-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We would travel to the Kenai to fish every seasons for several years mostly for silvers and trout rarely did we keep a fish as we were tossing bunny flys and glow eggs just the occasional kill for the BBQ grill at camp. At the time most days were a 3 salmon kill per day I reported several times guys from the same campgrounds with a dozen or more silvers a day in their coolers NEVER ONCE DID ANYONE CHECK IT OUT and the same guys were there every year. I bow killed a 'bou on a special permit on the airport grounds in Soldotna only to have no less than 6 visits from the bunny cops. The adage "it's not who you know but who you blow" comes to mind.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
I bow killed a 'bou on a special permit on the airport grounds in Soldotna...

When was that?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gosh I got to say around late 1990s early 2000s

Edited to add: There were some monster bulls living there then and I killed a beauty near the radio tower. Saw one of the largest bull moose I ever saw there too standing on the sand road. It was only the second moose I ever saw there the other a cookie bull.

Last edited by 1bigdude; 02/27/19.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
...a forkie bull...Damn sp ck

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gosh I got to say around late 1990s early 2000s

Edited to add: There were some monster bulls living there then and I killed a beauty near the radio tower. Saw one of the largest bull moose I ever saw there too standing on the sand road. It was only the second moose I ever saw there the other a cookie bull.

One of the biggest ever killed was poached there but everyone in the world had pictures of it.

When the poacher took it in to be mounted the taxidermists recognized the bull from fliers ADF&G sent to all taxidermists. He was busted big time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The lowlands herd is stable, but small, and does not have draw permits.

I've not heard of caribou at the Slowdotna airport. Interesting.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes there were not many if memory serves me correct the lottery was for 4 caribou bulls to residents only. I applied 3 years before I got picked and was very lucky. My brother applied every year an never got drawn.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Took a bit of google-fu, but found that herd has been closed since 1993. 1992 had a three bull permits. I didn't move down here until '98 and wasn't familiar.

Any pictures of that 'bou?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good God has it been that long? Hell I am 82 memory must be slipping like the pecker! I got pictures but they are film an must be scanned in.
Are you certain of those dates? I am not questioning you but I am almost certain it was later than '92 more like '96ish or later I went to Tanzania for buffalo in 2004 &2005 and it was well before that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can see now the logic you use. The same logic a convicted felon uses if his conviction is expunged.... "I am not a convicted felon it was expunged"...well the felon seems to forget you must be convicted to be expunged.

There is no logic nor sense in that statement. If there were expungement, it would be to erase the conviction......

The court that convicted me, also freed me.There is no Expungement in Aaska, your either a felon or your not.

I bow killed a 'bou on a special permit on the airport grounds in Soldotna only to have no less than 6 visits from the bunny cops. The adage "it's not who you know but who you blow"

Thats a much different method, albeit a much shorter process than I had with going through years of court...although with 6 consecutive Troopers sorta sounds like bragging or something...., and to each his own in this day and age...

I have no issue with you personally we've never met nor will we likely ever meet, my issues are with those whom use culture as a means of (read that excuse) being able to walk both sides of the aisle using a liberal state's ruling body to their advantage. Remember I was an Alaskan myself for 50 years.

I have my doubts about your 50 years........but who knows......

With all the bigotry, lies, misinformation, BullShit, that you have been posting and repeatedly insinuating that some sort of people have 'Special rights' or set of laws.
The only thing I can think of thats anywhere remotely associated, is Native Alaskans, who actually live on or near the coast, can hunt Sea mammals.
Theres nothing special about that, anyone and everyone could until 1972, when Sea Mammal numbers were very very low. Commercial hunting was stopped world wide.
Russian, Alaska, Canada,Fereo Islands, Iceland,Norway and Greenland restricted hunting to those who needed food and used the products of those hunts to do as they had the day before....if they had a cultural and food association with the Mammals they hunted.
In Alaska, that was 99% Natives.......

An example would be fishing;
Lots of fish and everybody with a rod to a trawler can fish(commercial), when numbers are low, only those who will eat their catch (subsistence) and lower numbers have no one fishing. Same happened for Marine Mammals.

When commercial Hunting was stopped, and the Seas are under Federal laws, they said only those who eat and utilze the sea mammals must also live in the area where they hunt...........which disagrees with the Stats stance that everyone can hunt everywhere for food in the state (subsistence). The State vs Fed is an old battle..........

Losing Hunting rights is like a drunk losing their drivers licenses, just because they can no longer drive, it dosent make those who still can "Special" or skirting any laws....

If you can just show me how anyone or group of people are breaking laws, and getting away with it, Id like to see it....hell, Ive been wondering that for most of this thread.....

Last edited by Caribou; 02/27/19.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Good God has it been that long? Hell I am 82 memory must be slipping like the pecker! I got pictures but they are film an must be scanned in.
Are you certain of those dates? I am not questioning you but I am almost certain it was later than '92 more like '96ish or later I went to Tanzania for buffalo in 2004 &2005 and it was well before that.

Bigs

The KL herd summers in Subunit 15A north of the Kenai airport to the Swanson River and in the
extreme western portion of 15B. The population winters on the lower Moose River to the outlet of
Skilak Lake and in the area around Browns Lake. Its range encompasses around 1,200 km2 in and
around the communities of Soldotna, Kenai, and Sterling. This herd has shown the slowest growth compared to the other Kenai herds. Numbers slowly increased to more than 100 caribou
20 years after the reintroduction in 1966. The herd presently numbers about 100–120
individuals. Growth in this population has been limited by predation rather than by habitat. Free-
ranging domestic dogs and coyotes kill calves in summer and wolves prey on all age classes
during winter. Hunts were held in 1981, 1989, 1990, 1991, and 1992, but no permits have been
issued since.

THIS IS FROM :
Caribou Management Report
of survey-inventory activities
1 July 2008–30 June 2010

By F&G. It's a .pdf and I don't know how to link it from my tablet.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Last evening out of curiosity I dug thru my albums and found a picture of the bull, on the back was a date penned in "fall 2001". As I recall it was right around the year of 2000 or so . I got to believe the date on the picture to be correct but whom knows could be earlier or later by a year or so. No big deal to me anymore hell I think the antlers are still hanging in the restaurant my brother owned prior to his death I gave them to him to display not long after I realized I had no more room in the den for stuff.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Caribou you missed my thoughts entirely on the thread or purposely construed them. It was those whom know how to use the system to take advantage of it in a way it was never meant to be used not law breakers. I.e. run a motorized boat out to kill swimming Caribou then bring them ashore an share meat with non native family members...legal yes but not the intent of the law. Robbing nests of shore birds of eggs then doing the same...only to complain about low bird numbers in the future.
Sorry but I do not buy into "gray areas" .

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Geeeeeeez.........still stuck on Race 1bigdude?? ......My sarcasm continues.

Yours and my white ass's can hunt all the do da day with a boat for Caribou in Unit 23, legally.
How in hell is it legal to shoot Caribou in the head and cleanly butcher them aside the river, and yet that not be the intent of the laws that allow it??
That dont make no sense.
Its about making meat. No wounded, no skinny's, no meat loss, no chase across ankle breaking Tundra, no packing 150lbs back across that same Tundra, no separating cows from calfs, at their fattest with the skin on and protected from sands, dirt,bugs, take the whole family along for the fun and work too........ taken home and hung up, while it freezes at that time of year to be saved and eaten later.

Non Natives can run a motor boat up to and select, shoot, butcher and distribute Caribou all they want. Only GM Unit 23 and 26 allow this anyways, and its legal, practical and efficient. No wounded, no meat loss and a perfect set up to get meats and get them home cleanly.
Hunting like this happens for about 2 weeks each year, in the Fall, and stops when Rut comes along and the waters freeze up. Its what people up here do to get ready for Winter while the ice is thin and darkness starts getting way to long. The meats from that hunt often last untill late Feb/March and with more daylighjt, we hunt again. Thats like 5 months....

ANYONE can pick Gull, duck and Geese Eggs to eat, legally, in areas that allow it. Unit 23 does.

The birds lay again and again, so we pick for 3 days and stop, the birds lay more and all have babies.Seen that a thousand times over. Gut a Spring Goose and she'll have dozens of eggs in the chute, ready to go.
Its leaving eggs behind will ruin things.
Geese dont feed their young and when their eggs all hatch, they move off and forage.
leaving a couple eggs would have the rest of the clutch the bird lays a few days behind the first that hatch, and they would be abandoned. Seagulls will also abandon immature babies.
So take the clutch and let them lay again. Thats what works.
Humans are not the only Egg eating creatures out there, and gathering eggs has been going on for thousands of years.

The shorebird die offs are from a warmer sea and the bait fish they eat are having to swim deeper than normal, deeper than the Birds can dive, essentially starving them, its not climbing the cliffs and picking eggs, or boating to the thousands of nests in our Lagoon alone.

Its a [bleep] of real work is what it is.

You too can do as others do and legally....like these multi racial riverside Falltime Caribou Hunters are

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Caribou; 02/28/19.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Give 'm Hell Chip!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
+1

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Caribou you missed my thoughts entirely on the thread or purposely construed them. It was those whom know how to use the system to take advantage of it in a way it was never meant to be used not law breakers. I.e. run a motorized boat out to kill swimming Caribou then bring them ashore an share meat with non native family members...legal yes but not the intent of the law. Robbing nests of shore birds of eggs then doing the same...only to complain about low bird numbers in the future.
Sorry but I do not buy into "gray areas" .

AK law says it is illegal to shoot any big game from a boat in SE AK. Prince William Sound it is legal to shoot deer from a boat, but not bears. On Kodiak you can shoot any big game from a boat. Most of AK you can shoot big game from a boat.

A friend just sent in a proposal to the board of fish, meeting now, to change a rule to make a particular act legal statewide. They turned it down saying they see no reason to do so because every management act has consequences. Allowing them to manage things differently gives them options and allows people to continue doing as they have been as much as possible.

AK is huge; do Michigan, Florida, and California (and all the States between) manage everything the same way? Why should AK?

Trying to micromanage a system you obviously do not understand is not your best argument choice.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the state wide rule were to adopted today without other rule change,we would land and shoot same day Big Game .Unit 6 Deer.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
How about the solo youngster[Charlie?] on TLA, seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is living a life so many of us dreamed of in our youth.

FJB & FJT
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rusky
+1
Chip add me for x2,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

594 members (06hunter59, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,539
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.