Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68
You are claiming that surfers are ultimately the best athletes in the world. Sure they are good. But I don't think that Slater as brilliant and brave as he is would want to travel through every bad village in SE Asia and through Chen village in China and challenge each village champ to spar, sometimes with edged weapons. There are millions of white dudes that surf but there has only been one white dude who become all Japan Kendo Champion and a national treasure of Japan who was born in the US. He was an Olympic level Judoka and world class competitor in Sanshou Kungfu (full contact) and didn't stop till his death.

No No No I never said that. I said a single surfer is at the top of the discussion in my opinion based on his body of work. I never once discredited your selections merits or his body of work. I never even said he wasn't in the discussion.

You brought up a statement that you came to the conclusion that there are more Kendo athletes in the world than surfers. This maybe true, I don't know. I said popularity of the sport has nothing to do with the athlete in question and their body of work should be what is judged.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Greatest white athlete... does not equal an 8th place finish in his last race, nearly an hour behind first and 6 minutes in front of the fastest woman. Even at his age.

I would put my DIY public land hunting in front of his, absolutely. Not all of his DIY hunting truly fits the name, BTW.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Larry Bird...

Don't hold it against me, but I came of age in the 80's as a huge Lakers fan. I hated everything about Boston, parquet floors, white towels, announcers who used bad grammar, Tommy Heinsohn, air conditioners that did not work in the visitors' locker room in June, and especially, Larry Bird.

Bird couldn't get his heels six inches off the ground at the same time. He couldn't run, jump, cut, was slow-footed on defense, was only a so-so dribbler, and looked like an anteater to boot.

Compared to the Laker thoroughbreds, the guy was Shrek in a pair of cement Converse.

Except ...

the SOB could shoot the rock, had great anticipation (regularly put on clinics on how to block out), and had icewater in his veins. I saw a documentary on TV recently in which opposing players told of Bird going into a timeout with seconds to play and the game on the line, and telling them on his way off the floor how he was going to come out of the timeout, and hit the winning shot from right THERE, and point to the spot.

And then he'd come out of the timeout, come around a pick, receive the pass right THERE, and drop the bomb.

I wouldn't choose Larry Bird to win any footrace, jumping contest, strength, speed, quickness agility, yada yada, as in he was not the most ATHLETIC dude around.

But ask me to put my money on the one white guy I'd want deciding things? That's easy. Larry was as clutch as clutch comes. He caused me a lot of heartburn back when I bled purple and gold.

I don't know if anyone ever did more with less than Bird. Much as I "hated" him then, he (and Magic) were sure fun to watch.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Greatest white athlete... does not equal an 8th place finish in his last race, nearly an hour behind first and 6 minutes in front of the fastest woman. Even at his age.

I would put my DIY public land hunting in front of his, absolutely. Not all of his DIY hunting truly fits the name, BTW.

As I stated in the response to your PM. There is nobody in the Hunting community that has more athleticism than him. I am not solely counting his races as his complete body of work. because you, or I don't like someone doesn't just discredit all of their accomplishments. Maybe not everything he has done encompasses DIY Public land. But he is at the top in the hunting world as an Athlete.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RickBin
Larry Bird...

Don't hold it against me, but I came of age in the 80's as a huge Lakers fan. I hated everything about Boston, parquet floors, white towels, announcers who used bad grammar, Tommy Heinsohn, air conditioners that did not work in the visitors' locker room in June, and especially, Larry Bird.

Bird couldn't get his heels six inches off the ground at the same time. He couldn't run, jump, cut, was slow-footed on defense, was only a so-so dribbler, and looked like an anteater to boot.

Compared to the Laker thoroughbreds, the guy was Shrek in a pair of cement Converse.

Except ...

the SOB could shoot the rock, had great anticipation (regularly put on clinics on how to block out), and had icewater in his veins. I saw a documentary on TV recently in which opposing players told of Bird going into a timeout with seconds to play and the game on the line, and telling them on his way off the floor how he was going to come out of the timeout, and hit the winning shot from right THERE, and point to the spot.

And then he'd come out of the timeout, come around a pick, receive the pass right THERE, and drop the bomb.

I wouldn't choose Larry Bird to win any footrace, jumping contest, strength, speed, quickness agility, yada yada, as in he was not the most ATHLETIC dude around.

But ask me to put my money on the one white guy I'd want deciding things? That's easy. Larry was as clutch as clutch comes. He caused me a lot of heartburn back when I bled purple and gold.

I don't know if anyone ever did more with less than Bird. Much as I "hated" him then, he (and Magic) were sure fun to watch.

Yes he was by no means what one would consider the greatest white athlete and I am a Boston Fan. But he is one of the greatest to play the game of basketball.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No way Slater isn't in the mix. Surfing is like sex. Unless you've done it, you can't understand. 11 world titles.

Here he is last year at, what, 46 or 47 years old, paddling into huge Cloudbreak, backside.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

The topic isn't what is the greatest white athlete in the most popular sports.

The discussion does include [rather than exclude] sports identities from the more popular sports.

and there's no doubt that the more exposure a sport has / more popular a sport is , the more recognition
a highly talented sportsperson is likely to receive.

Athletes that win olympic gold in some sports receive way more public recognition and media attention
and lucrative corporate endorement-sponsorship, than olympic gold winners in other less popular but
equally as difficult and challenging (in their own right) disciplines.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Larry Bird...

Except ...

Love watching youtube video's of Larry!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JimH
Larry Bird...

Except ...

Love watching youtube video's of Larry!

Great player. Lots of "more athletic" players but few players that were better than him.

Watch some of the Mac McClung vids on youtube. Very athletic young man.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What about Hellen Keller? For what she had to work with, she overcame more than most of the big names.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Thickest Barrel in the World

https://youtu.be/35CSnPlFdIs

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Jerry has already been mentioned but he is a national treasure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHG-ibZaKM

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Jim Thorpe

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Jim Thorpe

Red man...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68

Yes Sir Danny can ride.

As can these two Canucks.

[Linked Image]

The Godfather of Freeriding

[Linked Image]

Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 13 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,301
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.