-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Fifty years of experience has landed me firmly in the Benelli camp if talking semi-auto’s. M1’s, M2’s for the black synthetics, or for some wood which I like, the Montefeltro or Ultralight. But then, I’m not a dedicated turkey hunter though I’ve taken many with a whole range of guns.

Their actions work on the inertia system rather than gas, resulting in a much simpler, lighter, and easier to clean gun though for the same reason recoil is a touch heavier. High quality.

One thing I wouldn’t suggest is a 3.5” gun. It makes for a heavier gun and depending on make, recoil can be brutal; with great 3” ammo I can’t see the application where it’s worth it.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Fifty years of experience has landed me firmly in the Benelli camp if talking semi-auto’s. M1’s, M2’s for the black synthetics, or for some wood which I like, the Montefeltro or Ultralight. But then, I’m not a dedicated turkey hunter though I’ve taken many with a whole range of guns.

Their actions work on the inertia system rather than gas, resulting in a much simpler, lighter, and easier to clean gun though for the same reason recoil is a touch heavier. High quality.

One thing I wouldn’t suggest is a 3.5” gun. It makes for a heavier gun and depending on make, recoil can be brutal; with great 3” ammo I can’t see the application where it’s worth it.

I don't have 50 years! smile

But I am with you 100%. If you can't kill it with 3" you need more practice.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I don't have 50 years! smile

But I am with you 100%. If you can't kill it with 3" you need more practice.

There is a reason they use Benellis in South America for doves. They literally shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds through those shotguns and they keep on going.

I have the SBE II and I use the 3 1/2 for turkeys and geese. A Super 90 would last you a lifetime without a hitch and I would endorse both George and MCR’s recommendation with no doubt you wouldn’t be disappointed...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
For turkeys, avoid inertia guns unless you want to pay extra to upgrade parts for reliability. Search "Benelli click" for an explanation. The Beretta A300 leads the pack for affordable gas guns, but the extra barrel ain't real cheap. You can get a Mossberg pump for what a Beretta barrel costs.

I suggest the A300 for wingshooting and a Mossberg 505AF 20ga for turkeys. Mount your sight on the barrel. There are various options. Aimtech Rib Rider is one. Load Federal TSS and a SumToy choke on the 20 for gobblers. The light 20 will be much more enjoyable in the turkey woods.

Has to be the funniest thing I have read all day. How many Benelli's have you shot over 100K rounds through? M1 on top has well over 100K bottom has well over 30K

[Linked Image]

You failed to comprehend the part about "For turkeys". There's a point here about which you're ignorant. No, I'm not going to tell you.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
For turkeys, avoid inertia guns unless you want to pay extra to upgrade parts for reliability. Search "Benelli click" for an explanation. The Beretta A300 leads the pack for affordable gas guns, but the extra barrel ain't real cheap. You can get a Mossberg pump for what a Beretta barrel costs.

I suggest the A300 for wingshooting and a Mossberg 505AF 20ga for turkeys. Mount your sight on the barrel. There are various options. Aimtech Rib Rider is one. Load Federal TSS and a SumToy choke on the 20 for gobblers. The light 20 will be much more enjoyable in the turkey woods.

Has to be the funniest thing I have read all day. How many Benelli's have you shot over 100K rounds through? M1 on top has well over 100K bottom has well over 30K

[Linked Image]

You failed to comprehend the part about "For turkeys". There's a point here about which you're ignorant. No, I'm not going to tell you.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
With the exception of someone who has deficiency of normal visual skills, the necessity of some type of optics on a shotgun for Turkeys is a point about which "you're ignorant". Good shooters knock things out of the air, yet a fat turkey on the ground needs an optic?

In addition to which no semi auto shotgun outruns a Benelli. Does a Benelli know it is being shot at a Turkey instead of reliably functioning on a clay? And no, I'm not going to tell you. Their downside is they kick more than a gas gun of equivalent weight. Especially noticeable when you get into the big 3 and 3.5's. However, all semi's will eventually click, along with SxS, O/U's, S.S, etc. None are immune. Something else about which "you're ignorant".

If reliability is the goal then get a good pump shotgun. But eventually it will click. But unlike the Semi's, it will most likely be caused by the primer and not the shotguns mechanicals hiccuping.

Addition: Deficient primers or primers seated too deep are often the cause of "click".

Last edited by battue; 02/26/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
With the exception of someone who has deficiency of normal visual skills, the necessity of some type of optics on a shotgun for Turkeys is a point about which "you're ignorant". Good shooters knock things out of the air, yet a fat turkey on the ground needs an optic?

This has always baffled me too...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Please, don’t start using them on Grouse. The population may never be able to recover. You guys are already good enough to be knocking their heads off with open sight pistols. 👍

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

[Linked Image]

Oh yeah right because shotguns know what they are killing, right gotcha. Show I guess Benelli's are not Turkey friendly. Honestly you can't make this crap up.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never used a sight or a scope to kill a turkey. I shoot them just as I shoot Geese in the face. Except the geese are flying and the turkey is strutting around. Battue you got A400 you can sell me so I can kill turkeys? Evidently my Benelli's are no good. I am going to have to sell them. Man I sure will miss them, we have had a great run together. And yes Benelli's kick a little.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Heck you kill them with old style recurves and sticks. For sure you don't need a red dot sight on a shotgun. Hell, I'll give you the A400....As soon as I get my barrels back from Giacomo. grin Right now I can't get the O/U to even click....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Heck you kill them with old style recurves and sticks. For sure you don't need a red dot sight on a shotgun. Hell, I'll give you the A400....As soon as I get my barrels back from Giacomo. grin Right now I can't get the O/U to even click....

What Barrels are you getting for the Perazzi???? If you were really my friend you would keep the A400 and give me that Perazzi! smile smile smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have to wonder about the A400, I mean Anthony went to an Over and Under! What the hell????

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The reason being he was training to make the Olympic Bunker trap team. He went so far as to put in his own complete Olympic bunker trap on the M&M grounds. Pretty cool in that we all can shot it when down there. He came real close to making the team, but something happened and he missed one of the qualifiers or he would have made it. Something along those lines anyway.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Ain’t no “bennelli click” going on in the sbe3

And I tried to make it do it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

What Barrels are you getting for the Perazzi???? If you were really my friend you would keep the A400 and give me that Perazzi! smile smile smile

Mid rib separated on two different ones, so they are getting re-attached. The barrels kind of bounce around a little right now. Anyway, Perazzi has a problem with them and they are unwilling to even consider doing anything. They say you shot them too hot. Well, you can shoot a Browning and Beretta till the wood gets hot and their mid-rib stays attached. I'll be going back to my Kraut heritage. I'm done with the Diego's.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The reason being he was training to make the Olympic Bunker trap team. He went so far as to put in his own complete Olympic bunker trap on the M&M grounds. Pretty cool in that we all can shot it when down there. He came real close to making the team, but something happened and he missed one of the qualifiers or he would have made it. Something along those lines anyway.

Yes I knew that Battue but didn't know that's why he switched over. Makes sense. I have shot a few rounds on his Bunker Trap. I think you and I shot a round on it together a few years back. Maybe the US Open????? That was when I punched into AA. Thank god I haven't been shooting, I can at least hang in A.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Mid rib separated on two different ones, so they are getting re-attached. The barrels kind of bounce around a little right now. Anyway, Perazzi has a problem with them and they are unwilling to even consider doing anything. They say you shot them too hot. Well, you can shoot a Browning and Beretta till the wood gets hot and their mid-rib stays attached. I'll be going back to my Kraut heritage. I'm done with the Diego's.

Did I see Duffy is shooting a K-Gun?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They have the Open there again this year....I'm signed up....Let me know if you can make it....If you can, I will see if Lois can make some squad adjustments....

Yes, he is shooting the LW Parcours, and doing well with it. The "boy" is in the Veteran class these days. My how time goes on by.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve had a Berretta A400 12 too. Very good looking gun; good shooting gun. But, again, for me and the miles we walk for pheasants, it’s just too heavy when compared with the simpler, lighter Benelli guns. So why carry the extra weight?

As they say, your “mileage” may vary.

Oh, an additional point not insignificant to me. I’m a lefty. The Beretta A400’s safety is reversible but complicated and requires a Bereatta-certified ‘Smith to do it. Benelli’s safeties are stupid-simple to reverse (Benelli must have my profile).

Why don’t I buy a true lefty even if I can reverse the safety? Resale. Love those Ben’s.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.