Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#13575435 02/18/19
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Lots of threads on here about the Last Alaskans. Watching this am and heard Heimo say something that surprised me. They were hunting moose and he said they has 10 days to get a moose before season closed???

Thought they would fall under subsistence hunting and could take a moose whenever???

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Subsistence also has a season. Some caribou seasons extend through winter into spring but not so much for moose.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
maybe on the show they gotta do the law thing but the truth really is if these great people need a moose they get one to eat anyway they have too. no game warden would ever bother these hardy people if they need meat to survive out in that wilderness area. there`s a old rule for country people born and raised in the country >you people live by city people game laws we live by country common sense laws , we need meat we get it if something bothers us we shoot it and get rid of it,seasons and dates may not mean much if your hungry.

Last edited by pete53; 02/18/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There may be a deer season but the deer are eating my alfalfa and I'm eating them.

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rusky
There may be a deer season but the deer are eating my alfalfa and I'm eating them.

yep ,keep that iron skillet handy ! i can almost taste that fresh meat and onions cook`n in bacon grease !

IC B2

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Any Alaskans care to opine?

Montana MOFO
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
There are general season and there are also additional federal subsistence seasons for rural residents. Either way, there are still seasons, it’s not a free for all even in the bush.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ykrvak
There are general season and there are also additional federal subsistence seasons for rural residents. Either way, there are still seasons, it’s not a free for all even in the bush.

That's my take on this as well,,we abide by the seasons (quite generous) and those that don't feel the wrath!

I tend to use more than enough gun
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
We pay knowledgeable people good money to watch the wildlife and fish to determine seasons and limits.
If the system is not working then it needs fixed, otherwise we need to follow these guidelines.
If our chosen lifestyle does or allow us to follow these guidelines then it may be time to re-evaluate that lifestyle.
Any fish or game over-harvested makes for tougher future use.
Not getting into specifics some areas appear to have large bear and wolf populations and very few legal moose.
It appears that if more bear and wolf were harvested it will be easier to fill a skillet.
That being said if you live in the Bush and took the time to harvest a full limit of bear and wolf, your quality of moose hunting may increase to the point that a 10 day season would not even raise a discussion.

All This! And the circus too?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by waterrat

That's my take on this as well,,we abide by the seasons (quite generous) and those that don't feel the wrath!

No way, Pete says you do whatever you feel like and the brown shirts don't care.....some of the things you read around h ere. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
believe what you want but these people don`t look like they are starving and i am glad for these hardy people.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lol... From the horses mouth.

Of course they aren't starving.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by pete53
believe what you want but these people don`t look like they are starving and i am glad for these hardy people.

Don’t believe everything you see on tv. Some of the “Bush” people from these shows spend half the year in town and some live in villages which are hardly the bush. There are a few who are genuine but most are not full time bush residents. I’ve said enough. It’s not my place to throw folks under the bus.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not much "real" on "reality" TV.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Wardens in the Bush are just a bit more common than white moose, but not by much. Scarse resources go where there is the most need (human population centers) , not necessarily where the most per-capita sub-legal activity occurs..

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And then we have "proxy hunting" that skews the numbers.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by waterrat

Agree, plus they are always living on the ragged edge of the Parks Service's good graces and probably don't want to rock the boat.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've known Heimo for decades and he and his family are the real deal. So is Marty Meierotto, Mike Horstman and a few of the other "reality stars" and all of them have honest ethics.
I am also friends with a number of dedicated state wildlife troopers and know that in today's world many cases of illegality are obtained from social media and TV shows.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Happy birthday Phil!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I do not live in Alaska anymore though I did for several years and guided brown bear hunters for several of theose years. For the most part everyone knew and abided by the game laws. They did so while bitching about 1st Nation doing as they damn well pleased...i.e. spring egg collecting, shooting from a powered boat, etc. Now "if" you could find a truly self suffiecent old school whom does not live part time in town, uses a dog sled , NO modern equipment then fine live off the land BUT if you have a 60hp motor on your boat and you run out of town so you can shoot swimming caribou then run back to your house in town living off Gov't heat/fuel subs you should be forced to obey game laws. While most have a duck season the gov't gives 1st Nations case of steel shot to hunt waterfowl 365 days a year...THAT IS USING THE SYSTEM. What about the 1st Nations druggies who use ARs to shoot walrus off ice floes then sell the ivory/ Just try to get an walrus permit. I could go on but you get the point. It can not be denied it happens in every village/town in the state.

Last edited by 1bigdude; 02/21/19.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.