Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've got a couple of these scopes, the ones assembled in the USA and to my eye they have very good optics and seem to be reliable, yet are often seen for sale. What are folk's opinion of them?

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by handwerk
What are folk's opinion of them?

Far and away the best value for the dollar during the 2000's. And I'm not sure I'd dispute that, even in today's market.

That's my opinion, anyway.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I sold every leupold vx3 i had at one point and put on 3x9 conquests. Then the vx6 closeout happened. You could get a 2-12 for 600.00, so I replaced most of my conquests. As mentioned above, until the leupold closeout, the conquest was an absolute steal, and still is for the 275-300 that they typically sell for. To answer your question, o think people are just going to higher magnification range scopes. Or in my case, illuminated.

Last edited by warpig602; 01/30/19.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had a couple 3-9's and a 3.5-10. They are very clear and seem tough, POI never changed significantly on any of mine. A couple things I didn't care for - the eye relief or eye box is not as generous as some other scopes in the same price range, and they are also 4-6 oz heavier.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a couple of these scopes, the ones assembled in the USA and to my eye they have very good optics and seem to be reliable, yet are often seen for sale. What are folk's opinion of them?

These were made for Zeiss by Meopta and essentially are Meopta Meopro scopes

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Ive seen that...but does the Meopro scope have the same coatings as the zeiss?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by warpig602
I sold every leupold vx3 i had at one point and put on 3x9 conquests. Then the vx6 closeout happened. You could get a 2-12 for 600.00, so I replaced most of my conquests. As mentioned above, until the leupold closeout, the conquest was an absolute steal, and still is for the 275-300 that they typically sell for. To answer your question, o think people are just going to higher magnification range scopes. Or in my case, illuminated.

So do you feel the VX6 are twice the scope? Read the reticle is a disappointment...much thinner than a true duplex.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burbank

To the best of my knowledge yes

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Burbank

To the best of my knowledge yes

Interesting. I thought the MC coating was proprietary.
Makes you wonder how many of these scopes are virtually identical.

Last edited by Burbank; 01/30/19.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
AR coatings are something of a specialty for Meopta, so whatever coatings are on the MeoPro, they are quite good, easily on par with anything Zeiss can do in the same price range. Meopta's higher end coatings are likely on par with anything anyone else can do at any price. They do that for a lot of other makers.

ILya

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

good to know

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 65BR

So do you feel the VX6 are twice the scope? Read the reticle is a disappointment...much thinner than a true duplex.

Actually, the reticle is heavier in this scope -- the original VX-6 -- than other Leupold duplex offerings. But in the VX-5HD, they went to a wide, thin duplex. I asked Leupold about the reticle in the VX-5HD when it first came out as I wanted to make certain it was the same as the VX-6. I was told not once but TWICE that they were indeed the same reticle. But they aren't even close.

Leupold uses the "good" VX-6 duplex in the VX-R lineup.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Far and away the best value for the dollar during the 2000's. And I'm not sure I'd dispute that, even in today's market.

FC

+1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have several and I think they are quite good and worth the $300 you can get them for used.

Be advised that if they go bad and you send them back, you get a Terra.
(unless you want to upgrade and pay $600)

BTW Zeiss customer service was top notch at least in my case, and the
Terra is not bad but to my eyes not quite as good as the older Conquests.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

FC

+1

Agree.

I bought several when they were being closed out at around $285 or so. No way to take that money and buy that much quality today. The glass is great, the duplex about perfect IMO.

They're not overly heavy and are tough. I've never had an issue, never had to send one back, have heard Zeiss CS is super. No testimony from me, just hearsay.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Originally Posted by 65BR

Actually, the reticle is heavier in this scope -- the original VX-6 -- than other Leupold duplex offerings. But in the VX-5HD, they went to a wide, thin duplex. I asked Leupold about the reticle in the VX-5HD when it first came out as I wanted to make certain it was the same as the VX-6. I was told not once but TWICE that they were indeed the same reticle. But they aren't even close.

Leupold uses the "good" VX-6 duplex in the VX-R lineup.

Absolutely.

The VX-6 duplex is about ideal, one of the best, including most Alpha Euros, IMO.

The Conquest duplex is very close to the VX-6 duplex. Those two are my favorite. To me they are better than the VX-2 or VX-3 duplex. Never handled a VX-5.

DF

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I bought several when they were getting closed out in the $300 range. Its funny that they are now considered old.... because mine are on guns I seldom use and I am still looking forward to using them. I need to move them around and get some of my best glass on the guns that I use the most. I have one rifle scoped up with a zeiss Conquest that I have used a few times in the field and I loved it. There was an obvious difference over the other scopes in the group in the early morning minutes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great scopes, I have had many and still have one. For the money at the time to me about as good as it got. The only scope of that time frame that I thought compared well was the older Nikon Monarch 3X9X40 still have one of those as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Bobby and DF.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There is one thing about the Conquest 3-9, is that it is long enough to mount on a LA rifle, and that helps for
comfortable eye relief. That is why I like it, and the optics are very good.

Some scopes are just too short for good mounting on a LA, and that is very important.

This will always be a nice value in this price range.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.