Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What is the best bang for the buck out there right now. All of the cheap airguns I have had were not very accurate. I want something accurate that is powerful enough to damage rodents at 50+ yards. Does this animal exist? It seems a year ago I was reading about a "Diana" something or other that sounded pretty good? I can't remember the model though. Thanks in advance.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nobody?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You'll hafta narrow your wants down a bit. IMO, the best bang for the buck is a quality piece, for the most part, you get what you pay for. If you're open to PCPs, I can recommend the .25 cal Benjamin Marauder. Quiet, easy to shoot and very deadly at 50 yards plus. For PCPs, you will need an air source in addition to the rifle which adds to the cost. In a springer, I'm partial to the Weihrauch/HW/Beeman line of rifles. They come in several variations of caliber and power levels, keep in mind however, with spring guns the higher power models are more difficult to master.

This is what my Marauder will do at about 80 yards on paper and varmints
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Tmitch

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Here is my experience as a cheapskate airgun addict:

.25 Umarex Gauntlet regulated PCP ~$250 on sale or refurbished. Shoots same hole at 35 yds and <1in at 50yds with many different pellets, including 31gr Grizzly slugs. Plenty of power for game/pests <50lbs <50 yds, and would definitely kill medium game at close range or smaller pests even beyond 75yds. It's big and it's ugly, the trigger is not great, and in .25 it's a little loud, but WAY quieter than a .22 short and most other air guns. 25 cal pellets are harder to come by and cost almost as much as .22LR. Add 50 bucks for an ebay hand pump or hundreds for a tank or compressor. This is my current go-to garden defense weapon when shooting beyond 10yds (it's a bit difficult for CQB due to its length and big scope).

.22 Marauder unregulated PCP ~$350 used or on sale. Shoots same hole at 35yds and <1in at 50yds with cheapest Crosman pellets and anything else except the heaviest slugs. Plenty of power for game/pests <30lbs <35 yds, and enough for most small critters out to 50+. It's a nice looking, well-made gun with an AWESOME trigger, but it's a bit heavy and it's unregulated (a regulated version is available for a significant upcharge). It's the quietest shooting gun with adequate hunting power that I've ever heard. 22 cal pellets are available EVERYWHERE for cheap. Add 50 bucks for a hand pump or hundreds for a tank or compressor. I wanted to keep mine, but it leaked, and when I returned it to the retailer, they were out of stock and I ended up with the Gauntlet.
a
.22 Gamo whisper nitro-piston break barrel ~$125 used or on sale. Take the scope off and shoot irons and the floppy barrel is not a problem for <1in groups at 35-50yds. I get about 700fps with Crosman Premier 14.3gr, which it shoots well and is enough power for most pests within iron sight range. It's big and has lots of plastic, but reasonably quiet and has a decent trigger. This is my go-to barn gun due to fast reloading and never out of air. The lack of ability to shoot accurately with optics (mounted on receiver - no repeat alignment with floppy barrel) sent me down the PCP black hole. I don't expect to hand this gun down to my kids due to the excessive use of plastic and soft metal in critical areas.

.20 Sheridan Blue Streak multi-pump. Prices are all over the place on these - don't be surprised to find one for 20 bucks at a garage sale, or spend $250 for a mint vintage one on eBay, and everything in between. Accuracy and power are adequate out to 35yds, but that is about the limit except for smaller/lighter targets like starlings, which become a challenge to hit consistently past 35yds. This one has been in the corner by the back door for 35 years and killed more game by gross weight than all of my firearms combined. It's a bit loud at full power, but the multi-pump feature makes it excellent for close quarters battles with mice in the basement, garage, or other enclosed area that you don't want to put a hole in. 20 cal pellets are harder to find, and it really only shoots the sheridan cylindricals well. Get one from the 70s-80s and it's an heirloom gun, but maybe the new ones are OK too, I just haven't seen one.

.177 Crosman 760 1970s era multi-pump. Don't laugh, because at 12 years old I could consistently take starlings at 50 paces of my 12-year old legs, albeit with feet of Kentucky windage. This really isn't a serious 50yd gun, or even 35yd, but it will teach a kid to stalk and be patient for the right shot. Get a 70s vintage, solid steel, rifled barrel model for <$50 and replace the seals, then test your skills. As a multi-pump, it's good for indoor pest control, and that little pump is easy to manage even for skinny little arms. .177 pellets and BBs are basically free, even for a kid with a paper route.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Yeah...Well... good advice that many don't/won't follow because of the cost and is constantly replied to in the same question asked time and time again...you want accuracy/power you have to PAY for it just like in powder guns or fast cars...with the exception of the Gauntlet...AND you most likely need a PCP rifle as it is hard work learning HOW to shoot a springer.

Been shooting airguns a VERY long time...20 cal Blue Streak for 50 odd years(or more) and many other .177 and 22 cal TOYS. Started back a few years ago getting serious...tried MANY variations...ended up with a 22 Gauntlet who'es accuracy just blew me away...mods included many of Hajimoto's offerings and a new .38L air tank AND GOOD SCOPE, then a 25 Daystate Air Wolf that was even MORE accurate(better scope also)...now I'm looking at a "cheap" .177 Gauntlet just to use up all the hundreds of .177 pellets I bought trying to get one that would shoot in my Octane and not wear out my 78 year old worn out, weak arm any more.

My advice is to SPEND THE MONEY for a HIGH QUALITY, (relatively)HIGH PRICED PCP, used or new whatever your pocketbook can handle, or just buy a 25 cal Gauntlet and buy a compressor at the same time, THEN start thinking about the extra air tanks I don't think you really need. Best bet is to buy a rifle with a 400-500 ci tank to begin with and you don't have to futz around adding on an aftermarket one...AND get a REGULATED rifle to boot.

After shooting 4 different cals, I wouldn't bother with the .177...the high velo sounds far out but it drops off very quickly and the "high velo pop/pow" breaking the sound barrier just really scares away the game. The 22 and 25 cals are very close together in velo, energy and usability, but I like heavier pellets and the seem to shoot better at the higher PCP velos, PLUS kill better...ALL ARGUABLE...decide for yourself. Wish the Gauntlet would come out in 20 ca...I really LIKED my 20 Sheridan...and it was the perfect compromise between .177 and .22.

You really want advice...go to an Airgun forum or the airgun purveyors...they have good advice and vids...it all boils down to what many have as favorites or what they want...HIGHLY BIASED as you can imagine. I would like a RAW but I'm a "CHEAP OL' BAWSTID" so I almost had apoplexy buying the Daystate...a $300 Gauntlet does the same thing at almost the same accuracy and work just as well...not happy with all the plastic sh** and a wood stocked rifle is just the thing, but you can't have everything and eat your cake also.

The Kral and Hatsans are also a good buy at twice the price of the Gauntlet but at least they have wood stocks on offering.

ALL air guns, just like ALL other man-made things can have problems initially and do break down after a while, but once corrected they usually last. I had my Sheridan's chains rebuilt several times over the years and have replaced chamber "o" rings several times in my other springers. Goes with the territory so expect it. Get a NP springer as they have characteristics much better than to "old style" compressed piston things.

I will probably order the .177 Gauntlet some time this month(maybe) and would like a .25 cal but having duplicates in calibers just go against my Scot/Irish blood...hahahahahah... and that's one reason I haven't ordered the .177 G yet...my .177 Octane shoots very well when I keep it inside 35-40 yds with JSB pellets and my 25 cal Daystate...well, what can I say that hasn't been said already....

Good Luck in your search.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've used .177's and .22's for years, and gotten good service out of them. Great for "yard pests"!. Recently saw a sale on Midway for a .30 caliber Hatsan, and the size of the caliber interested me. The gun turned out to be nice - wood stock, adjustable cheek piece, good scope base - and came with the "plate" that helps with "springer recoil". The little I've been able to shoot it so far has been impressive. My measured velocity with 44.75 gr pellets has been averaging around 550 fps - pretty much what the manufacturer claims for the gun. It is a little loud, but still quieter than a firearm. Should do well on larger pests, like 'coons, and I'd take a shot at a coyote if it was close enough to hit. I mounted an Optima airgun scope, and it seems to be doing OK. Groups are pretty tight, just working on getting them where I want them. I'm really looking forward to thoroughly trying this one out on game and varmints!

I'm shopping for a PCP now, but the break barrel is easy - and I think this is about the "strongest" break barrel commonly offered.

Mike Holmes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like simple spring guns myself. Not exactly cheap for a good one, but the good ones will last a couple lifetimes. Beeman R9 is what I prefer. .22cal is better for hunting larger critters. I have killed hundreds of rock chucks with mine at ranges from 10 yards to 70+. I much prefer a shot of around 40 yards to the noggin, but chest hits will take them out.
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think it was called the Diana Storm rider or the Benjamin Maximus?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Beeman R-9 in .20 or .22
RWS .48 .22
RWS 54 .22
BSA Lightning GRT .22
All very accurate, the 48 and 54 in .177 will shoot heavy pellets for hunting and have excellent accuracy out to 60 yds or farther, but they are fairly heavy when scoped.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
50 yards is a long way for a rat. Settle for twenty, a lesser bang for fewer bucks.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Nobody?

just sold a scoped RWS here

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
What are the thoughts on a Diana 34 with the T06 trigger? Good bad or ugly?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
MOD 34 is a nice air rifle for the money, very accurate..if you want to shoot long distance Id opt for a a RWS 54 .177 in a springer, have killed starlings 80 yds with mine..used to do pest control for a farmer in his barn lots and killed some at ridiculous distances.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
FWB 124 .177cal will shoot around 800fps and will shoot better than most people can hold the gun.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Drop your cash on an Air Arms TX 200.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Thanks for the info everyone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cry once and no regrets with a TX 200 from Air Arms.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I think it was called the Diana Storm rider or the Benjamin Maximus?

I just bought a Diana Stormrider 177 refurb from Pyramid... New by all appearances. Wood stock, good ergos,. Had them test it. I bought two pumps but have done nothing with it. Got some things going on that I should have put funds toward instead, per usual... If you decide to go that route, I'd be your huckleberry. I was specifically looking for a repeater so I went PCP.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
MTN send me a PM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.