Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Purchased a new (large size & table) to be delivered tomorrow. Are there any secrets or special things that I need to do before cooking on the BGE?
Any suggestions on what to cook while practicing on this new addition?
Thanks,
Jim

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We've had one since the mid 90s before folks really ever heard of them. I've got the large.

Its a natural chimney, just wad up some newspaper and cover with lump charcoal, open bottom and top vents, light, and let it do its thing. That being said...don't let temp get a lot higher than where you want it, it can take awhile for it to come back down due to its ability to hold heat. I keep the bottom vent wide open and adjust temp with the top vent wheel. If still too hot, like when low smoking...I'll start closing the bottom vent. With bottom vent open all the top vent holes open and the wheel cracked...usually gets you around 350. Learning how to control the temps is the biggest learning curve.

And make sure you "burp" it! If not, you'll burn up your gasket and some eyebrows.

Cook everything pretty much as always, it just comes out a better on the bge. For a steak, keep both vents wide open, it will get around 650 700 degrees...a couple of minutes on each side is usually enough. Smoke chicken/turkeys at 300, pretty easy. Burgers/pork chops usually around 400. A plate setter should be your first "egg"ccessory. I'll place an aluminum pan on between it and the grate to catch the drippings or add water when smoking. The plate setter makes it act more like a convection oven.

I've bought and used cheaper lump charcoal, but the bge stuff is a lot better and worth the extra money in my opinion.

Last edited by killerv; 02/21/19.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JimHundley
Purchased a new (large size & table) to be delivered tomorrow. Are there any secrets or special things that I need to do before cooking on the BGE?
Any suggestions on what to cook while practicing on this new addition?
Thanks,
Jim

Chicken thighs or wings should be your 1st cook

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never heard of them.

[Linked Image]

grin grin grin

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks, everybody!
Bowhunr: πŸ˜‚

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had mine, the large, for five years and I'm very pleased with it. It'll do a mighty fine steak. Plus, it'll hold a constant temperature for hours with a single load of lump charcoal, which makes doing a brisket a snap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm with Dan on chicken being your first cook. The BGE shines on poultry and you will not believe how moist it stays. A pork butt would also be a good choice for a first cook. Did you cook on charcoal or gas before buying this egg?

Mike

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I would do a pork shoulder.

You can do chicken on anything.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Mike: Charcoal on an Old Smokey. Chicken, ribs, burgers, a couple of briskets, and steaks.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yup.
Pork shoulder.
Low and slow.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do the knockoffs work as well? Is BGE just a name?

Sams has the vision brand, i think.

Dave

οΏ½The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.οΏ½ Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have cooked on Kamado Joe''s and Primo's and they pretty much cook the same, but BGE has the best warranty of any of them. When you have ceramic cookers at some point something is going to crack and it was BGE's lifetime warranty that sold me along with the many positive reviews. They have replaced a base for my first large, a charcoal bowl for my mini and a fire ring when I still had my XL....no questions asked.

A more versatile cooker you will struggle to find. I make everything from low and slow bbq to pizza and steaks that are seared at 700-800*. Play around with your temp control and as someone said earlier catch your temp on the way up. They are a bitch to cool down! If I'm cooking above 300* I don't even use the "daisy wheel" for the top. I will tell you that once your fire is established with the dome open if you crack you lower vent about the width of a #2 pencil it will hold 400* for one helluva long time and just a bit less for 350*. PM me if you have questions . I have cooked and competed with them since 2010.

Mike

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Do the knockoffs work as well? Is BGE just a name?

Sams has the vision brand, i think.

I cook on a Pitboss K24 which size wise is in between the BGE L and XL. They are awesome to cook on. First few cooks I did chickens and chicken parts to get that greasy smoke seasoning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the replies.

Guessing the other brands don’t have a lifetime warranty?

I’ll look at the vision brand next trip to sams. Seems like it’s $589’ish.

Dave

οΏ½The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.οΏ½ Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Pitboss has a lifetime warranty. If you shop at Costco keep an eye on them. They usually drop them to $399 for a week or two. You getbthe stand, side tables and 2 tier grates.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Thanks for the replies.

Guessing the other brands don’t have a lifetime warranty?

I’ll look at the vision brand next trip to sams. Seems like it’s $589’ish.

I have a Vision and its been cooking mighty fine for me. I've had it about 8 months now and use it 3 or 4 times a week. The warranty is lifetime as well. Do not know how the customer service or warranty is as I've never needed it. I can get it up to 700 degrees in 20-25 minutes no problem and it holds heat like a bastard once it's hot. I wanted a BGE as well but just couldn't justify the cost. The Vision has been great for me and I probably use it a little more than most people will.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I looked at most of the kamado style grills and ended up going with a primo XL. I do a fair amount of 2 zone grilling and that is very difficult to achieve on a round kamado. Its a great setup and if given the choice again, I'd pick the primo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the oval design. I just cooked a couple of homemade pizzas on my buddies two weeks ago and I was impressed with the even heat on the pizza stone.

Mike

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Now you β€œneed” a THERMAPEN to cook things to the exact temperatures for desired doneness. πŸ˜€

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do know firsthand that the Kamodo Joe grills do not hold up well in a salty environment. Good friend bought one to supplement his BGE at his beach house in Mobile Al., and all the metalware (handle, hinges etc) rusted out in 18 months. The BGE is still in good shape after about 10 years.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

69 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, AscensionIndustries, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,113 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,483
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.