Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Suggestions?

Looking at options for a reproduction revolver in 44-40 or maybe 45 colt, something historically pretty faithful. A close facsimile in a period correct chambering. Do fancy the Rem 1875 in 44-40, though the one uberti rendition i picked up left me a little cold. The 7” Schofield no 3 is intriguing in 44-40, but have never laid hands on a reproduction, and pricey decision. I read it is slightly lengthened thru the cylinder to accomodate 45 colt, whereas the original was not long enough to accomodate that round. What else might you consider?

Am already invested in an 1873 carbine (44-40) and p-model peacemaker (45colt). Not really looking to join cowboy action shooting due to schedules, but do get a kick out of authenticity.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’m no help because I would recommend you stick with a real Colt or USFA, otherwise anything else is just “almost “

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've owned or own all those you mention. Another choice is the reproduction of the Smith and Wesson #3 single action 2nd model Russian. The one I have is 45 Colt, but I think it's available in your caliber as well. The 44-40 used to be my favorite western cartridge and is still dear to my heart. There are also Smith and Wesson New Model #3's floating around from when they re-issued that model maybe twenty years back. They are not inexpensive. The Italians have also made that model with Beretta's Stampede probably still available NIB at gunshows.

If you're into the closing days of the frontier, the Bisley, also available from the Italians, is a great choice. I have a Beretta and it is a fine weapon.

Slightly off-topic but...I remember when the Texas Sesquicentennial Commemorative Smith and Wesson came out in 44-40. A few years back, I saw one in a gun store. Alas, I didn't snap it up. I should have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Slightly off-topic but...I remember when the Texas Sesquicentennial Commemorative Smith and Wesson came out in 44-40. A few years back, I saw one in a gun store. Alas, I didn't snap it up. I should have.

You mean something like this?

[Linked Image]

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

Yours looks identical to mine. the N frame grips being too big but those Hogues are just right! One of my favorite double action revolvers, ever.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]
No I mean one that's not dicked up with nasty rubber grips on it.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lol, can't you operate a screw driver [bleep]?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No I mean one that's not dicked up with nasty rubber grips on it.

How's this???

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That looks like a model 544 Smith and Wesson...pre-dicked up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That looks like a model 544 Smith and Wesson...pre-dicked up.

Sorry about that, but that gun has been fired and I will almost always shoot a S&W revolver with Hogue Monogrips. They are an improvement...

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only .44-40 I've owned was a Merwin-Hulbert.

A very good gun in its day.

I'm not certain which model I had. It looked like a 4th model Frontier but did not have the folding hammer shown in pictures. It had the top strap, nickel finish, and ribbed 3-1/2 inch barrel. It was in pretty far shape, nickel a little chipped in places, but lockup was solid.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had a couple of Merwin's over the years. I cannot recall their calibers. I think one of them was a 44-40. Didn't shoot either. One had proprietary stag grips that I took off of it and sold for what I gave for the gun. Then I sold the gun for what I had in it.

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've always sort of figured that the replicas of the S&W Breaktop, no. 3, or Schofield really should be offered only in the original cylinder length. The longer cylinder just doesn't look right. Not only that but it gives the 44 Russian a reason for living, and that must count for something.
It really is a loss that USFA went crazy and committed suicide. With the popularity of the 1873, I imagine their 44 WCF guns would be quite popular. These guns are pretty hard to find, and even harder to find at anything approaching a decent price, but they are dimensionally correct. I've noticed that some folks seem to have forgotten that the early USFAs were just cleaned up imports, inferior to the later examples.
I once had the joy to get my mitts around a 3rd gen SAA. Darn thing could really shoot, both cast and jacketed. I never did Mike the chambers, but they were excellent for creating an accurate gun. I'm not even certain if Colt even offers the 44 WCF any longer, and today the price of used guns is guaranteed to remove this option for most.
Who knows, maybe Ruger will try to offer 44 WCF cylinders again, but this time do it right. They have a mid size frame that would do well with it. Might be worth submitting a request.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Remington 1875 "Outlaw" in .44-40 was always my favorite. I had an Uberti back in the 1970s. What made you "cold" toward it?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Suggestions?

Looking at options for a reproduction revolver in 44-40 or maybe 45 colt, something historically pretty faithful. A close facsimile in a period correct chambering. Do fancy the Rem 1875 in 44-40, though the one uberti rendition i picked up left me a little cold. The 7” Schofield no 3 is intriguing in 44-40, but have never laid hands on a reproduction, and pricey decision. I read it is slightly lengthened thru the cylinder to accomodate 45 colt, whereas the original was not long enough to accomodate that round. What else might you consider?

Am already invested in an 1873 carbine (44-40) and p-model peacemaker (45colt). Not really looking to join cowboy action shooting due to schedules, but do get a kick out of authenticity.

Thanks for any suggestions.

For reproduction the only truly historical Colt-style SA is the Pietta. Uberti's and USFA's are very, very close, but their cylinders are slightly larger in diameter and have slightly thicker cylinder walls. But if I hadn't told you, you probably would've never known, most folks don't.

35WN

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
The Remington 1875 "Outlaw" in .44-40 was always my favorite. I had an Uberti back in the 1970s. What made you "cold" toward it?

The uberti i handled in the store, the under barrel web (which is kind of the visual focal point) was a crudely cut piece having saw marks on the cut edge, and sharp edged. Now, maybe that's how they were back then, but given the nicely done polishing on the rest of the revolver, it made the web appear a hastily executed and tacky add-on. Sure, I could file the edges face clean and soften the sharp edges, but a blue job later - is it worth it? So, on to the back burner it goes.

Historically, the revolver interests me.

edit: and maybe that example was a dud, but haven't seen another in person to lay hands on

Last edited by sandcritter; 12/15/18.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

The uberti i handled in the store, the under barrel web (which is kind of the visual focal point) was a crudely cut piece having saw marks on the cut edge, and sharp edged. Now, maybe that's how they were back then, but given the nicely done polishing on the rest of the revolver, it made the web appear a hastily executed and tacky add-on. Sure, I could file the edges face clean and soften the sharp edges, but a blue job later - is it worth it? So, on to the back burner it goes.

Historically, the revolver interests me.

edit: and maybe that example was a dud, but haven't seen another in person to lay hands on

Love my Uberti Cattlemans (2 44-40, 2 357 Magnum, 1 45 Colt w/45 ACP conversion cylinder and my Uberti Buckhorn 44 Magnum w/44-40 conversion cylinder
https://www.44winchestercenterfirecartridges.com/single-post/2018/08/18/A-Little-Revolver-Fun
https://www.44winchestercenterfirecartridges.com/ojala-fast-draw
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SavvyJack; 12/26/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice weapons SavvyJack.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I’m no help because I would recommend you stick with a real Colt or USFA, otherwise anything else is just “almost “

bla bla bla another Colt snob.their guns are way overpriced and the quality is no better than the reproductions.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

now we all know your worthless opinion so we can now get back to the mans question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
320 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 33 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.