Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Coyote sightings and vocalizations have been becoming more and more common on the Eastern Shore of VA over the past few years. On three of our leases, we can reliabally hear them at sunset back in the thick stuff. My bud and myself have just about thrown everything at them over the last three years, but we can't get them to break thick cover for anything.

Where we hunt, we never seen any other predator hunters, so pressure is low. We have been fox hunting on the Shore for years, with much success. We are very mindful of our scent, camo, movement, wind direction
Ect. We use a FoxPro call with and without a decoy. I'm stumped, and we have no interest in shotgunning for them. How do you guys coax them out at night? When I lived in East Texas, seems that any rabbit distress, or kitten distress would have them running across whatever pasture or field that I was on. Any help, or tips are appreciated concerning these coastal coyotes.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
What's your call sequence,time of set,set up?
any chance the dogs are coming in and circling
lots of variables,either way dont give up

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Usually start out with a kitten distress or a chicken distress, as there are lots of farm cats around, along with chickens. Then we go to a locater, or invite call, then back to some sort of prey. We normally start around sunset,birthday just after dark. Sometimes we start later. We tried one year on late afternoon sets, but saw or heard nothing. The land owner says that he never sees,or hears them in the morning hours.

A normal set time is 30-60 minutes, with breaks in calling. Using red lights, while paying attention to the wind. We set up on ditches, with cat tails for our backdrop and we keep an eye on the field behind us. It would be hard fir them to circle us and not be seen, as we see foxes trying to do just that. We pass on the fox at this property though.

Oh, we aren't giving up, just looking for some new tactics. Like I said, we hear them just about every sunset when we are out there, but there is no way we could sneak into the thicket to get a shot on them. Way to thick and noisy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Check out MFK video's , they're mostly shotgun guys which is what's needed to thick cover -IF you're trying to kill coyotes .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Simple. Dont try to get them to break cover. Go into it with them and call...just bread for close fast shots...

Ive done well calling brush, even out west here.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Guess I'll blow the dust off of the SXP and give it a whirl.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Eastern coyotes are a different ball game. To hunt. We actually shoot most of ours in brushy areas with shotguns. One trick we use other to hunt from a boat. They seem to come to a shoreline alot less cautiously than a field. My opinion is that they don't asscooate danger coming from the water side

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Eastern coyotes are a different ball game. To hunt. We actually shoot most of ours in brushy areas with shotguns. One trick we use other to hunt from a boat. They seem to come to a shoreline alot less cautiously than a field. My opinion is that they don't asscooate danger coming from the water side

Makes good sense, but my leases aren't waterfront. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. Supposed to rain for the next five evenings. Looking forward to getting out there next weekend!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunt around cattle if you can. My cows are calving, and the coyotes love to eat the afterbirth and the baby calf poop. I was looking for a calf yesterday afternoon, took my rifle and call along, and called this one from a thicket adjoining the pasture. I've killed more around cattle pastures than just about anywhere else.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Jamesjr, unfortunately, no cattle on, or around any of our leases.

Thanks again for the Model 7. I threaded it yesterday morning and took it to the range yesterday afternoon and shot it suppressed. Got sub-minute groups with 55gr hpbt over W748. Awesome little rifle!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longshot3
Jamesjr, unfortunately, no cattle on, or around any of our leases.

Thanks again for the Model 7. I threaded it yesterday morning and took it to the range yesterday afternoon and shot it suppressed. Got sub-minute groups with 55gr hpbt over W748. Awesome little rifle!

I love the one I have. I was just going to leave that one in the back of safe in case Predator # 1 ever laid down on me, but I have too many bolt rifles as it is in 223, and I knew that one would probably never be used. Glad to see it getting put to some use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Simple. Dont try to get them to break cover. Go into it with them and call...just bread for close fast shots...

Ive done well calling brush, even out west here.

+ 1

Get in there amongst 'em.

Also, in your thinking about wind, you are probably doing this but put yourself in the coyote's mind and consider it from his thinking. Consider how he will prefer to use the wind rather than what is optimum wind direction for the hunter/caller. Use his instincts and preferences against him. Rather than try to call him to a good place for you to shoot, figure out how he would like to approach/investigate a call sound, what his preferences are for wind/scent, visibility, elevation, etc. and as much as possible set up an ambush that gives him an approach with the factors he wants. That makes him feel safe. Then watch that spot.

There are always exceptions, of course, because they are living creatures. When a coyote runs in across a mowed lawn, from upwind into a rising sun, then stops and squints into the sun at you, shoot him and be grateful for stupid ones.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Call them to where they WANT to go

Not where you WANT them to go .
That may require you to break out the shotguns

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake

Thanks, and yep, we are putting together a brush ambush plan. We have a few ways to get into this ten acre thicket where they are holed up. Hopefully they will feel a little more comfortable moving around within their turf. What are you guys using for shot? #5 should be fine within 30 yards, I'm guessing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake

Thanks, and yep, we are putting together a brush ambush plan. We have a few ways to get into this ten acre thicket where they are holed up. Hopefully they will feel a little more comfortable moving around within their turf. What are you guys using for shot? #5 should be fine within 30 yards, I'm guessing.

I have killed several with #5 shot while I was turkey hunting. They died, but it took more than one shot. If I were targeting coyotes with a shotgun, I'd definitely use something bigger than #5 shot.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I'll look through my shot shells and see what I have. I think I have some #1 and #4 buck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stu,

I can jam up some 2-3/4โ€ #1B if you want. 16 pellets moving around 1200fps or I can do 12 moving a touch faster. Iโ€™m waiting on the shot to arrive, so itโ€™ll be about a week.

โ€œWhen debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.โ€
- Socrates
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by RayF
Stu,

I can jam up some 2-3/4โ€ #1B if you want. 16 pellets moving around 1200fps or I can do 12 moving a touch faster. Iโ€™m waiting on the shot to arrive, so itโ€™ll be about a week.

That might be the ticket. You want to go?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let us know if you nail a coyote or few, and as much as you are willing to tell, what factors brought success.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That might be the ticket. You want to go?

I would, but you know the job. I can't plan for anything and seem to pull out on plans more than follow through these days. When the stuff gets in, I'll load some of each and let you decide.

You saw the patterns on the low recoil HD stuff I made. #1 Buck was getting 4.5" patterns at the 7 yd line and 10.5" at the 21 yd line, which is perfect for HD. I've got #1 Buck coming, but I think #4 Buck would probably be better suited for the doggies inside the tree line.

โ€œWhen debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.โ€
- Socrates
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.