Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thought this forum might have some knowledge about this stone.

FIL gave me it to me recently. Was sitting on a self in his shop. He says he’s had it at least 50 years. I cleaned it up with dish soap and water. Wondering if anyone could give me some info adout it from the picture. Interested in anything about it including type, grit, uses and value. It’s quite light in weight, about 3.5 ounces. Size is approx 4 3/8-1 1/2-1/2.

I’ve been tinkering with different stones recently. Bought some man made new ones. Mostly more modern types. Enjoying the experience. Thought this sub-forum would be best place to ask. I can take more pics if needed.

Thanks
Rob
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If old things could talk.....

Doesn’t look Dished out like some old stones.

Not used a lot or really hard?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
[spoiler][/spoiler]It feels like it’s realy a fine grit. No dishing but a couple light gouges on the broad faces and some very light chips on the edges. I doubt FIL used it much if at all. It was just sitting in a self with a Norton stone. Dust covered. We were putting in a new water heater when I noticed it looking for some pipe dope. He has liver cancer and is getting frail etc. Said he doesn’t remember where it came from nor ever using it but it been there for a long time. Other sharpening stones he has are worn from scythe and mower blades. Many of them are dished and I’m somewhat familiar with them. Neat stuff.

He was an expert sharpening a chain saw blade. I learned and do ok with them from his teachings. Never saw him sharpen a knife. He did use a steel on mower blades and has a collection of them. Given his condition I guess he might just be forgetting any info on this stone.

I’m more interested in knowing what it is and appropriate uses. Search online says the older mined stones are much better than current. Based on its size, color(s) and weight I think it’s a real stone, not man made. It does seem really hard and looks to be real stone.

The broad faces do feel much smoother than the edges.

Rob

Last edited by ring3; 02/15/19. Reason: Added info
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just a WAG on my part, but you may want to look at "Vintage Arkansas Natural Stones" and compare it.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What you have is a Washita stone the fastest cutting grade of Arkansas stone, it is used to establish an edge before switching soft and hard Arkansas stones to refine and finish the edge.

Last edited by gunswizard; 02/17/19.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I also think its a Washita stone as described by gunswizard. When I was a boy I had one in a Buck branded sharpening kit and it looked a lot like yours with the purplish color swirled through it.....wish I still had that kit, have no idea what happened to it. Washitas are kind of hard to find nowdays.....not sure that anyone sells new ones.

It is kind of hard to pin down the grit on Arkansas stones as each one is literally a natural rock and they can smooth out with use. I would guess the grit equivalent of a Washita would be something in the 300 range sorta like a fine India. I like Arkansas stones....they can put a real nice edge on carbon steel and simple stainless knives and tools.

Last edited by RJY66; 02/17/19.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you want to confirm origin of an old stone you're not going to be able to use pics and opinions on the internet.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wow a post without any profanity, didn't think you were capable of that.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
What you have is a Washita stone the fastest cutting grade of Arkansas stone, it is used to establish an edge before switching soft and hard Arkansas stones to refine and finish the edge.

Yep. Have one myself and a few other Arkansas stones

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys for the comments. Valuable info. Pretty cool stone. I hope to give a try next week.

Rob

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Cool stone, but I can't help on its origin.

But, the best way I have found to clean a stone is Barkeepers Friend cleaning powder and a green Scotchbrite synthetic scouring pad. The BF has oxalic acid, which is very effective at dissolving the old oil and dislodging the steel swarf clogging the pores of the stone. The stone will look better, and cut better.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Revisiting this post got me to thinkin . . .

Where the heck is mine, have not seen it in a while!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by LouisB
Revisiting this post got me to thinkin . . .

Where the heck is mine, have not seen it in a while!

It's right where you left it, Louis!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bugged me too. Finally dug out a 20+ year old LL Bean three stone set I used at my last restaurant. Same stone for sure. I should use that old set more.

Sam......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I consider my older sharpening stones to be the crown jewels of my "stuff". Rusty

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Looks like a hard Arkansas like was sold by Buck back in the day.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Looks like an Arkansas Ouachita to me, the one you use first. The hard Arkansas is black.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It looks like a medium hardness novaculite stone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One might determine its exact volume and weight. I believe the very best are of the highest density. I.e. weight/unit volume.

I have both a translucent and a black surgical grade stone. Both 12 inches long by two and one half wide, about 1 inch thick, and used with mineral oil. They seem to be extremely heavy, show no imperfections or blemishes at all, were not cheap, and really put a mirror grade polish on an edge. Only bring them out though for the hardest of chisels and gouges. Over my many years, if I find anything similar at a good price, I pick up 3 or 4 figuring I'll never be without and the grand kids or some yard sailor might make a good score when I'm gone.

My thoughts though are that given the array of possible trace minerals present in Mother Nature's products, that color is not all that informative.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/15/19.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Without a box no answer can be certain. Many stones were sold in cedar boxes or on cedar bases. The size implies not terribly expensive when new and not worth a lot today. EBay may have enough comparable to get an idea of current prices.

Agreed with everybody else that it looks like a relatively coarse Arkansas stone Washita or Ouashita. Tthe stone to start with and for many purposes but not all enough stone to finish with. An oil stone and not a water stone.

On the other hand chatting with A. G. Russell - folks will remember he sold stones under the War Eagle name for the creek in his part of Arkansas - he told me the more color the more potential variation and the harder to grade accurately for retail sale.

Colored stones span the range from soft for a sharpening stone to hard but don't reach the super hard of translucent or black stones. Those two aside color really says nothing about effective grit.

Trade regulations specify density for classifying natural stones for the trade - more density is a harder stone.

Soft Arkansas 2.20-2.30
Hard Arkansas 2.30-2.45
True Hard Arkansas 2.50 +
….Colored Translucent 2.50 +
….Translucent 2.50 +
….Black Arkansas 2.50 +
Specific Gravity

All the information one could want, and enough more to be totally confusing can be found on the web. A stone freshly cut square will wear in and change a little over time. A stone will usually start a little smoother after being flattened and cut a little faster as time wears on; a diamond stone will usually start a little more aggressive and cut a little slower as time wears on or so the story goes.

I have a bunch of big natural oil stones including War Eagle surgical black with stands for sharpening softer knives - seems traditional for softer knives like Randall and such but for all practical purposes - water stone fanatics aside - I find a battery of today's diamond sharpeners - with stands, I agree with Mr. Russell that a sharpener without a stand is like a great holster with dime store belt never going to reach its potential - suit me just fine. If I had the skill I'd polish an edge but I don't and I'm not going to try to teach myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.