Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For me it is anything past 600 because I practice with clay pigeons at that range. For others it is much shorter. And for others it is longer.

How do you define it?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would depend upon what rifle I have in my hand at the moment, but...………………. I pretty much agree with you. I'd personally back it in 100 yards to 500. Here's why...……….. We used to have a get together of a bunch of buddies, all with sporter rifles. We'd shoot paper at 100 and 200 and steel at 300 and 600. The 600 yard steel was an 8" gong. There were guys/rifles there that would be on the steel every shot, all day long at 600. There were other rifles (NOBODY was using target knobs and dialing...……...all Kentucky) that just could not, WOULD not get on the steel out there. I think, with knobs and a dope chart, it's a whole different ballgame. But to just throw the rifle over a rock, log or backpack and shoot at a critter that's about to leave, 500 is probably the outer limit for most rifle/shooter combos.

Just my unwashed opinion.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I am a wuss,anything past 350 yards.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
"500 is probably the outer limit for most rifle/shooter combos"

I'm pretty comfortable on antelope at 400, elk at 500. 600 on elk would have to be perfect conditions, even though I've hit about 40$ on clay pigeons at 600 with various rifles.

Daughter #1 passed on an elk at 476 last fall because she wasn't comfortable, even though she practices out to 600. Good for her. We got to her comfort rage of 400 and the elk were in the trees by then. Oh, well.

Later that day she too 3 shots at a mulie buck at 116 yards. (Dumb-asss buck.) Then another at around 200-300 (I forget the yardage). Something had gone wrong with her rifle. She then used her hubby's .300WSM, which she had never fired before, to nail the second (another dumb-ass) buck.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/24/19. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't consider myself a long range hunter. I practice to 600 yards with my hunting rifles. 400 would be my current limit under most field conditions. With a good rest and modest wind, I could stretch that to 500.

In my mind, long range hunting starts somewhere between 500 and 600 yards. I enjoy long range shooting. I don't ever see getting into long range hunting.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Long" Range is the other side of a sane zero.

Trajectory is Physics,wind is Voodoo and it's never been difficult to cypher who shoots...and who don't.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Where are your trophies from 1000 yard matches?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rovert
I don't consider myself a long range hunter. I practice to 600 yards with my hunting rifles. 400 would be my current limit under most field conditions. With a good rest and modest wind, I could stretch that to 500.

In my mind, long range hunting starts somewhere between 500 and 600 yards. I enjoy long range shooting. I don't ever see getting into long range hunting.

You and I are in the same boat. Farthest critter I've ever shot was a groundhog at 488 of my steps...……….which are longer than a yard. Did it when only the military knew what a rangefinder was. Guessing 510-515 actual yards. So, shooting a big game animal, to me, would not be that hard for me today...……….with a LRF and a better rifle/scope combo. I just don't shoot many critters at all anymore except turkeys with a shotgun and whitetails with a bow, so...…………. But, I thoroughly enjoy shooting paper and steel. We can do 600 right now at the farm. Hoping to move about 2 treetops this summer and 700 is a done deal. Next stop is at a neighbors place to secure permission to place a target on his property, and 1000+ is right there. Want to have a rifle put together for just that sorta shooting. The donor is in the safe. But shooting at a big game animal past 500 or 600 wouldn't get me off in the least.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Long for me is 300 yards. I say that because I have only ever shot one elk at 400 yards and 4 or so deer at over 300 yards. Everything else is usually under 200 yards with a lot under 100 yards. We shoot most of our game with a 20 Gauge shotgun and sabot slugs.

During hunting season here the wind is usually howling. So if you see something you could usually just keep your head down and sprint to within 300 yards before even beginning a stalk.

My oldest daughter and I found some whitetails last year that we put a stalk on and she took a doe at about 8 yards with a 25-06. We first spotted them at around 400 yards distant.

I am confident shooting to about 500 yards but have never needed to ever fire a shot that far at game. The local range has a 566 yard steel gong that is not much of a task to hit with my 308 or 6.5 Grendel if it is not blowing hard. My 25-06 or 300 RUM would probably be cheating.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 22LR wouldn't even be "fair".

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Fug Stick only has participation "trophies".

Politics is War by Other Means
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Fug Stick only has participation "trophies".

wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trybone,

You cain't "afford" the Entry Fee on Life. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Better luck next time?

Bless your heart for trying though!

Hint.

Laughing!...............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Trybone,

You cain't "afford" the Entry Fee on Life. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Better luck next time?

Bless your heart for trying though!

Hint.

Laughing!...............

Oh, Look !!!! Pigz Dik Post Variation #3...……………..the "you can't afford it" post !!!

Raise the draw bridge !!!! Raise the draw bridge !!!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pass him the lithium...……………..

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don’t know the definition of long range hunting.... but I know a long range hunting shot when I see one.

There’s days when 400 is a long ways.... and days when 600 is a chip-shot.... trick is, knowing the difference.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
500yds with a 22LR,ain't that far.

Hint..............

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
For me it is anything past 600 because I practice with clay pigeons at that range. For others it is much shorter. And for others it is longer.

How do you define it?

Golf balls are better!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They ain't that tough to hit.

Hint...............

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Stinky, Looking back 19 years ago, you seemed to be able to carry on a somewhat civil conversation with just a hint of intelligence. What the hell happened?
You now have the vocabulary of a five year old retard. We know you have some knowledge of firearms but absolutely no ability whatsoever to convey this knowledge. Spreading all this hate and discontent has done nothing for anybody especially you. No big deal for me, I going to dinner and read a book.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.