Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
We will be grinding 20-30 deer a year for family and friends.

That is one hell of a lot of work. Obviously you two or someone is going to have to bone out all that meat but you have to consider also that you have to trim as much silverskin off of it that you can because even if you buy the biggest most baddest ass grinder on the market that stuff tends to wrap around the cutting blade and gum up the works....not to mention the quality of the finished product. If you are going to add fat to your ground meat, that has to be acquired prepped as well. Obviously, it all has to be packaged. Hopefully those family and friends are planning to help out with some of that and bring meat to you ready to just run through the machine that they then take home and package. You have to have a place to work.

The biggest reason I process my own deer is because I have control over everything and always get my own meat and I am all for it. After you look at your time, investment in equipment, etc., I don't look at it as saving money. I feel like I am EARNING the fee I would pay a processor and then some, even though I think processing is enjoyable work.....its still work. You also have to consider that the time you spend on the process is time that you could be hunting.

So I guess I am saying its not a panacea and there is more to it than just buying a nice grinder.

Anyway I would recommend you get a #32 LEM or Weston for what you have planned. IMO, you might be better off 10 or 15 years down the road getting parts for a major brand vs getting something connected to any one retailer. Something from Hobart would be awesome but probably cost prohibitive even if you find something used but might be worth looking for.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

GB1

S
S
Gourmia has 3 heavy duty stainless steel blades for fine, medium and rough cuts that I think can be used to mince any bone and meat. You can easily make minced meat, sausages, and kibbeh at home. I have not tried other brands, but the electric meat grinder will be a better choice for you if you don't want your hands to get tired.

Last edited by sherryvan; 02/25/19.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cut and paste into your browser,

meat grider site:https://www.24hourcampfire.com/

Dave

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Look for a used Hobart Commercial. You can sometimes get a deal on them and never look back.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Weston units look good too. Cabelas used to be made by Weston in the previous version, then they shopped it out to a lower bidder for the "Carnivore" series. Now made by Blue Sky innovation.

The Cabela's lifetime warranty is now kaput, even if you bought an older one with the warranty. Thank Bass Pro for that.

The new Cabelas ones have a 5 year limited.warranty through the manufacturer only. Most quality brands will have that, at least.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
no problems with my Cabelas grinder.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
you grind 30 deer a year that machine?

Or just one every 5 years

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Roystu
Look for a used Hobart Commercial. You can sometimes get a deal on them and never look back.

This ^^^

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good information Thanks

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have the 3/4 cabelas grinder and it has worked great for 8 years. This year it was really cold in Missouri and I had a problem getting it started. It kept throwing the breaker when I pushed the power button. Turns out, the cold made the grease inside stiffen up. Once I got it warmed up by putting it inside by the heating vent, it started right up. Just FYI if you ever run into that problem. Mine paid for itself by the second hunting season. No more wondering if I am getting “my deer” or worrying about the quality of the processors work. No more lead fragments in my burger either. I can’t recommend enough, the benefit of having your own grinder and separate stuffer.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
you grind 30 deer a year that machine?

Or just one every 5 years

So....one deer every 10 years?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've put about 10-15 deer a year through my 3/4 Cabelas carnivore grinder since I bought it about 4 years ago. Plus an occasional mountain goat or moose. Works great.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My 3/4 HP Cabelas works great, had it 7 years. It's done 40+ deer and 4 elk and going strong.

MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Been looking at a Cabelas grinder.

Are they good enough to not justify a LEM??

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
LEM 1hp has worked well for me. Plenty of power and metal gears. Had a cheap 1/2hp grinder from Sportsman's Warehouse that had plastic gears that blew up half way thought a processing session. Bought the LEM and have no regrets.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Cabelas Carnivore like others have suggested. We have the 1/2 hp and you can't bog it down. It grinds as fast as you can feed it. If I did it over I'd do the 3/4 hp just for the feed dimension.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a LEM #22 1hp big bite. Grinds up meat as fast or faster than I can feed it. Had it for about four years. I use it for a few deer a year and sausage through out the year. I cant say I work the heck out of it. No issues. Heavy as all get out. I would suggest waiting for a sale. I bought this one on a 40% sale. Seems like they have a big sale every year. Im satified with my grinder purchase but cheaped out and got a 5 lb stuffer. What a PIA. Ok for small batches but for 25lb runs its to small. You do more loading than stuffing.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grab a one horse power on sale.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,223
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.