Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
FWIW, I've not noticed my load of 75HPBT's/26.0LVR2750ish being hard on brass or primer pockets, but my testing ain't exactly scientific (primers didn't fall out when I picked the cases up off the ground:)). My AR is gassed pretty close to correct and I pulled the o-ring out of the extractor so it'd be a bit kinder to rims, so the "once fired" brass I bought from brassman honestly comes out in better shape than it went in (some of it was pretty rough and dented up initially).

A couple of variables; I've READ (not actually measured for myself) that 75BTHP's have a bit less bearing surface than 77SMK's, and, I am running a BHW barrel that I've READ tends to run a bit faster than a conventionally rifled barrel. Not to say that anyone ever READ anything false, inaccurate, or unsubstantiated on the internet (sarcasm emoji).

I will say that while Varget and 4895 have a great reputation (I've got a couple buddies that I'm pretty sure put Varget on their Corn Flakes), I just ain't running stick powder while loading for an AR. Lever, TAC, and H335 run through the uniflow way too easy.

Reading David's posts about running TAC in both a .223 and a .308 sorta made me wonder aloud about Lever in a .308, just sayin'.

Someday, in a perfect world, it's gonna dry up, warm up, work is gonna let up, and I'm gonna get to shoot a bit..............

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am getting 2625 fps from a 16" barrel using 8208 behind 77 gr TMKs and the accuracy is impressive. Sd is 3, but thats only from 4 shots measured. I have tried Varget and CFE223, but could not get the velocities or accuracy of 8202. What velocity range could lever get me into? is it worth testing since I am happy with the 8208?

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I tried the 77 TMK with Lever and settled for 2671 fps in the same gun. A half a grain more powder got me 2726 fps and was a little warm in 92 degree weather.

So really not a whole lot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm struggling with the Hornady 75 BTHP at 2.250 to find anything good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does that barrel shoot anything well? I didn't take time to go all the way back thru the thread.

If it does, try another powder & move on; but some say that the 75 Hornady does better not being pushed too hard but I've not seen that.

I've found marginal barrels to be finicky, liking only specific combinations; really good barrels are not finicky & generally shoot most combinations well, maybe some a little better than others.

Finicky barrels don't last long with me.............just too much effort wasted.

MM

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I've found marginal barrels to be finicky, liking only specific combinations; really good barrels are not finicky & generally shoot most combinations well, maybe some a little better than others.

MM

This.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I posted a ten shot group with 25 Varget and the 75 BTHP that’s an inch.

How much better do you think that barrel should be?

John Stark.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Looks like Vargets's your answer, and Lever isn't.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I couldn't find where you said what barrel it is, & even if I knew, it would be hard to tell how good it could be.

Regardless of what some like to think, 10 shots <MOA is not all that easy to get to & is surely not a given. But some here like to obsess with it.

Varget is generally a good performer, but it meters like rocks for any volume loading so I really don't use it but if it works, then use it.

As has been stated before 8208 is generally accurate as is AR-Comp, TAC & some of the V V powders. If your gun really doesn't like 75, then try some 77's or 69's from Sierra.............the TMK's in 69 have been very good for me.

I don't user Lever, as for the most part, I just think it's too slow & there are better choices, other than that I can't comment on it, but it's definitely now very impressive in your gun.

MM

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I couldn't find where you said what barrel it is, & even if I knew, it would be hard to tell how good it could be.

Regardless of what some like to think, 10 shots <MOA is not all that easy to get to & is surely not a given. But some here like to obsess with it.

Varget is generally a good performer, but it meters like rocks for any volume loading so I really don't use it but if it works, then use it.

As has been stated before 8208 is generally accurate as is AR-Comp, TAC & some of the V V powders. If your gun really doesn't like 75, then try some 77's or 69's from Sierra.............the TMK's in 69 have been very good for me.

I don't user Lever, as for the most part, I just think it's too slow & there are better choices, other than that I can't comment on it, but it's definitely now very impressive in your gun.

MM

Now you are just trying to hurt bsa feelings..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm struggling with the Hornady 75 BTHP at 2.250 to find anything good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sadly like you I could not get lvr to shoot in my AR with 75, or both nosler and sierra 77’s. I switched over to 8208 so far 77 sierras shoot the best followed by 75gr hornady then the 77gr noslers. I still get a flyer, it’s either me or maybe the brass that’s causing it. More than likely it’s me, I need to get a better buttstock. Currently running a magpul but need to get one with a better cheek well.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

I’ll have a UBR-2 for sale as soon as I get the parts from Magpul to remove it. FDE color.

PM me if interested.

John Stark.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

I’ll have a UBR-2 for sale as soon as I get the parts from Magpul to remove it. FDE color.

PM me if interested.

Ah man I need black, that’s what I’m looking at as well the ubr-2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It can be black. Use your Krylon-fu.....

John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
for 223 and light bullets. I don't see how you beat benchmark for speed, accuracy and lack of finickiness. the load I run with 50's has a 3 grain window that has no POI shift within that range. it also outruns every other powder I have tried.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Older thread, but I wanted to toss these up.

Plain Jane 1-7 16" PSA upper with a little 1.25x4 VXR Patrol, stock trigger and such.

[Linked Image from i723.photobucket.com]

These were Hornady 75 HPBT's, CCI450's, LVR and LC brass.

I think I am going to retry them in my rifle since I have a little more magnification and a better trigger as well, just to see if 25 and 26.5 both shoot about the same. I have a butt ton of LVR, so I'd like to make it work. No ideas on speeds yet since the MS won't pick up rounds well with the sensor being so far from the muzzle.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Each square is a centimeter? So, in English, 4" groups?

John Stark.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pretty much David. I’m not sure if it hates the bullets, powder, etc. I’m going to try the same thing with 77 grain Sierra TMKs and see what happens.

I’ll try the Hornadys in my gun with the same charges as well just to see what’s up. I’m sure there is plenty of speed on them but 3-4” won’t cut it.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know it goes against what one buttmunch recommends, but not every rifle is in love with Lever.

I'd move on to something else.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I found LVR to be very good in my bolt guns and not so hot in my AR's. I did notice it worked better in my 20 inch barreled upper but it really puts out good speed and accuracy in my 22" barrel on my Model 7 with 75 grain bullets.

Last edited by rickt300; 04/03/20.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 53 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.