[Linked Image]

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ironbender
Exotic here.

A dozen or maybe more escaped from someones pen 10 or 15 years ago. Sighted occasionally, but eventual,y died off. None around now.

It would be fun to help with the problem down south.

Ironbender & others ,
Howdoo ..

The thing about pigs is they're very smart then again they're just a stupid animal . When folks down here in pig country complain about being overun with pigs it's because they're hard to kill . Put a little pressure such as shooting one tonight they aren't coming back there for a while and when they do it will be at 2-3-4-5 am and they'll be nervous moving running - one will squeal and they'll all explode into the super thick cover . Likely head to another feeder - who knows . If they would pop up like praire dogs I'd invited the entire 24hr-fire to come and shoot them all . Here in florida they'll stand in the woods and listen or circle the feeder area - smell you then head on out and not return for who knows how long . They know where to find a safe meal 24/7 .
You'll get one here and there but it's not like they pile around a feeder everytime it goes off . By the time you put one or two in the freezer - three different sounders have dropped 15 piglets - mostly females .

I gang-set snares in an area of my lease - caught two hogs in one night - had two game cams going but not on the snares just the feed area . You could see the the expression on the hogs faces - they didn't know whether to sh-itt or go blind - wigged out seeing/hearing their comrads caught in snares and fighting for their lives . Not one hog came to that feeder for several months - finally a lone boar got brave enough to give it a go and was visibly on pin & needles . He would never feed and look relaxed - he sprint off for no reason that I could tell from looking at game cam video , and never feed for more than a couple of minutes at best . Even after a couple of years they're very leary of that spot and they know exactly what a snare looks like now . They'll walk right around one everytime.

Here in the Fl. panhandle hunting hogs is a nightime thing - RARELY EVER see one during dusk/dawn - never after sun up .
When it cools off and hunting season starts they totally disappear to God knows where - maybe one or two are killed from oct. through feb. [2000+ acres] , they run off all the deer - eat the fawns - eat any and everything - turkey nest etc. etc. on & on .
Again if they were easy to kill I'd invited the fire' gang down for hog slaughter fun shoot .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Traps work pretty well, be cool to live close to the place you hunt. You could set them whenever you wanted.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Interesting ol mike. The hogs we hunt are very much still active during the day. We don't take tons after dark.
They are smart and most folks don't realize who good their sense of smell is. Set that trap and not be careful what you touch or where you step and no hogs caught .
Looking forward to our hog hunt in about 2 weeks.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I used to feel like a few dog hunters could keep them under control or at least driven away from non desired areas. The problem in Florida is that a pack of hogs usually frequents several different land owners property and you can about guarantee a couple won't let you hunt.... Pressure them on one property and they stay on a safe one for awhile.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What I don't understand is why European Boar are not as problematic as feral hogs are. Is it because they are mostly on shooting estates in Europe? I know they have wandered into urban areas including down town Berlin but otherwise I am not aware of as many problems with them.

I would love to have a full blown pig drive here. Some of the places I have hunted it would be no big trick to shoot 300 or more per drive.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Tejano
What I don't understand is why European Boar are not as problematic as feral hogs are. Is it because they are mostly on shooting estates in Europe? I know they have wandered into urban areas including down town Berlin but otherwise I am not aware of as many problems with them.

I would love to have a full blown pig drive here. Some of the places I have hunted it would be no big trick to shoot 300 or more per drive.

From what I understand they are. The mother of a friend of mine, who is German, still lives in Germany and is a huntress. She was telling him that the boar population is out of control, especially now that farming has taken on a more "American model," i.e., large swaths of land under the plow. The boar are destroying crops, forests, and fields just like they do here. More food equals more boar, which equals more destruction. And, of course, the hunters now have the eco-terrorists to deal with as well, always trying to stop, or at least disrupt, the hunts.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
They go through the woods eating all the acorns, tearing up ( rooting up ) hayfields and pastures. Trust me. Very, very destructive and like it was said earlier, " very smart ".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Georgia - no they are considered vermin. You can hunt them year round, no limit, over bait, at night. Literally other than poisoning them or blowing them up, not many things you can't do.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
I may be sick but I wish we had them in Pa. the deer hunting is only a shadow of what it once was here. We do have a very few escapees but nothing as a viable free range herd.

Your sick.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
were I have hunted sense 89 it is harder to kill a hog than a deer

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.