-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pulled the trigger awhile back and bought the largest mass produced modern style snowshoe that I could discover: GV Wide Trail 12x42.

For traveling deep powder something like 14x60 traditional would be better. For my use accessing calling stands through the down timber and brush transition edges of logging roads, these 12x42's seem more versatile, rotating claws on strong metal and synthetic.

Had my first chance to try them this past week and really like them in my initial experience. The width is no problem and they get around in brush well. They stay on top of soft snow much better than my previous snowshoes which have run in the 30-34 inch long and 9-11 inch wide range.

I wish these 12x42 were 48 inches long for even better floatation in powder. I HATE floundering in deep soft snow and even worse is post-holing while wearing snowshoes. Been there. Hence the big snowshoes.

Got a kick out of our neighbor walking her dog while wearing cute little REI designer snowshoes that sank to the ground every step. I didn't let anybody see me in my uncool big workhorse snowshoes.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Those look great!

Am using the old Atlas 1033 Guvmnt Issue. Crafted a small sled for less steep terrain approaches on deep snow with skis I found in the mountains to allow better flotation.

Attached Images
DSC09497 - Copy.JPG (83.43 KB, 58 downloads)

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sherriff, like that sled! That would really stay on top and be stable but as you say, it has limits as to steep country and tight turns.

I pondered making a sled up on a mountain where we used to hunt at timberline and bring deer down an old mining pack mule trail. That trail has better engineered grades than the usual forest service trail. My idea was to cut runners and lash up a sled rather than backpack the boned-out meat the 7 1/2 miles from our usual camp to vehicle. Out-sloping trail bed and an occasional steep turn where the original trail has washed out would make for problems, though with two men sledding should be easier work than unrelenting carry on our backs. Never did it and at my age not likely to now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is less difficult pulling up a grade than I thought. Careful preparation and waxing of skis is helpful. Using waist belt from backpack to attach pull rope. Side hilling is where it becomes a problem. Was thinking about having the ability to adjust the height of each ski with something akin to the notched leg of a bipod for negotiating traverses. Friend of mine is working on a sled that has a clever independent suspension for each ski. So far, turning has been easier than expected, especially on a snow trail.

Controlling the descent on non-icy slopes (maintaining your own balance on your feet) is very easy by attaching perlon to eyelets in the back and bringing the front tow sling to the back much like the reins direct a horse.

After using this to transport the extra weight of winter expeditions, unlikely to ever carry a pack on my back on mild inclined or level snow, again! My friend has utilized a former car roof rack on his sled and could probably carry 20 pieces of firewood as well as full gear.

GOD forbid any casualty in the field...at least there is relatively fast evac by sled if feasible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Traditional wood and rawhide here. A 10"x 56" trail model and a 10" x 36" modified bear paw. The trail model is used in open country such as frozen rivers, lakes, marshes and hill country ridges. The other snowshoes are used in timber and brushy areas.

I utilize two versatile sleds. The longest one, 65" L, I use for skidding deer and transporting supplies and gear. The short one, 42" L sees most use hauling chainsaws and firewood. They are both made by KL Outdoor Muskegon, MI.

I attach my deer drag harness for an easy pull. A few times I needed to transport on some steep terrain and rigged up a wood pole to act as a tongue. It worked out great to keep the sled from running into me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ski sled - descent view and oblique under construction view:

Attached Images
DSC09515b (2).jpg (76.09 KB, 15 downloads)
DSC09473.JPG (93.56 KB, 15 downloads)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Traditional wood and rawhide here. A 10"x 56" trail model and a 10" x 36" modified bear paw. The trail model is used in open country such as frozen rivers, lakes, marshes and hill country ridges. The other snowshoes are used in timber and brushy areas.

I utilize two versatile sleds. The longest one, 65" L, I use for skidding deer and transporting supplies and gear. The short one, 42" L sees most use hauling chainsaws and firewood. They are both made by KL Outdoor Muskegon, MI.

I attach my deer drag harness for an easy pull. A few times I needed to transport on some steep terrain and rigged up a wood pole to act as a tongue. It worked out great to keep the sled from running into me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

sd

Those are some nice shoes! smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,099
Posts18,464,161
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.