Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldschool65
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Zero experience with one, but from a looks standpoint, its hideous in comparison to a 452. I bet it will shoot though.

What's hideous about this?

No kidding. I was handling the new 457’s the other day and seriously the wood on them puts the 452’s to shame. I see a 457 royal in my future.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zero experience with one, but from a looks standpoint, its hideous in comparison to a 452. I bet it will shoot though.

Agree. This thing is going to eat the lunch of American-made .22 bolt guns, especially since the 77/22 is out of production, and costs a bunch more when it's available. The US companies seemed to have just rolled over on this market.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I think its going to eat the T1x's lunch too. Just so long as CZ doesn't start making manufacturing shortcuts to keep up with demand.
Case in point - I looked at a new 455 trainer yesterday that had a mild ring of slivers and burrs at the distal edge of the chamber. Oooops.
I can tell you that the one I own didn't have anything like that when I bought it new.

FYI, I've handled 2 457's so far and both had scratchy bolt travel.#1 was bad, #2 pretty mild.
But I think a quick stoning on the edges of the slot on top of the bolt body would make it disappear.

To my surprise, the tweaked stock (still a hogback but the comb height now works well with sights AND glass) on the Lux may make it a better "sporter" than the American. Personal preference will vary of course. I can see plenty of people buying both.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cisco1

I think I have all the CZ's I need.

As for RFC...there are about 5-8 cliqueeee know it all . Mostly silly dipchit braggarts and fulla themselves moderators.

A little bit of good info. If one kicks through a garbage dump one can occasionally find something to take with.

Completely agree with the RFC assessment.

There are some very knowledgeable fella's over there too.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by jk16
Do a Google search- there are Videos Pictures and descriptions all over the place.

Except for the bolt head design (extractor etc ),Magazine and interchangeable barrel feature (same barrels as the 455) the rifle is entirely different than the 452 &455 actions
It solves every issue folks had with the 452s .The 457 has a US style Forward to fire safety ,Lower bolt lift for lower scope mounting, fully adjustable trigger and no tin can style bottom metal.

I got to handle a 457 trainer this weekend and I was not impressed. I was fortunate to find a 452 Left hand and several 455 on the same rack. I am not one of those folks who had any ISSUES with the 452. I like the safety mounted on the bolt and my mind was fully capable of dealing with the operation. I had no problem mounting scopes on either the 452 or 453. I cannot speak to the new 457 trigger. No dry fire allowed. My 453 is a set trigger and can be set down to the ounces or unset to break at 2 pounds. The min spec for the 457 trigger is 2.25 pounds. The 452 trigger can be tuned for a good break or shot as-is. The new bottom metal does not look as good as the fine polished and blued bottom on the 452. The 457 and 455 have an ugly plastic spacer in the magazine well when setup for 22lr. The DIP bottom metal is a very elegant solution, the 457 bottom stuff is not so pretty. The new 457 blue is a dull finish that may not age as gracefully as the fine (real blue) on the 452LH. Now not all 452 were highly polished and finely blued. The Americans were.

The new 457 bolt has a funky design where the firing pin rides along the outside of the bolt. It does not look as robust as the traditional setup with a striker that runs inside the bolt. You can see photos over on rim fire central. BTW, I have learned a lot over there. No one forum is for everybody and personalities and all that. members come and go. I drift aroud from forum to forum spreading good cheer where ever I go. ... Yea- Kidding I guess. Old curmudgeon is more like it.

The 452LH remains the last remnant of the once glorious CZ rimfire lineup.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CZ are Goat Fhuqks,plain and simply,wearing schit mags to boot.

Nothing redeeming in any of 'em.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Fourbore -

I'm don't know much about the new striker, but I don't like the open slot for it at the the top of the bolt, and wondered if the whole firing pin design suffers from some unseen compromise too. I really hope not.

FYI, the finish isn't blue it nitride, which is an old (and effective) metal treatment that bonds the free electrons in the steel with inert nitrogen so they can't bond with anything else. Which means it can't rust. Its shallow and it just doesn't look like good bluing but that's the way they went.
The purist in me wants them to keep making 452's but I recognize the improvements too. I had to use a very specific scope and very specific rings to put glass on my Lux. Made me wish I had stuck to my guns and bought an American, but I got it done.

I have played with the new trigger. Very good for a production gun. I'm sure your 453 is better, but to me its an improvement over a stock 452/455.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kragman1
Fourbore -

I'm don't know much about the new striker, but I don't like the open slot for it at the the top of the bolt, and wondered if the whole firing pin design suffers from some unseen compromise too. I really hope not.

FYI, the finish isn't blue it nitride, which is an old (and effective) metal treatment that bonds the free electrons in the steel with inert nitrogen so they can't bond with anything else. Which means it can't rust. Its shallow and it just doesn't look like good bluing but that's the way they went.
The purist in me wants them to keep making 452's but I recognize the improvements too. I had to use a very specific scope and very specific rings to put glass on my Lux. Made me wish I had stuck to my guns and bought an American, but I got it done.

I have played with the new trigger. Very good for a production gun. I'm sure your 453 is better, but to me its an improvement over a stock 452/455.

FUNNY schit!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Agree. This thing is going to eat the lunch of American-made .22 bolt guns, especially since the 77/22 is out of production, and costs a bunch more when it's available. The US companies seemed to have just rolled over on this market.

Don't know about that I drank some kewl-aid and got a RPR rimfire. Damn thing shoots better than any $350 rifle has a right too. Has some quirks, but accurate little thing. NOT Cooper accurate, but for $350 ..... ?

with 30 moa bases and a 20x SS MQ .... she does hit [bleep] mo' better than my shakin' ass has a right to ask.

Last edited by avagadro; 02/20/19.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The local fun shop has 3 457s An American, an American Varmint, and an MTR, the big, fat, awkward clubby stock everyone's oohing and ah-ing about. I liked the 457 American a lot, but it sure seems longer than necessary. The 24" barrel is two inches longer than the 452 American's, and almost four inches longer than the 455 American's. I guess it's quieter, which is always a good thing. The one I looked at was smoother than my 452 by a long shot, and as good as my 455s.

I dunno if I'll buy one, I have four CZ rimfires already, but I thought it was pretty nice. The scope mounting options seem a lot better (it's D-ed and T-ed, and has the 11mm rail, too). I'll mull it over and decide sometime this weekend. The wood was stained VERY dark, but still had some good figure hidden under that stain. I have a spitload of magazines that will work in it already, and am sitting on a bunch of ammo, too. Come to think of it, I have three or four scopes taking up shelf space, too. Gotta check on rings....................................those 11mm rings don't grow on trees.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I rhink CZ increased the barrel length due ro the shorter reciever so , maybe they thought 22" was too stubby ??

Also given their current drive for parts commonality, they may be using the SAME barrel on both the Americans and Lux/Trainers instead of using different barrel.lengths (22 and 24.5")?

I am wiith you , though. I think 22" was about righr.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The local fun shop has 3 457s An American, an American Varmint, and an MTR, the big, fat, awkward clubby stock everyone's oohing and ah-ing about. I liked the 457 American a lot, but it sure seems longer than necessary. The 24" barrel is two inches longer than the 452 American's, and almost four inches longer than the 455 American's. I guess it's quieter, which is always a good thing. The one I looked at was smoother than my 452 by a long shot, and as good as my 455s.

I dunno if I'll buy one, I have four CZ rimfires already, but I thought it was pretty nice. The scope mounting options seem a lot better (it's D-ed and T-ed, and has the 11mm rail, too). I'll mull it over and decide sometime this weekend. The wood was stained VERY dark, but still had some good figure hidden under that stain. I have a spitload of magazines that will work in it already, and am sitting on a bunch of ammo, too. Come to think of it, I have three or four scopes taking up shelf space, too. Gotta check on rings....................................those 11mm rings don't grow on trees.

Talley steel rings are very handsome I think. Have a set of high ones on my 455 SS.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Don't know about that I drank some kewl-aid and got a RPR rimfire. Damn thing shoots better than any $350 rifle has a right too. Has some quirks, but accurate little thing. NOT Cooper accurate, but for $350 ..... ?

with 30 moa bases and a 20x SS MQ .... she does hit [bleep] mo' better than my shakin' ass has a right to ask.

I'm glad you're happy with yours and that it's a shooter, but I wouldn't be seen with that oogly little spud at a cockfight. And in the woods; NFW. The squirrels would laugh themselves out of the trees. Don't mind me, I'm just an old bitter Luddite.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.