Print Thread
Hop To
#13566967 02/15/19
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'm sure it's been covered here before. I'm looking at the Tikka over under 12/.222....I'm thinking it's called a model 07 but I'm not sure...Please tell me the good, bad and ugly on these? Any info on this would be well appreciated...

Well made?
Accuracy?
SS trigger?
Ball park price?
Anything?

I had a Charles Daly Empire grade 12/.223 and sold it years ago like some of the other stupid stuff I've done in my life...I've fooled with a Savage 24 a couple times but not much so my knowledge on combination guns are limited...

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The good, they are well made, there are a lot of them available, usually quite accurate.

The bad, single trigger so you have to run the selector on the off side of the action to select rifle or shotgun, hammer you have to reach up and cock it for each shot, you need to have a hammer extension or mount the scope high to get your thumb under it.

Two triggers and a safety make much more sense.

They are in the $600 range. For that you can find a CZ/BRNO, Valmet, Baikal, American Arms/Marrochi all double triggers and safeties in the same shotgun guage and rifle caliber

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by erich
The good, they are well made, there are a lot of them available, usually quite accurate.

The bad, single trigger so you have to run the selector on the off side of the action to select rifle or shotgun, hammer you have to reach up and cock it for each shot, you need to have a hammer extension or mount the scope high to get your thumb under it.

They are in the $600 range. For that you can find a CZ/BRNO, Valmet, Baikal, American Arms/Marrochi all double triggers and safeties in the same shotgun guage and rifle caliber

That's some great info! Im going to look at some of the others you mentioned... Thanks Erich...

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Having used a Tikka 07 and a few examples of the others mentioned, I'd agree with all of that. The need to operate the side selector and cock the hammer for each shot makes them quite unhandy compared to a combination with a trigger for each barrel.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks dan_oz....What about scope mount or rings for the Tikka? What will fit and can you get it?

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about the Tikkas, but the 300 series Valmets (hammerless and more versatile) use Sako dovetail mounts that can work as viable QR mounts.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I have a Baikal, yes it has the double triggers. each one about 15-20 LB. pull. cant find a gunsmith that will touch it.
Would be a lot more usable if you didn't have to use the Vulcan death grip to fire it

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Diablero
Thanks dan_oz....What about scope mount or rings for the Tikka? What will fit and can you get it?

IIRC it has dovetails for ringmounts, standard rimfire size (3/8")

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I have a Baikal, yes it has the double triggers. each one about 15-20 LB. pull. cant find a gunsmith that will touch it.
Would be a lot more usable if you didn't have to use the Vulcan death grip to fire it

I have one, and my gunsmith had no difficulty getting the triggers pulls to under 4 lbs, and crisp. There again he is a real gunsmith.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a much better alternative, IMO. No hammer to fool with and instant barrel selection with the two triggers. I have several of these in different flavors and grades. My Savage 2400 in 12/308 is a beautiful gun, but it's still this gun but with good wood and checkering. I also have one just like this gun in 12/22 Svg HP. They work the same, and barrels are interchangeable; I also have one in 12ga o/u with 28" m & F and 26 " I/C & Mod. All barrels fit all recrivers, but not all forends.

This takes the Sako rings, and original type Sako rings work fine as QD rings.

The vent rib dents take about 30 seconds with a large flat screwdriver to fix, BTW...
https://simpsonltd.com/valmet-330/

Last edited by luv2safari; 02/24/19.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ithaca LSA 55 is the same as the Tikka only imported by Ithaca in the 70's. Hard to beat for quality and performance. I think $600 is low on price now. Most of the ones I see for sale are $800- $1000. Once you get on to the selector and the hammer, it is pretty quick.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Ithaca LSA 55 is the same as the Tikka only imported by Ithaca in the 70's. Hard to beat for quality and performance. I think $600 is low on price now. Most of the ones I see for sale are $800- $1000. Once you get on to the selector and the hammer, it is pretty quick.

The Ithaca LSA 55 and LSA 65 models are magazine fed bolt action rifles. I had one in 25.06 and couldn't find an extra magazine for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by DLSguide

The Ithaca LSA 55 and LSA 65 models are magazine fed bolt action rifles. I had one in 25.06 and couldn't find an extra magazine for it.

the Ithaca lsa-55 turkey gun is the proper name. Ithaca also called their bolt guns lsa-55s as well. great guns, I love mine. leupold 1-4x20 vxII is the perfect turkey gun. im sighted in dead on at 100 yds and the shotgun patterns great at 50yds

Last edited by ilikeguns; 02/28/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.