Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Greg, while watching "hunting Arizona coues deer " all day at work, I noticed a plethora of Sitka gear. I have none!!! This might get interesting!!! There will be lots of dri fit!!! Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Jetstream is a great jacket. For what you want, it should be good. Baselayer, mid layer (fleece, etc), then have the Jetstream. It's windproof and has a little insulation. Its very brush resistant and will do well as an all around outer layer jacket. It will shed light precip but is not full on rain gear. When you get cold, add a puffy vest or jacket underneath, if you are hot, open the pit zips and center zip. Add a rain jacket if its wet out.

Excellent piece that you will be pleased with and they are on sale most places now.

I don't currently own one but its an awesome piece of gear in my opinion.

Lee

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I must be a peasant. Decent raingear to me means waterproof and windproof, must have pit zips. I carry a Marmot Precip always. Buy it large enough to fit over a puffy and use it w/ the rest of your layers as needed. I bought my last one from STP for $60.00. For the gear snobs the Precip pants and jacket are recommended by several of the co.s that guide on Denali.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stilllearning,
In Arizona I do a lot more hiking then hunting. Nature of the land. I use my hiking/backpacking layers and add camo outer layers for hunting. You are spot on with the idea of two different mid layers. The new active insulated mid layers are intended to be warn while moving. Think Patagonia nano air. Once you get to a spot to glass, you switch out for a static insulation piece, think down. How heavy depends on how your body heats up and how much you sweat. As for the outer, if I'm expecting to be moving through branches, bushes, cactus, I will use a soft shell. If there is any chance of rain I'll have a hardshell in the pack. In Arizona, I've found that a windjacket (currently using the Arcteryx Squimmish) is very useful.
Sense the Jetstream is 25 ounces, I would evaluate it in relation to what I get for the same weight. I would rather carry a Patagonia nano air (14 ounces), Arcteryx Squamish ($150/5.5 ounces) or outdoor research helium 2 ($160 and 6.5), and a stationary insulation piece (had the mountain hardwear ghost whisperer hoodie, not sure what I'll replace it with). The ghost whisperer weighed in at 8 ounces. I can carry the nano air and ghost whisperer, plus either the wind jacket or rain jacket, for an extra 3 ounces. The fly in the ointment is the need to throw camo over the layers if you feel the need. Adds some weight. Still, I'd rather carry a layering system then one big piece.
Now is the time to buy, everyone seems to be having sales on winter backpacking/hiking gear. Good luck,
Peter

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read all the responses and I apparently do things a bit different.

I like your FL Aerowool - Sitka Core Heavyweight layers - ALOT. I use the exact same setup. Unless its really cold and/or wind is blowing, I hike in like that. You'll discover temps in the west don't feel as cold as comparable temps in the east thanks to alot less humidity in the west. I promise you won't freeze to death.

As to insulation, I tend to run with a puffy of some sort. I have several weights of puffy jackets from very lightweight to really friggin' heavy (Sitka Kelvin Down hoody). I use the puffy: when its cold, I wear it hiking, or when the wind is blowing such that I'm getting chilled just hiking. Hence the different weights. My goal is to arrive warm but not sweaty. I manipulate clothing accordingly. I've hiked in with just the Aerowool top on. My goal is not get all sweaty.

As to an outer shell, I wear one when I'm stationary, mostly to cut the wind. I need a hood at a minimum on my outer shell. I love hoods, a jacket without a hood isn't worth much to me. Others dislike hoods. When I arrive at my location, I normally don the puffy and outer shell.

Example - this past year it was 0 degrees the first day of Wyoming elk season with a 5-10 mph wind. I hiked in the dark with both Sitka lightweight and heavyweight bottoms, Aerowool top, Sitka Core Heavyweight hoody, Sitka Timberline pants, smartwool socks, Crispi 400 gr boots. I had light gloves and an orange ball cap. I was hot when I arrived 2+ miles later at my starting point. I cooled down waiting for light to come and put the Jetstream on. I still hunted all AM in that setup and was a bit warm. At lunch, I took a "stand" (aka napping spot) in a smallish meadow overlooking a small saddle. Elk tracks indicated it was a good spot. I put on a Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody and Sitka Jetstream. And proceeded to nap in the sunlight and temps ~ 15 degrees for an hour. (as an aside, never underestimate the power of a mid-day nap in elk season <G>)

I've worn an assortment of Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Patagonia, Kuiu, and Sitka products. I'm sold on Sitka. They do what they say they'll do. They are pricey but most good equipment is.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BWinters, I agree with you. That's how I do it. I didn't realize how wrong I had been until I read thru this thread!

I mostly use KUIU but have some Sitka as well and I really like the Jetstream.

Lee

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
BW,
So if you need an insulation layer while moving you use the puffy (Kelvin lite hoody) not the Jetstream ?
You are using the Jetstream as a stationary shell; is this correct ?
If so is the Jetstream the only shell you carry ( no waterproof shell ) ?

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi SL,

I rarely need a puffy while moving - only when it's pretty cold. Single digits is cold to me. If I'm hiking any elevation gain, a puffy over the Aerowool and Athens Core Heavyweight will make me sweat. Flat hiking in the cold with wind is about the only time I wear a puffy while hiking. To me the Jetstream is also a bit too warm for hiking over the aforementioned base/mid layers. My main issue with wearing a puffy as an outer garment is simply the terrain I hunt in. I tend to do alot of still hunting in dark timber. The Kuiu Guide and Sitka Jetstream are much more quiet than the ripstop fabrics in puffy jackets. Plus I have rips in most of my puffy jackets from using them as an outer layer. You'll find the Sitka Jetstream and Kuiu Guide jackets are much more durable and quiet than the puffys I've seen.

As you stated, I do tend to use the Jetstream as an outer shell most of time when I'm stationary. They do have a light insulation but their main function is a wind break.

As to outer shells, I'd estimate I carry only the Jestream 95% of the time. Both it and the Kuiu Guide will shed light rain/snow pretty good. They are not rain gear but do work well for the random precip event. I've hunted it during snow fall and never got wet. I have a complete set of Sitka rain gear that still has tags. The older I get, the more I dislike hunting in the rain. A drizzle is one thing but an outright all day rain usually finds me snuggled in my tent till it quits.

Another consideration. I grew up and still hunt in NW PA. I wear my Sitka gear when it's not raining but usually hunt in Rivers West gear up there due to the lake effect weather. Simply put, it rains alot. Usually misty, light rain events. The Jetstream isn't ideally suited for that situation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another thing I've noticed when I take eastern guys elk hunting the first time - they tend to wear way too many clothes on the hike in. In the east, we normally only hike a short distance to a treestand, climb in, and sit all day. Elk hunting in the west usually starts with a 2-4 mile hike. You'll be way over heated and sweating peofusely if you have too many clothes on. When that happens, you really need a wicking layer next to your skin to move the sweat away from your skin. If not, you'll be cold and clammy. For this very reason, I moved away from merino wool next to my skin and use all synthetic. I wore merino alot for 4-5 years and couldn't figure out why I got cold and felt clammy most of the day. The merino doesnt move sweat away from my skin faster than I create it. Plus merino takes longer to dry than a good synthetic. Once I switched to all synthetic, I wasnt cold as much and not clammy at all. Look up John Barklow and watch his dynamic rewarming drill video. I buy into the theory. It works for me. Start out hiking cold, you'll warm quick and arrive much less sweaty.

Last edited by bwinters; 02/19/19.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
BW,
I am appreciating your help here !
I think we are seeing things much the same.
I have also looked at the guide jacket vs the Jetstream.
Guide doesn’t have windstopper. So I’m guessing it’s more breathable , but not quite as warm. This might make it slightly better for an active jacket whereas the Jetstream might be better suited for a static jacket.
What is your take on the Jetstream vs guide ?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Forget the Guide go Axis Hybrid.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Forget the Guide go Axis Hybrid.

Will look at it .
Care to elaborate?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Axis has Water Proof panels on the hood, shoulders, and sleeves. It is the best Softshell Kuiu makes in my opinion. Finer touches than the Guide, and mine is a tad longer than the Guide. I am not a huge fan of Kuiu but they did this one right.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
The Axis has Water Proof panels on the hood, shoulders, and sleeves. It is the best Softshell Kuiu makes in my opinion. Finer touches than the Guide, and mine is a tad longer than the Guide. I am not a huge fan of Kuiu but they did this one right.

My concern is that with more wind and water resistance comes less breathability .
Will that not restrict this to purely a static layer ?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I was really trying to avoid carrying 3 jackets , but I might just have to.
Im starting to think Brad’s system might be right.
Base layer , mid layer, unlined soft shell , puffy , and a Gore-Tex hard shell .

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can lead you to water, but I can't make you drink. Good luck in your search.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
tagalong

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
MCH , I’m still listening.
I’m guessing you are packing the axis and a puffy , and forgoing the hard shell. Is this correct ?
I can see this being a viable system.
Can you do any walking in the axis without overheating ?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You can't compare me to you. I rarely get cold. I once snowboarder for 6 plus hours at Okemo Mountain in -20 weather. Only reason I went in was ski patrol noticed I was getting frost bite around the edge of my googles. The only thing I use a puffy for is around camp, belaying, and once in a great while glassing when it is really cold. So what works for me isn't going to work for you. I layer with a base of Smart Wool, then my pants for lower body. Upper body I will wear a fleece if really cold out then jacket. If I bring a puffy it is in my pack until I am not being active.

Anyways like I said I am no Kuiu fanboy, But the Axis is your ticket as far as I am concerned. If I didn't believe in it I wouldn't have suggested it to you. I don't believe in brand loyalty, I am loyal to what works.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned both. They are very similar in all characteristics and covers the same ground. I find the Guide to have smaller arms than the Jetstream. The reason I go with Sitka is the fact it fits better than the Kuiu. As a bonus, you can catch Kuiu on sale in spring and fall. Wont find that with Sitka.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.