Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I know there are hard antlered deer year round but half or more are on a spring rut cycle so when will the majority have hard antlers? By June most are in hard antler so how long before this will they have shed the velvet?

Last edited by Tejano; 02/18/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They rub velvet off in late September, early October.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by hanco

He's talking Axis deer not whitetail

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Seen the early ones drop around fall if I'm not mistaken. Friend has them on his property and got desensitized to seeing them grow antlers at different times of the year. Though I saw a few during the regular rifle season that were just starting to grow out this past year.

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they rut at different times all through the year, fawns can be born any time through the year, they drop their antlers/ regrow according to their birthdays. a January born bucks horn development will differ from that of one born in june. that's why some are hard horned and some are still in velvet when you see them.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
OP is referring to stripping of velvet, not shedding antlers. We saw by far more hard horned axis bucks in July than we did in April.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
OP is referring to stripping of velvet, not shedding antlers. We saw by far more hard horned axis bucks in July than we did in April.

yea and if you can comprehend what I wrote you would understand that it varies from when they were born. what rut cycle the doe's got bred in. I have been hunting in texas different times of the year...February, june, September, November and have seen fawns that have just dropped, bucks chasing doe, velvet and hard horned bucks, and bucks that have already shed. there is no set date for an axis to shed velvet like there is for a whitetail. they shed when they are ready

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I worded the last sentence badly. Used shed when I should have used scraped the velvet. One source said approximately 70% of the stags are on the spring early summer rut cycle and the rest could be anytime with a secondary rut mid winter. Looks like May or June might be the earliest for the June/July rut bucks. With some of the up to 30% having hard antlers anytime I guess I should get after them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When axis buck grows antlers, shed velvet and sheds antlers is determined by when they are born...

At least that's what I've been told.

You encounter a herd of axis, and you will see some with hard antlers, some in velvet, and some that have shed.

They are nothing like whitetails or mulies, and have constant cycles year around for antler growth, breeding and such.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

LMAO

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This thread is interesting, I never knew this.

I was wondering why this guy was still in velvet last March.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I found a bit more on what I briefly hit on about antlers above...

Axis Deer
History

The axis deer can be traced to the foothills of the Indian Himalayas and island of Sri Lanka ( Ceylon). Their original habitat was open country at lower elevations in forested regions. They have been introduced onto other continents and are a favorite of zoological gardens around the world. Free ranging populations exist in the continental United States, Hawaii, and Australia. Axis deer were introduced into Texas in 1932. Texas has by far the largest population of axis deer in the United States.

SPECIES SPECIFICS

General

Axis deer have striking reddish-brown coats marked by white spots arranged in undisciplined rows along their sides. They have a black dorsal stripe and a white bib on their neck, white inner legs, stomach, and undertail.

Male heights range from 29 to 39.5 inches. Mature weight is from 145 pounds to 250 pounds. Males have darker facial markings with a more pronounced “scowling” expression the older they get. Female axis stand 26 to 33 inches and weigh from 90 to 150 pounds.

Axis bucks can be in hard horn any time of the year. They grow and shed antlers on their own clock so in one heard there may be a newly shed buck, a hard horn buck and a buck in velvet.

Usual antlers are 22 to 27 inches, with trophies ranging from 30 to 36 inches. Axis have a typical antler structure of three points on each side consisting of a main beam, one secondary point halfway up the beam, and a brow tine. However, four points are not uncommon.

Reproduction

Axis deer have a high fertility rate and can breed year round, usually based on their birth date. A primary harvester of excess animals in the Texas Hill Country reports that they have never harvested an axis female that was not pregnant, lactating or both.

http://www.nadefa.org/articles/axis-deer

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the information. There is an Axis deer farm near me and I am going to start keeping track of those to see if the 70% spring velvet scrape is true. The only problem is that this herd may have a more limited gene pool skewing the timing. I will also use this herd to practice my calling on. This and get out hunting now instead of waiting till June.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Most of the Hill Country Axis shed antlers in December. I have seen many get shot in hard antlers & be bald before they hit the ground. Typically they shed velvet about two months prior to July.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I found a bit more on what I briefly hit on about antlers above...

[quote]Axis Deer

Axis bucks can be in hard horn any time of the year. They grow and shed antlers on their own clock so in one heard there may be a newly shed buck, a hard horn buck and a buck in velvet.

Gee...I think I herd that somewhere before, but maybe I herd wrong about how axis run in heards.....

I just can't pass this schitt up....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495

LMAO

And that really is internet gold....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
[quote=rockinbbar]I found a bit more on what I briefly hit on about antlers above...

Axis Deer

Gee...I think I herd that somewhere before, but maybe I herd wrong about how axis run in heards.....

Me either. But, there are plenty of titty-babies here that really get their panties in a wad when you point it out to them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve spent a lot of of time with Axis deer over the past few years, and have learned a whole lot more by practically living with them than from any other source. There’s just not much real life information to be found on them anywhere else. I’m actually scouting & camped on one of the most heavily populated Axis properties in Texas as I type this. I easily saw a couple hundred in a 2 mile stretch of river bottom today. I’m in some highly populated whitetail country, but the Axis deer have taken over here. There’s truly too many of them here, but most of the landowners in the immediate vicinity don’t hunt.
I don’t pretend to be a expert, only a student, but here’s some things I’ve learned first hand by observing a few different places that are Axis strongholds:
During the spring & summer months, roughly 70% of bucks will be hard horned, with the remaining 30% having hard antlers during the typical fall hunting season.
Although often very hot weather, June & July is the time when you’ll find the most productive hunting, with many bucks rutting.
Hard horned bucks will travel from herd to herd, roaring and seeking receptive does.
Axis bucks roar to announce their state of rut. Mature bucks typically make 3 consecutive vocalizations in sequence. Younger bucks may often make less than 3, as they sound somewhat less confident.
Axis are grazing herd animals and travel much like cattle as they feed.
Does emit elk like sounds, that appear to be mainly contact vocalizations. When alarmed they make a very sharp & loud “bark”.
I have very often observed multiple hard antlered bucks in the midst of a herd of does that would all be roaring but never fighting, although I’ve seen videos of them having serious battles.
Bucks seem to take a very long time to grow their antlers to maturity, compared to our native antlered species. I can’t really put exact figures on it, but I’m guessing 2-3 times as long as a whitetail, for instance, maybe even longer.
Well, that’s just a few things that I have personally observed. Your mileage may vary.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by ingwe
[quote=rockinbbar]I found a bit more on what I briefly hit on about antlers above...

Axis Deer

Me either. But, there are plenty of titty-babies here that really get their panties in a wad when you point it out to them.

I here that spelchek kan sumtimes switch a wurd to anuther wurd whin yu arnt payen atenshun. laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
I
Bucks seem to take a very long time to grow their antlers to maturity, compared to our native antlered species. I can’t really put exact figures on it, but I’m guessing 2-3 times as long as a whitetail, for instance, maybe even longer.
Well, that’s just a few things that I have personally observed. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the info. Here the whitetails shed around Valentines day and usually have hard horns by October. The Axis shed around December/January and are in hard horn by late May or June, some say April too. So pretty close to 7-8 months for each. This from the comments here and what I have read and also from local guides. If this is true then Whitetails take slightly longer to develop antlers. But I am sure it varies by herd and also where the original stock came from since they range from the Himalayan foot hills to Ceylon. Also the antlers look similar so you can easily mistake the same age class bucks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.