, and buttstock density (weight) to really settle down for shooting. No bobbing around and "pass shooting" as the sights go by the target.

LOL
J
Jim585 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you all for your comments. All responses are appreciated. -Jim

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Balance. In regard to the Savage M99 and all it's variants it has the best balance of any sporting rifle ever manufactured. It handles like a dream and points like a fine English shotgun. You see a deer. You raise the rifle to your shoulder. You briefly glance at the sights and then you take the shot. Dead critter. Successful hunt. Done deal. grin

I'm a fan of balance, but the 99EG isn't very well balanced and it was one of the most popular style of 99.

Proper balance allows a shooter to get onto his/her target more quickly.

Two well balanced 99s from the early 1960's were the 99DL and 99F. The early 99DLs had 24" barrels that helped to offset the heavier monte carlo style stocks. The 99Fs had 22" barrels that were in sync with their straight lower comb stocks. When Savage changed the barrel length on the 99DLs to 22" the balance changed and they became a little more "butt-heavy". While it was the right decision from a manufacturing perspective, having the 99C, 99DL, and 99F share the same barrel specs, it decreased any incentive there was to own a 99DL. At least that is this guy's perspective on barrel length and balance.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

604 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,307
Posts18,449,115
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.