-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got my first .270 around 60 years ago. For many years it was my primary big game gun. Before long I started using 150 gr. Partitions and found they worked well for everything I hunted. Eventually I acquired other calibers just because I wanted to try them out. I have collected more moose with this caliber than any other at ranges out to 300 yards and it has always worked well.
Presently I no longer have one having given my last one to the son of a friend a couple of years ago. While talking to him a couple of nights ago he said he has already taken 4 whitetails with it.
Still have a bunch of .270 bullets sitting on the loading room shelf so who knows, maybe one day I will have another one.

Jim

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
One of my favorite cartridges. Have had one as long as I can remember. I don't hunt anything larger than whitetails but for my experience with the 270 is all good. I will always have at least one in the safe. I don't have a problem if someone else doesn't like it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 270 is only controversial for those that are so ignorant as not to use it.

MM

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Filaman
So boatanchor, I think mathman proved your point:

"nothing wrong with a 270 it's just that in todays climate if it does not say crampmoor on it people think it is too old school to be good."

"mathman said:

"That said, if someone wanted to hunt deer and didn't have/want a 270 already I'd recommend a 6.5 Creedmoor to them."

All jokes aside, mathman, I don't like to trash other people's choice, because it is just that, their choice. I only posted about the .270 Win. Because it is a favorite of mine and I'm new here and want to get a feel for what different people think about the things I like. That's only human nature. I'm sure that if I ever get a 6.5 Creedmoor, knowing me and having a real good idea of what it is, I'll fall in love with it.

Actually only two 6.5s really get my interest. One of course is the ol' Swede, x55. The other would be a 6.5x57 built on a Yugo 24/47 action which unlike most short actions, Rem. 700 and such, is long enough for the longest bullets seated out to the max, being it's on a midsized action.

What mathman actually said:
Originally Posted by mathman
In real, practical terms the 270 is an excellent rifle for deer. That said, if someone wanted to hunt deer and didn't have/want a 270 already I'd recommend a 6.5 Creedmoor to them.

Saying something is excellent would be a strange way of saying it's too old school to be good.

F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Hey dude, I agree with you. I was only having a senior moment with my WEIRD sense of humor. There's lots of great deer rifles. The Creedmoor has to be an excellent choice for deer and hogs. I also think the .260 is a great choice and the differences between it and the Creed are minimal and if you chamber a rifle that has a longer action than a Remington or some of the other short actions it would outdo it. But for those of us that love the 700 SA the Creedmoor gives the edge.

Do you know if there is a 7mm Creed and would it give the same benefit as the 6.5 Creedmoor in a short action?

However having said all this, I still prefer my ratty ol' .270 Win. because I can't argue with success.

Last edited by Filaman; 03/01/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Have had a 270 in my safe for about 40 years. Even though I own and hunt with other calibers, 270 remains a favorite. Also had a 270 Bee built, like that too. Do not own any 6.5's and no burning desire to either. I do not shoot over 500 yards and quite honestly there is just not enough of an advantage under 500 yards to justify one.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am unaware of any controversy surrounding the .270Win other than questions of its sexual preference found here at the 'fire.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I must really be getting old because all this who-struck-John about cartridges is staring to wear on me about like Russian Collusion (apologies to John Haviland).

They all work just fine.

The End.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thank you .270 Winchester. I think I read that a while back but forgot about it. It's a great article and not only points out some good things about the .270, but also some fundamentals to successful hunting no matter th rifle used.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a 270 for about 40 years. For 25 or so of those years, it was my one and only choice as a whitetail cartridge, and it performed perfectly. I began to experiment with other cartridges, and over the years I've developed quite a love affair with short action rifles, and the cartridges designed for them. I've only had a 6.5 CM for a few years, but have gained a lot of respect for it, and find myself hunting with a 243 just as often as not.

With that being said, if I were to draw a Kentucky elk tag, the 270 is the rifle I'll take. If for some reason, I decided to start selling off rifles, the 270 would probably be the last to go. It will do anything I need it to do, and is deer cartridge supreme, taking a back seat to none other. If you are fan of cartridge history and development, the 270 was the original long range cartridge, and is just as good today as it was almost a 100 years ago.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
One of the most controversial cartridges ever is the .270 Winchester.

Rubbish.

Pronounced "bullshit".

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
There's as many .270 proponents here as there are detractors and jokers. I say jokers because on my forum I have lived on for 12 years there are a lot of jokers about the .270. However, there are 4 or 5 true believers that the .270 isn't worth the time, that there is no justification for it, and it should never have been made a legit cartridge by Winchester. But I feel that most of those guys have never even shot one and have no first hand knowledge of it.

As for no justification for it, I will say the reason Winchester went with the .277 diameter rather than the true 7mm is in my opinion, is that it came out when, in 1925, 7 years after WWI. People in the late teens and twenties in this country were strictly anti anything German.

My German ancestors landed right here on Matagorda Bay on the central Texas Coast at the old town of Indianola TX as their point of entry into the US. They, like most German Immigrants wanted to assimilate into the culture and be Americans. However, at home they still spoke in Deutsch and ate their Kraut and Schnitzel.

However, when WWI came about, it suddenly got real unpopular to be anything German in the US. So my family quit speaking German and started blending in even at home. I had an old maid great aunt that I was raised around that would even deny her German heritage and only acknowledge her mother's side of the family which was English. That was in the 50s through the 70s.

So the prevailing mood here around the time the .270 Winchester was conceived was anti German and probably anti anything European. So I doubt that Winchester wanted anything MM referring to their products.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think that Winchester didn't want a bunch of cheapskates re-chambering various 7mm Mausers, especially 93s and 95s, thus killing their market and maybe blowing themselves up occasionally as well.

Germany, as you may recall, used 7.9x57 rifles. Never heard anyone call,the 7x57 the 7x57 German Mauser.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/01/19.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
You think not? Go to the G&A Forums and start raving about the virtues of the .270 Winchester. You'll get laughed out of the room! Even right here there's a few. But there and a few more forums and you'll find that it's a majority.

F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
You're right about that. It was probably a combination of those two. That would have been dangerous for sure, chambering a high pressure cartridge, equal to the .270 Win. which is a 65,000 PSI rated cartridge, in one of the weaker older Mausers. About 35 years later Remington brought out the .280 and thought about another potential and an even more likely scenario of chambering a true 7mm in a .270 Winchester and got around it by increasing the length of the case from the base of the cartridge to the shoulder .050 longer so it couldn't be chambered and the bolt closed in a .270 Winchester.,,

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You think not? Go to the G&A Forums and start raving about the virtues of the .270 Winchester. You'll get laughed out of the room! Even right here there's a few. But there and a few more forums and you'll find that it's a majority.

Good...go there and join them you halfwit.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I started hunting big game in Montana in the late 1960's, when just about every elk hunter firmly believed the .30-06 with 180's was the absolute minimum. This was due to, of course, cup-and-core bullets. Nosler Partitions (the only "premium" back then) weren't available in factory ammunition, except Weatherby ammo.

Started handloading Nosler Partitions in the mid-1970's, and Barnes X's around 1990. Neither my wife Eileen or I ever had any trouble killing big game larger than deer with the .270 using either. In fact, in 1989 Eileen drew a bull moose tag here in Montana. We found the bull she wanted on opening morning, quartering away at around 125 yards. She aimed at the far shoulder and pulled the trigger. The bull too a step and a half an folded, dead, still the quickest kill I've seen on ay moose with a pure lung shot. The bullet ended up just ahead of the joint of the far shoulder, under the hide, at least 30" of penetration.

Have killed, and seen killed a bunch of other big game taken with the .270. It works very well, any in my opinion anybody who still thinks the .270 ain't enough for game larger than deer is....well, I won't say it.

i've had a few and i'm always on the look out for another one. i know we give the old cartridge a bad time, but we like to tease some old fart that likes leopard undies's, by the way where is that famous guy!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mooshoo

i've had a few and i'm always on the look out for another one. i know we give the old cartridge a bad time, but we like to tease some old fart that likes leopard undies's, by the way where is that famous guy!

Where ever Ingwe is you can bet that he is doing it in style.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use a .30-06 mostly, but also use .270 Win. sometimes. If a .30-06 wasn't available my next choice would be .270 Win. The next would most likely be .308 Win. If it is .277 through .308 caliber and accurately achieves 2800+ fps without punishing recoil it is good enough for me. I have shot magnums and don't see the need, but then I don't go to Africa and don't often take a shot over 350-400 yds. Most are closer, as is probably the case with the huge majority of hunters.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
At the time Winchester brought out the .270 in their Model 70 it was the Creedmoor of the day. It was designed from the start as a hunting cartridge though, not a competition cartridge. Most people who wanted something to hunt with used the 30-06 and it did a decent job. you could get decent factory loads for it and if you handloaded you could do better. As time went on better bullets came out. It was the favorite whipping boy for the Elmer Keith crowd. It seemed like there was a huge following of the "big bore boys" that had a field day bitching about it. It's the same today and you can add the Creedmoor to it. It seems like people just can't resist the opportunity to defame anything they don't use.

I have had quite a few .270's in different actions and have hunted and handloaded for it for quite a few years. It has done well and I have no complaints about it. I use other chamberings as well because I pretty much like them all.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,822
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.