Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by warpig602
Had WM, sold it and bought a WSM after shooting a buddies. Pretty sure if I had to go to one caliber for everything it would be the WSM .

I shoot it all and then some. The 300WSM cannot begin to hold a candle to the 7 Whizzum.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rolled a bull moose with a 30 cal 150 gr Partition back in Sept., out of a 300 Savage.
The other 3 guys in camp did pretty much the same, but with 300 mags.
Only a fool argues with success.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Arrows do same. Bullets matter wayyyyy more than headstamps and .308" 150gr NPT's,suck heavy ass in everything.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Agreed that it is all about the platform and intended purpose. I have 300 WSMs and WBYs (close enough for this conversation to a WM).

I use a 26" barreled WBY for most hunting and expected long"er" range shots for MD, Elk, Bear, etc. I have all the confidence in this setup, thus why I have taken more game with it than the other 300s in my stable. With a Swaro Z5, the rifle weighs in just under 9#, fully loaded, slinged up, and up and out the door. Not too heavy, or too light and carries well on my shoulder. The rifle shoots extremely well. The only dig against it is the overall length. Not bad, but is why I got the WSM.

After chasing bulls in timber, I decided I wanted a better suited platform for it and general purpose mountain hunting. This WSM is a Model 70 FWT cut down to a 23" barrel by HCR. The shorter action and barrel with an McEdge, topped with a Z3 was perfect for my hunting.

Both setups do overlap for general hunting purposes and you could flip a coin between the WSM or WM but neither are a bad choice. I see general ammo for the WSM, WM, and WBY at most locales out West, so that really doesnt bother me as a backup plan in case ammo is lost. Any of them will make a good all purpose setup so go with the rifle you like the most.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bullet? Speed?

Be careful.

Hint................

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I would go with the .300 Win Mag. There is a larger selection of factory ammo for the .300 Win Mag (68) versus the .300 WSM (34).

Those numbers come from Midway USA website.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 02/17/19.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I would go with the .300 Win Mag. There is a larger selection of factory ammo for the .300 Win Mag (68) versus the .300 WSM (34).

Oh my.

EPIC fhuqking humor!....................

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have owned my .300 WM since the early 70's.. With proper loads it will kick a 165 along at about 3350, a 150 at 3400, a 200 right at 3000... I bought one super grade Win in short mag.. Fooled with it a while and gave it to one of my namesakes.. He will probably get the old one also.. For me it is no choice.. WM all the way.. But I want a full length action.. The 700 allows one to seat the bullet out as far as necessary.. Some of the other popular actions do not do this..

I too played with the WSM awhile, never killed anything with it. I have two friends who like it a lot, use it on everything. I have killed more game with a 300 WinMag ( and I too prefer the Mod 700 LA) than any other magnum. I liked how the Sierra 150 Pro Hunter worked on small deer w/o tearing them up. On all the other game I used the older Barnes 180 XBT. Very few bullets were ever recovered. Its a toss up, really, and boils down to what rifle you like. I will say I have heard from other friends that sometimes they have feed problems with the shorter case & sharp shoulder. One is a high dollar Christensen Arms...I only had issues ever trying to get a couple Mod 70 300 Wins to shoot well. Magazine too short for the throat...at that time, I didn't try to open it up or go with a Wyatts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Those numbers are perhaps a bit misleading, as they include types that are unavailable. For "Available" the numbers are 47 and 18. If you includes "Coming soon" and "Out of stock, Backorder OK", the numbers are 56 and 19.

Not criticizing, as I often refer to the total numbers as well, in the belief that they are still a relatively valid indicator. The .308 @ 123 and .30-06 @ 99 lead the pack.

In terms of cost, the cheapest WSM ammo is listed at $31.99. Midway lists 11 types of WM ammo from $23.99 to $31.99.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Few things funnier than a dumb fhuqk Tournament! You gals NEVER disappoint in oblivious humor,by simply doing your collective best. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your hearts for fhuqking TRYING!

Hint.

Laughing!.................

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Those numbers are perhaps a bit misleading, as they include types that are unavailable. For "Available" the numbers are 47 and 18. If you includes "Coming soon" and "Out of stock, Backorder OK", the numbers are 56 and 19.

Not criticizing, as I often refer to the total numbers as well, in the belief that they are still a relatively valid indicator. The .308 @ 123 and .30-06 @ 99 lead the pack.

In terms of cost, the cheapest WSM ammo is listed at $31.99. Midway lists 11 types of WM ammo from $23.99 to $31.99.

Good point CH. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
300 H&H has the most panash. I like the 300WM but would consider the stubby depending on the platform. Especially for the oxymoron of a light weight 300. I draw the line at about seven pounds, lighter than this and they start to get snappy with 180 and above bullets. Another pound settles the rifle down quite a bit. My current rifle goes eight all up and that is not a bad weight for a 300 IMO. If I shot factory loads I might just go 308 or 06 and not really give up that much for bullets under 200 grains. The 308 held the record for a first shot hit at 1,800 yards for awhile so you can't call it a short range affair.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any .30 will do. EVERY country store in the world will have spare 300 WM ammo.... there is not enough difference between your two choices to matter.... find a gun you like, and go with the .300WM

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What do you plan on hunting with it?

Of those two chamberings just find a rifle you like and go hunting.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
After load work for some big cases I decided the powder charge weight range beyond 74 gr exceeds my recoil tolerance. Anything above that is not fun anymore. Plus, I much prefer short cartridges over long any day. So, the 300 WSM works for me.

Last edited by Reloder28; 02/17/19.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had both. It would really depend on the rifle I chose to shoot it out of. The 300 WSM comes up about 50-100 fps slower than the best loads in a 300 WM and uses 10-15 gr less powder to do it. It is also 150-200 fps faster than 30-06. The combination of slower speeds and less powder makes a noticeable difference in recoil compared to 300 WM. In the same weight rifle a 300 WSM isn't significantly harder on the shoulder than a 30-06, at least to me. About 26 ft lbs recoil compared to 22 for my 30-06. My 300 WM was at 30 ft lbs. In a light weight rig like a Kimber the WSM is tolerable and I can live with the slower MV.

The problem is that most manufacturers 300WM and 300 WSM are all virtually the same weight. If you are carrying around a heavy rifle anyway then you might as well get the speed advantage of the 300 WM.

300 WSM ammo is pretty easy to find in 2019. That isn't a huge issue, and you can't afford to shoot either much unless you hand load. I sold both of mine after coming to the conclusion that there wasn't anything I couldn't kill with my 308 at the ranges I had the skills to shoot. But I tend to like lighter rifles, and less recoil. If I were going back I'd choose a lightweight rig in 300 WSM..

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have both, they are both great. I think The WSM has a little less recoil.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sika_
Looking to get a new 30 caliber for hunting. Not sure which one of the 2 three hundreds to get.
300 Win Mag. or a 300 WSM. Which one do you recommend and why do you recommend the one you do.
I have a couple reasons why I like the one I do but I want to see what others have to say to way out the options for the one that suites me best.

Just me, but I'd stay way the hell away from the WSM...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Redneck

Care to expound?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Redneck

Care to expound?

She's at the limits of her "means","abilities" and "experience".

The 180 ELD Smooches in a Montucky Whizzum with a .796BC at 2900fps,is performance that's gotta be seen,to be believed.

Top to bottom of the frame. Montucky 7 Whizzum,Custom 700 based 300 Super,CRF 70 300 Whizzum and another Montucky 7 Whizzum(have 3).

[Linked Image]

In fairness,the CRF Winny Whizzum 30 got much better,with 1pc bottom and McMillan...but still wayyyyyyyyyyyyy pales to any/all things 7 Whizzum. Hint.

[Linked Image]

30's simply cain't begin to hang.

Hint....................

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

143 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260madman, 338reddog, 26 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,468
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.