-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Viking, what bullet are you shooting, and do you know what kinda speed you are getting?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I want one of those "blow the doors off" loads of the early days of the 44 Mag. One that when it is fired, it forms such a vacuum when the bullet comes out of the muzzle at warp speed it almost jerks ones clothes off.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
The tree still hasnt given up its informational fruit. It is hanging withered upon the limb.

You look like a lazy, argumentative fuuck to me. If you want information, go find it. It's not our job to give you sources, data. It's not our job to interact with ass holes on the campfire, either. You should get out of your mom's basement more, man. Your social skills are....lacking.

Appears his favorite part of being on the board is arguing. He doesn't ask for infomation. He requires it.

But, don't ask him for any. He'll send you packing.

Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by RufusG
This is not news to those who have shot handguns a lot.

Super. Could you put me in touch with one of those folks so they could explain it to me?

I am sure you have people where you live that are schooled in variation of impact due to different ammo.
Just think now you are one of the enlightened ones.
Go forth and teach. One to another so others may be enlightened.

And why did you come to this board, again?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
The tree still hasnt given up its informational fruit. It is hanging withered upon the limb.

You look like a lazy, argumentative fuuck to me. If you want information, go find it. It's not our job to give you sources, data. It's not our job to interact with ass holes on the campfire, either. You should get out of your mom's basement more, man. Your social skills are....lacking.

Appears his favorite part of being on the board is arguing. He doesn't ask for infomation. He requires it.

But, don't ask him for any. He'll send you packing.

Originally Posted by RufusG
This is not news to those who have shot handguns a lot.

Super. Could you put me in touch with one of those folks so they could explain it to me?

I am sure you have people where you live that are schooled in variation of impact due to different ammo.
Just think now you are one of the enlightened ones.
Go forth and teach. One to another so others may be enlightened.

And why did you come to this board, again?

Hello how are are you this fine day?

Last edited by glockdoofus; 02/10/19.

HE MENTORS ME.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
if i had a lick of sense i would let this thing go away. but i thought i would pass along what originally got me to post.

keeping in mind i was wondering about 22grains of 2400 behind a 240grain bullet in 44magnum.

Hornady
7th edition
max load 21.2 grains
in a thomson/contender 22.8 grains
in a rifle 21.5 grains

going back to my lyman 3dr edition cast bullet handbook,circa 1980
max is 23.4 behind a 429421 cast bullet.
times have changed.
i am still trying to find out why that thompson contender has that load as opposed to running it in a super redhawk.
and yes, i do understand the difference between a jacketed bullet and lead.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/16/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
if i had a lick of sense i would let this thing go away. but i thought i would pass along what originally got me to post.

keeping in mind i was wondering about 22grains of 2400 behind a 240grain bullet in 44magnum.

Hornady
7th edition
max load 21.2 grains
in a thomson/contender 22.8 grains
in a rifle 21.5 grains

going back to my lyman 3dr edition cast bullet handbook,circa 1980
max is 23.4 behind a 429421 cast bullet.
times have changed.
i am still trying to find out why that thompson contender has that load as opposed to running it in a super redhawk.
and yes, i do understand the difference between a jacketed bullet and lead.

What we need is some of the guys that know the inner workingness of the loading companies of the 60's to the 70's to come on here with their knowlegement and wiseness and elaborate on the magical loads for the 44 Magnum.

HE MENTORS ME.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Could you just get a 60-70s load book and shut up ?

All you are doing is stirring drama .

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jmd025
Could you just get a 60-70s load book and shut up ?

All you are doing is stirring drama .

I have two Lyman 1970 reloading manuals here. I want the 1960 reloading data or around that date so as to have a real 44 Magnum load not these creampuff loads that are published now. I dont want these cowboy loads all of the manual list now. The loads where one would have to duct tape the gun to ones hand so it can be held onto. One where when it goes off a mushroom cloud with a whirling high speed muzzle blast that is laying the grass flat while shaking the ground.

HE MENTORS ME.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Downstream
Viking, what bullet are you shooting, and do you know what kinda speed you are getting?

I purdy much use the 240 XTP and 22 grains of the 2400. The hard cast that I have are around 250 grains. I half no idea who made them. But again, I used 22/2400 and a for the plinking load I used 14/2400. If that helps you.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
When I get some of the load date for the real loads I am going to get one of the self darkening welding helmets to prevent being blinded by the flash.

HE MENTORS ME.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The load data I used was out of an old Hornady book.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I was just hoping someone was just going to post a good load for joint use between Ruger Blackhawk Revolver and Marlin carbine that would not be a wrist nor stock breaker but would put down a black bear or muslim if need be. I'd think that could be a happening if guys like Big Jim or Flave ran this place and keep doofus da he11 out o here.

Jus say', W. Bill

i have a number of .44magnum handguns between superredhawk, contender, and smith's. i also have a marlin 44magnum. Interesting enough while the handguns measure at .429, the rifle if i remember right is at .431 or .432. My original quest was to find a load that worked equally well in handgun and rifle. And with lead there is the issue of the kind of rifling in the barrel of the rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was just hoping someone was just going to post a good load for joint use between Ruger Blackhawk Revolver and Marlin carbine that would not be a wrist nor stock breaker but would put down a black bear or muslim if need be. I'd think that could be a happening if guys like Big Jim or Flave ran this place and keep doofus da he11 out o here.

Jus say', W. Bill

i have a number of .44magnum handguns between superredhawk, contender, and smith's. i also have a marlin 44magnum. Interesting enough while the handguns measure at .429, the rifle if i remember right is at .431 or .432. My original quest was to find a load that worked equally well in handgun and rifle. And with lead there is the issue of the kind of rifling in the barrel of the rifle.
Wasn't the 265 grain Hornady, the daddy of the "heavier" bullets in .44 Mag., .430 whereas most of the others measured .001 or .002" less? Seems like it was developed specifically for the carbines, like the Marlin1894.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Jus say', W. Bill

Wasn't the 265 grain Hornady, the daddy of the "heavier" bullets in .44 Mag., .430 whereas most of the others measured .001 or .002" less? Seems like it was developed specifically for the carbines, like the Marlin1894.

that could be, i know ken watters in "pet loads" mentioned going not past that weight wise. interesting enough, he had two sections on 44magnum, in the first section pet load was 22grains of 2400. second section he reduced it to 21grains saying it shot just as well or better.
given the time he wrote that it would have been hercules not that in reality it makes any difference.
i would have to look at again, but seems some of the heavier bullets had trouble cycling in the ruger semiauto carbine.
one other tidbit not related to anything, when i bought the marlin rifle, i got a box of 20rounds of i thought factory ammo. I ran it through a chrony. those 240grain bullets were doing over 1800fps. That beats the velocity and weight of a 38.55.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/18/19.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I believe I seen where todays 44 Magnum loads has ben reduceded. Is that correctum?

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Fixt it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

My understanding is that bullet was made primarily for the 444 Marlin with secondary use in the 44 Magnum.

Most Hornady jacketed bullets run .430, whereas Speer and Sierra and Nosler are .429-.4295, regardless of weight.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
that could be, i know ken watters in "pet loads" mentioned going not past that weight wise. interesting enough, he had two sections on 44magnum, in the first section pet load was 22grains of 2400. second section he reduced it to 21grains saying it shot just as well or better.
given the time he wrote that it would have been hercules not that in reality it makes any difference.
i would have to look at again, but seems some of the heavier bullets had trouble cycling in the ruger semiauto carbine.
one other tidbit not related to anything, when i bought the marlin rifle, i got a box of 20rounds of i thought factory ammo. I ran it through a chrony. those 240grain bullets were doing over 1800fps. That beats the velocity and weight of a 38.55.

Ken Waters also never realized H110 and 296 were the same powder, often favoring one over the other and stating so, in several chamberings......

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It would be nice if someone would make a 300 grain bullet.

HE MENTORS ME.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Jus say', W. Bill

Not a problem.

The handgun is usually not the issue, it is finding a nice tight shooting load for the Marlin that often takes a little bit more homework. But it is not all that hard, and I will give you the "cheat Codes" as the gamers say these days.

The majority of the Marlins that I have personally used ( I currently only have my 16" Trapper .44) have been pretty finicky about cast lead loads, however they do like jacketed. If you stick with a 240 grain Hornady XTP and 22 grains of H110 you will be completely good to go. That will take care of your needs in the handloads department.

Speer makes a 270 grain Gold Dot soft point that shoots well out of Marlins, if you want factory ammo.

I have not had great luck with heavy bullets, both in feeding and accuracy. I "can" make loads but they end up being levergun specific and I don't load that way, so I just stick with the 240 grain loads and am very satisfied.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.