Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
223 with limb saver is as good as it gets. cheap and low recoil. 55gr mono or 62+ for cup and core.
another rifle would be a bolt in 7.62x39. Cheap, fairly low recoil and very effective on deer.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My 8 twist Shilen .22-250 Mohawk with Timney and aftermarket bottom metal. I found some 80 gr. Midway bullets that were actually 75 gr. Apparently they are Hornady TAP/SHB bullets that were bought as surplus by Midway. They're not available otherwise. They shot really well in my rifle, should be good WT bullets. http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/75-gr-tap-sbr Took some research to ID them. They're made for short barreled .223's, should open pretty well at .22-250 speeds. Not sleek, LR bullets, but at typical deer hunting range should work well.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the 75 ELD and 88 ELD,while holding the Fluff.

Hint................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
My 8 twist Shilen .22-250 Mohawk with Timney and aftermarket bottom metal. I found some 80 gr. Midway bullets that were actually 75 gr. Apparently they are Hornady TAP/SHB bullets that were bought as surplus by Midway. They're not available otherwise. They shot really well in my rifle, should be good WT bullets. http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/75-gr-tap-sbr Took some research to ID them. They're made for short barreled .223's, should open pretty well at .22-250 speeds. Not sleek, LR bullets, but at typical deer hunting range should work well.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man I love that!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooopsie!............

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A Fireball can't make enough velocity,to get out of it's own fhuqking way.

Hint.

Laughing!..............

Tell it to the back straps.............and have a couple more lithiums.........

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Scroder,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Laughing!...............

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man I love that!

Thanks, me too...

I got some more of those bullets from a Fire contributor. Midway doesn't have any more.

One of these days, I'm gonna bust something with that load. I've got too many Loony projects ongoing.

But, that's just another Loony problem...

DF

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Wondered why this went to 8 pages until I saw all the posts by people I have on ignore. It takes real talent to wreck a thread even when you're on ignore lists.Hat's off to 24hr, home of the best trolls on teh interwebs.

And, OP, it looks like you're on the right track. I make my kids practice multiple points of aim on deer so they don't get locked into trying to make a .223 or 6.5G work for all angles. Also, when you see what kind of groups you hold on different points with x-ray style targets it tells you what you can and can't actually hit. I have been real proud when they turned down shots on deer because they knew they couldn't make them; just as proud when they drilled the shots they chose.

Not to say you aren't more capable than them, just that expanding your shot choices when using lighter cartridges is helpful. I know I will use a higher power rifle on a heart/lung when I coulda just used something lighter and shot somewhere else.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 02/19/19.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Wondered why this went to 8 pages until I saw all the posts by people I have on ignore. It takes real talent to wreck a thread even when you're on ignore lists.Hat's off to 24hr, home of the best trolls on teh interwebs.

You Window Licking "victims" are a fhuqking hoot! Hint.

Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!..............

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Bump the 125s up to >2,500fps and they become 300 yard point blank shooters.

Zeroed at what distance?

A little over 200

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by GRF
Just a thought a .243 with and 85 grain TTSX or some other mono metal bullets loaded into the mid range of powder charge should be light recoiling and deadly. If you can tolerate them putting a muzzle brake on would make recoil almost nil.

Just my two cents. Good luck in finding a solution that works for you.

I second this thought

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How is it we can be this deep into a thread and the 223 has been completely overlooked?

223 with Partitions or Nosler Bonded will wreck a deer.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm with Paul... a .223 used under moderate distances will kill well. I have dropped the EARSPLITTIN LOUDENBOOMERS over the last few years in favor of the little rifle more often. I have had my best results with 55 gr softpoints out to 250 yards... If I'm going to be hunting where I have more range, I will take a bigger rifle.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by fredIII

Lmfao ...You are nothing more than a rank and file amateur that spends his whole paycheck trying to impress strangers all the while the castle is empty.

lol

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
How is it we can be this deep into a thread and the 223 has been completely overlooked?

223 with Partitions or Nosler Bonded will wreck a deer.

What thread were you reading? 223 was mentioned multiple times.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman

Bump the 125s up to >2,500fps and they become 300 yard point blank shooters.

Zeroed at what distance?

A little over 200

A 125 Ballistic Tip started at 2550, zeroed at 225, looks to be 3.5 inches high at 125 yards and 8 inches low at 300. That window is too tall to fit my definition of point blank.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
One of the things I still struggle with, after 5+ decades of chasing big game, is that I grew up in an era of 22's and shotgun slugs.Rainbow trajectories and getting close remain instinctive. I would guess that is why I most comfortably a woods hunter. I have learned the hard way, and more than once, than when I am in open country, I rely on the guide, or a range finder for anything much over 100 yards, Pathetic, but true.
In any event, my instincts lead me to 100 or 200 yard zeros, then dealing with appropriate holdover for anything further out. Happily, 95+% of the big game I've taken, have been within 200 yards.
In recent years, I done a bunch of hunting with a receiver sight on a 300 Savage, and been able to fill several tags. Due to my limitations, I am good with that rifle to about 100 yards, but most shots have been well within.
I am pretty conservative in my definition of point blank, and minute of deer. I guess I take far more of a hunters point of view, and don't to tangled up in BC's, dial up scopes, or even regular use of gizmos like range finders and trail camera. I've even been switching several of my scopes from variables back to straight 4x an 6x. The simpler the better as I age. I'ld like to think I'm getting smarter, but I bet lazier is be more accurate.
Yup, I'm a luddite.
Having said all that, there have been sufficient comments on the 223 to make me think I need to give that a whirl. Tho' Mules Deers comment on the Hornet's ability to get the job done will get a further consideration. The old guy in me gives the Hornet some cool factor.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you reload this is a great option - https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

Another option - The 22-250 hits deer like a lightning bolt. I like 60 gr Nosler Partitions and 60 gr Hornday hp's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the spirit of the thread I'll recommend the .219 Donaldson Wasp. Because the .223 is too easy of an answer and too sensible and those are both good reasons to overlook it.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 3,057 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.