Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
John, yup at 95 or 96 i'll probably be senile enough !!!!!! grin grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The worst part about owning a Henry is that every time I pick up one of the other brands I am reminded that the fit, finish, and smoothness of the action could be better. I was perfectly pleased with the inferior quality until Henry came along.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The early Henry's made such an impression,
That I don't even look at them.

Fair, no.
But there it is.

I wonder if much of their popularity comes from their Made in USA ad campaigns.
I like to buy American, but don't buy solely on that.

Would prefer an older used, even abused Marlin. And its Made in the USA.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The ONLY .327 Federal levergun. Selection was easy.

Slim
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes the newer levers like the Henry lever rifles may not be as good as the older Winchesters or Marlins,but you can say the same thing about bolt action rifles also 50 year old Sako bolt actions,pre 64 Winchesters, Remington 700`s made in the 50`s, 60`s or 70`s those bolt actions were some of the best ever made. i kinda thing its America`s fault and some other countries too ? why ? good help is hard to get ,money > big gun companies want to build fast , cheaper materials with poor informed workers. try to find young people with good work habits and ability ,i know as a lineman and foreman i seen some very poor help hired in my line of work these days,but i did manage to get few that were good lineman. its like these young city -town broken family kids have no respect for anything or pride in what they do,its all me-me -me,you can bet Henry Rifles has trouble finding good help too these days.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
So much bad rapping Henry,have you ever owned one,I have.I'm 63,have owned many Marlins,Winchester,and a few (19) Savage 99's over the years.I have never owned any other that has had the factory wood to metal fit like my Henrys.The case color in my 45/70 is as real and beautiful as the best L C Smith I have ever seen,The pride in workman ship is justified,as is the quality.The owner will bend over backwards to make it what you want,and made in America.The Japanese Winchesters are nice but much more money,and made in Japan,the pre 64 Winchesters are history,nice but only available on the used market.Marlins(always were my favorite)are gone,like the pre 64 Winchesters,history,only used available and getting awful pricey.Henry is not trying to build you a pre-64 Winchester or an original Marlin,he's trying to build a great gun thats better than the current competition in todays market,build it here to help keep America strong,and building it with pride.Give the company a break,lighten up,go have fun shooting a Henry,enjoy it while we still can,those days are getting short in todays world.............................THANK YOU ANTHONY FOR GIVING US THE HENRY

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bgl0b6
So much bad rapping Henry,have you ever owned one,I have.I'm 63,have owned many Marlins,Winchester,and a few (19) Savage 99's over the years.I have never owned any other that has had the factory wood to metal fit like my Henrys.The case color in my 45/70 is as real and beautiful as the best L C Smith I have ever seen,The pride in workman ship is justified,as is the quality.The owner will bend over backwards to make it what you want,and made in America.The Japanese Winchesters are nice but much more money,and made in Japan,the pre 64 Winchesters are history,nice but only available on the used market.Marlins(always were my favorite)are gone,like the pre 64 Winchesters,history,only used available and getting awful pricey.Henry is not trying to build you a pre-64 Winchester or an original Marlin,he's trying to build a great gun thats better than the current competition in todays market,build it here to help keep America strong,and building it with pride.Give the company a break,lighten up,go have fun shooting a Henry,enjoy it while we still can,those days are getting short in todays world.............................THANK YOU ANTHONY FOR GIVING US THE HENRY

I've never owned a Microbus. That isn't necessary in order for me to conclude it is UGLY.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'll take a Miroku Winchester over a ugly tube fed Henry any day. I don't care that it's made in Japan. It's a quality gun. My Browning/Miroku shotguns have many thousands of rounds shot through them with not a single problem. The blueing is still immaculate and the actions are tight.
I also do not understand why people have to buy a new gun. A quality firearm will last many lifetimes if it is well maintained. A Winchester/ Miroku is the only new lever gun I would buy right now, if I wanted a new gun.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I didn't say the henry sucked. I will probably by one, one of these days. They are a different rifle from a marlin or a winchester, they just flat out are. I like the loading gate personally. I like the feel of the 1894 marlin better than the henry big boy both in handling and the way the action feels. If they made 1894's as a copy of marlin, I would much rather deal with henry. they are a better company no doubt. but they are a different gun,

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

I'll take a Miroku Winchester over a ugly tube fed Henry any day. I don't care that it's made in Japan. It's a quality gun. My Browning/Miroku shotguns have many thousands of rounds shot through them with not a single problem. The blueing is still immaculate and the actions are tight.
I also do not understand why people have to buy a new gun. A quality firearm will last many lifetimes if it is well maintained. A Winchester/ Miroku is the only new lever gun I would buy right now, if I wanted a new gun.

Its funny,I also said the Japan Winchesters were nice but expensive,Winchester catalog show 94's at about $1300-1400.When I started hunting a new 94 Winchester was $89.I have 2 Japan made Browning SA 22 rifles,I think they are beautiful little rifles,but I tried to sell one a while back,all I heard is it a Japan gun,if it was a Belgium its worth all this money,made in Japan no takers.I think the Henry is a beautiful rifle,and the funny thing is the deer don't care where I load it,My only statement in my post is it is a quality built rifle made by an American Co.As for the Micro bus,have you checked where those ugly busses are selling for.I never owned one either but I could retire on what those ugly things are worth today.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Nicely said yes i will agree Henry rifles is trying, now give me some other cartridges options please Henry rifles with a 22 inch barrel 6.5 Creedmoor or a 7mm-08 in your clip -magazine lever rifle .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Potsy
Fondled several Henrys at the RMEF show in Vegas. The more I handle the 16.5" Big Boy Steel (they had a .44 mag at the show), the more I like it.
16.5" Big Boy Steel Carbine weights 6.59lbs. Prolly is heavier than a short barreled '92.
In terms of a 16.5" .45 Colt though, it comes closer to what I want, than anything CURRENTLY produced at anywhere near that price point. At least as far as I can tell.

I would likely swap to a regular lever instead of the big loop and put on a Skinner peep on it.

The one I went with as a walking around rifle for targets of opportunity (like coyotes, and a deterrent for any 2 legged predators) and companion to the 44 handgun I usually carry. I like winchester 94s as I think they carry better and not as heavy as Marlins in equal calibers. I don't consider this Henry heavy, however I've yet to shoot it. Action is smooth, wood is nice, would prefer a loading gate but for what I'm using it for and the price it should do well. My first lever in a handgun caliber, and first Henry.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don’t mind the tube feed and don’t mind the weight, what I do mind is the price is quite high for no loading gate. The new production Remlins seem to have most of the QC issues sorted. The Henry price point is just to high for what it is.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Went out yesterday to shoot our lever hog guns. The Henry .41 mag is just head and tails above the Winchester .44 mag we shot. The Winchester is a 1980's model and the Henry from 2 years ago.
The action and trigger are much better on the Henry, tight and no creep on the trigger.
Unloading, open the tube and pour them out, no need to work the action.
Really nice wood and the fit and finish is great.
The .41 mag was also more accurate with the hand loads.
For a $600 rifle, no issues what so ever.
The balance on the Henry Big Boy Steel was also much better than the Winchester.
I like the big loop and it is very easy to swap out.
Henry makes a quality product.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The overall conformation of the Henry isn’t like the originals he copied. The name Henry itself implies great American tradition but Anthony is no more American than a Volvo. His guns look like junk and how his wood to metal fit is implied to be better than original Winchesters and Marlins is disingenuous.

The title to this thread is about what you don’t like about a Henry, here area few...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The overall conformation of the Henry isn’t like the originals he copied. The name Henry itself implies great American tradition but Anthony is no more American than a Volvo. His guns look like junk and how his wood to metal fit is implied to be better than original Winchesters and Marlins is disingenuous.

The title to this thread is about what you don’t like about a Henry, here area few...
I don't think Henry was trying to "copy" any previous model of Winchester, Marlin or Savage lever action. That may be a good thing cuz original Winchester 66's and 73's as well as Savage 99's and Marlin 56's/ 57's are uglier than homemade soap. What makes you think Anthony Imperato isn't just as "American" as you or Oliver Winchester ?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I couldn't agree less. The fit and finish is great on my rifles and the action also preforms flawlessly. I own plenty of Winchester rifles and a Browning BLR.
What I don't like about a Henry , nothing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have to go back a lot of years to find a lever with the fit and finish of a Henry.

Don't get me wrong, I like all the levers, but Henry is Henry. It's in a class of it's own. I find it amazing all the wasted effort in trying to discredit it by comparing it to something different.

I don't expect a savage 110 to be a Remington 700 or a Winchester 70. You simply pick your preference and move on.

While all the arguments exist for the superiority of the savage 99, the Winchester, or the Marlin; the truth is, they don't exist any more. I plan to take advantage of the one American company that can make a quality lever rifle while I can, and not spend all my time trying to make them mimic a failed company.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.