Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve decided I need a new to me bow. I’m not going to buy a new bow but a used bow. Is there a website that you would suggest for buying a used compound bow? I’m thinking of a Matthews Switchback or something similar. I’m not locked in on any brand. 60-70 lbs and DL 30-31
Thanks

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I dunno where you are located, but there is a decent sized archery shop in Wabash IN called Bass n Bucks.
Their used bow selection is way down from what it was, but being a Mathews dealer they have a few at times.
(260) 569-1853

IIRC the Switchback and Switchback XT are non adj cams.
You could get either in 65% or 80% letoff, and draw length specific (non adj).
Was about 60 bucks back in the day to swap a cam.

I dunno what the price would be for that old a bow.

Don't know if a new Mission bow would get you something comparable, new w warranty for decent price.
IIRC the IBO spec on a SBXT was 315 FPS.

R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks hookeye! If you were to buy a used bow what would you buy and why? You gave info on the switchback that I did not know. I have been using the same bow Pearson Diamondback for 14-15 years now. That’s how far I’m out of the loop. Thanks

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Man you really need to go to a good archery shop and shoot everything you can. We all will tell you what we like best, which doesn't mean crap to you or the next guy. We all like, want, need different things. When you look for a woman, do you ask on the net which woman you should try to pick up?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Man you really need to go to a good archery shop and shoot everything you can. We all will tell you what we like best, which doesn't mean crap to you or the next guy. We all like, want, need different things. When you look for a woman, do you ask on the net which woman you should try to pick up?

he`s right go to a good pro shop ,maybe your draw length will even change some ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My advice is to go to an archery range as well. If you have a price limit, just let them know and you can find something in your range. I was a Hoyt shooter for years, and then decided it was time for a new bow, I ended up with a Bowtech and couldn't be happier. You never know, shoot them all and buy the one YOU like the best.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’d look at the classifieds over at Archery Talk. We purchased a couple of used Bowtechs this way. If you find an Experience in good shape, I’d jump all over it. Even though they’re an older model, some shops may even have them NIB at very substantial discounts. My boys and I have had a dozen different Bowtechs and never needed warranty work. A decade or more ago, some folks had limb failures. We never saw it, and the shops I frequent never saw any higher rate of failure than with any other brand. Used bows that have not been abused can be a real bargain. Good luck.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I’d look at the classifieds over at Archery Talk. We purchased a couple of used Bowtechs this way. If you find an Experience in good shape, I’d jump all over it. Even though they’re an older model, some shops may even have them NIB at very substantial discounts. My boys and I have had a dozen different Bowtechs and never needed warranty work. A decade or more ago, some folks had limb failures. We never saw it, and the shops I frequent never saw any higher rate of failure than with any other brand. Used bows that have not been abused can be a real bargain. Good luck.

So he should buy an Experience because you like it and have had no issues with it? I guess it doesn't matter how it feels and shoots for him.

TRY, TRY, TRY, TRY, Before you BUY! Figure out what you like and what feels right to you. Who cares what anyone else would buy.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Very good advice.

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A lightly used, but excellent shape bow with a new string and cables set up to fit your needs by an experienced tech or the owner of your local archery shop may very well be the best deal in outdoor sports.

The freely shared knowledge and service/support is pure gold.

IC B3

R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I had a Switchback XT, decent enough bow.
But I like my rigs a little longer and not single cam.

Pretty much a fan of the old Hoyt Cam and a Half system.

Not really crazy about the newer stuff.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Bass n Bucks should have demo bows, pretty big place.
Indoor range too, out to 50 yards.

https://www.bassandbucks.com/archery

Koteewi is a pretty new place, more south.......might want to check them out too.
I've not been there yet. Noblesville-ish

http://www.koteewiarchery.com/

Last edited by hookeye; 02/18/19.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I dunno what shops there are elsewhere.
A lot of smaller places have long since gone.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a bud that gets a new top of the line Mathews every 2 years.
My hunting partner, is same drawlength as our bud.
Scored super deals on his used but like new rigs.

Unfortunately I draw just a little longer and heavier poundage.....aint that the luck?

Last edited by hookeye; 02/18/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Classifieds on Archery Talk.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tons of bows on eBay but, you need to know what you want.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by pete53

he`s right go to a good pro shop ,maybe your draw length will even change some ?

^^^THIS^^^

The bow shop that I use has a rack of used bows. Plus. they'll usually have a room that you can shoot different bows into a bag, through paper, and through a chronograph. Shooting through paper is important to see how the arrow is flying in order to see if they need to change the knock placement.

Also, you think your draw length is 30 to 31, did someone measure you? When I started bow hunting in 1990 I was using my fingers and they measured my draw length at 31". When I bought my first new bow in 2000, I was using a release and they measured me at 29". I think as the technology changed, so did the way they measured me, plus I was using a release.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have been to a couple of bow shops recently. I think I’m going with a Halon. I’m still looking but one bow shop had a lot of used bows. Several caught my eye. The guy working there took time to talk about a couple of different bows. So the next step will be to shoot a few of them. Stay tuned...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Listen to this guy, on buying a bow and picking up women!!

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 3,497 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.