Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
How do these older square ones compare to other $200 class LRF available new?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Rang...unting-Golf-More-With-Case-/173791421842

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
How do these older square ones compare to other $200 class LRF available new?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Rang...unting-Golf-More-With-Case-/173791421842

They work well, the CRF are preferable due to the single hand use over the flat square model...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Nikon 600 RF, and I liked it a lot. But, it had a max pig/coyote range (deer too) of 400 yards. Maybe if the light was right it would range to 405 yards. I needed a range of at least 500 yards, so with a bit of google research I decided on a SigKilo 1250. Tried it out for a week or so, and the ranging was spotty. I’d range a deer at 600 and then I couldn’t range one at 500. Sometimes no reading at all. Frustrating. I sent it back and bought a Leica 2000B, and that rascal really works. Even on dim foggy rainy days it ranges great. I was using it to range some deer right at dusk on that dim drizzly day. Ranged them easily at 350 and 360 and when I overshot them, it ranged the dark woods on the other side of my hay field at 511 yards. Longest ranging so far was at a deer at 770 and a cow at 1290 yards.

I really like this Leica 2000B and the way it works, but I can’t say that a more expensive SigKilo than the 1250 won’t work as well.

When I was trying to decide what to buy, I noticed that most RF reviews were based on ranging targets and not on little brown coyotes at distance, so the reviews really didn’t give me the info I wanted. But I now have the RF I needed.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have used for years a Leica CRF 900, bought it on a great deal from Cameraland when it became obsolete with the demand for more range. With fresh battery, I have routinely ranged well over 800 yards, and a few times over 900. It is very fast, portable, easy to use. No ballistic junk, just range. Highly recommend Leica.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whatever LRF you buy, I'd test it thoroughly. If it doesn't perform as expected, send it back. I think there is more to it than make/model. The variability from one unit to another, from the same company, can vary.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Whatever LRF you buy, I'd test it thoroughly. If it doesn't perform as expected, send it back. I think there is more to it than make/model. The variability from one unit to another, from the same company, can vary.

I have looked at many units from many manufacturers including sizable numbers at once and have never seen any variability within a model under identical conditions. I have seen a number of people ranging the same object at the same time and all ranges come out exactly the same after taking into account a step or two within the group.

There are people that cannot find a range standing at a tee with the description of the hole in front of them, but that ain't the LRFs fault.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 603Country
I had a Nikon 600 RF, and I liked it a lot. But, it had a max pig/coyote range (deer too) of 400 yards. Maybe if the light was right it would range to 405 yards. I needed a range of at least 500 yards, so with a bit of google research I decided on a SigKilo 1250. Tried it out for a week or so, and the ranging was spotty. I’d range a deer at 600 and then I couldn’t range one at 500. Sometimes no reading at all. Frustrating. I sent it back and bought a Leica 2000B, and that rascal really works. Even on dim foggy rainy days it ranges great. I was using it to range some deer right at dusk on that dim drizzly day. Ranged them easily at 350 and 360 and when I overshot them, it ranged the dark woods on the other side of my hay field at 511 yards. Longest ranging so far was at a deer at 770 and a cow at 1290 yards.

I really like this Leica 2000B and the way it works, but I can’t say that a more expensive SigKilo than the 1250 won’t work as well.

When I was trying to decide what to buy, I noticed that most RF reviews were based on ranging targets and not on little brown coyotes at distance, so the reviews really didn’t give me the info I wanted. But I now have the RF I needed.

I have an older Nikon 400. Very rarely, if conditions are perfect, it will reach 400. Usually around 350 to 375 is the max.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I was out on a golf course yesterday with my Leica CRF and can read the flag on the green to nearly 200 yards, that is a pretty small target...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Leica CRF-2400-R is the way to go

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found the 2000B on sale, which is why I bought it. Can’t remember the actual price, but it was very attractive. Still paid more than the SigKilo 1250 had cost.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A little quick fix for the CRF Leica's, when you remove the battery cap look at the little ring around the threads. That is the ground connection. If it is dirty or "flat" and not sticking out it can be a problem. Not working or intermittent. Clean the outside edge with a pencil eraser or 600 grit sandpaper and carefully bend it back out so there is some tension. Things will then be good to go again. Only issue I have seen with the Leica CRF series.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I have looked at many units from many manufacturers including sizable numbers at once and have never seen any variability within a model under identical conditions. I have seen a number of people ranging the same object at the same time and all ranges come out exactly the same after taking into account a step or two within the group.

There are people that cannot find a range standing at a tee with the description of the hole in front of them, but that ain't the LRFs fault.

Good for you. I have seen problems, and it wasn't the operator at fault.

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/17/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Good for you. I have seen problems, and it wasn't the operator at fault.

I have too 4th point, I had two CRF 1200's that absolutely sucked. Sent them both back. Using an RF isn't exactly rocket science, more like point and shoot assuming you have a solid rest for the "one handed" units. Lots of RF's have trouble giving readings depending on the weather.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This is good advice that applies to any piece of gear and is particularly apt when considering a sophisticated instrument.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I'm absolutely positive that the Leica and Sig units will outperform the Vortex, or any other unit at the $250 price point. And they should, at twice the price. If I was going to be using the unit quite often, I might consider a higher end unit. However, I will likely be using this unit only for a once a year hunt out west. Back East I don't need to use a range finder for anything I hunt inside 200 yards or so.

All the more reason not to buy a piece of junk. Why let a couple hundred bucks spoil a $4K hunting trip? Some older models like Leica 1000-R and 1200 can be had on close outs. Happy Trails

Yeah, I'm sure the pricey Leica works out very well for you. However, given the reviews and Vortex's rep for NOT producing junk, I doubt that their rangefinder will be the cause of a spoiled $4000 hunt. Not to mention that I'll have a very experienced guide giving yardage input to verify what the cheap Vortex reads, including equivalent horizontal distance.

Whatever works out for you works best, I suppose. I think I only paid around $500 for my Leica and that was a few years ago. Most of the Vortex stuff is not the quality you think it is since most, if not all, is Hecho en China, Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WAM

Whatever works out for you works best, I suppose. I think I only paid around $500 for my Leica and that was a few years ago. Most of the Vortex stuff is not the quality you think it is since most, if not all, is Hecho en China, Happy Trails

I'd be willing to bet Leica's (and everyone else's for that matter) laser/electronics are Chinese as well. If it wasn't it would cost twice what they sell for.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I wonder how Vortex manages to stay in business with their lifetime unlimited warranty on all that "junk"...

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by WAM

I'd be willing to bet Leica's (and everyone else's for that matter) laser/electronics are Chinese as well. If it wasn't it would cost twice what they sell for.

I’ll bet you are correct on that. I’m sure the innards of many LRF and some scopes are from Asia and/or countries other than the country of assembly. It is hard to avoid Chinese stuff in anything electronic these days. I have just found Leica optics work very well and probably due to the standards and quality control in their manufacturing process. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM

Could be, I just picked up a like new used Leica 1600 for $200 - it is heads and tails better than the Nikon Aculon that it replaced. Ranged off some rocks the other day at over 850yards. The Nikon was good for around 300. Not to mention the optic is amazing as well. Watch for a used Leica.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by WAM

Could be, I just picked up a like new used Leica 1600 for $200 - it is heads and tails better than the Nikon Aculon that it replaced. Ranged off some rocks the other day at over 850yards. The Nikon was good for around 300. Not to mention the optic is amazing as well. Watch for a used Leica.

So the new Leicas were way beyond my means. On the advise from centershot, I started looking for a deal on a used one. I found one like new, that's never even been hunted. It was just a bit more than a Vortex 1300, but comes complete in original box with all documentation, a Leica tripod mount and extra batteries. Should arrive by the end of the week.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, batch, 257robertsimp, 14 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.