Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'm looking to scope a NULA 30-06 with a light weight tweener. I can buy both of the above for about the same price. I was going to get the Leupy but saw the SWFA and it has impressive Spec's. Better FOV, lighter weight and greater magnification range. The Leupy has better eye relief. Anyone have experience with these scopes?

Lee F.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid"

-John Wayne

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you've seen the eye relief specs on that SS scope you'll mark it off the list pronto, especially on a lightweight kicker.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have both, and the swfa would not go on a nula in 30/06 for the reason above.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
As much as I like the SS Ultralight, I would be hesitant to put it on a kicker. It is durable enough, but eye relief is a bit short.

Leupold 2.5-8x36 is a good option. I would also look at Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32. You can pick one up for about $500 right now and while it is a little bit more money, it is a very nice scope.

ILya

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I was looking at Vortex but they seem to be getting a lot of bad reviews on the Campfire lately.

Lee F.

-John Wayne

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by AdkHunter
I was looking at Vortex but they seem to be getting a lot of bad reviews on the Campfire lately.

Razor HD LH?

Where?

ILya

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

Last edited by AdkHunter; 02/25/19.

Lee F.

-John Wayne

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
On that gun go with the leupy, or the vortex razor 1.5-8x32. It's one vortex you shouldn't have to worry about.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That VX3i is a good scope and for $318 price match on Bud’s you just can’t go wrong

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 02/25/19.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Vortex makes a broad range of products manufactured by different OEMs. And they are by far the largest company in the sportoptics world right now. Given how much product they ship, there are bound to be people who have issues with some of them and take it personally. They are usually the ones who yell much louder than satisfied customers.

I would not get the Crossfire or Strike Eagle. Diamondback is quite decent. PST Gen 2 has exceeded my expectations, so far (especially the 3-15x44). PST Gen 1 and HST I was mostly not that crazy about (a couple of models excepted). Razors of all flavors have been uniformly good.

ILya

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by koshkin

Vortex makes a broad range of products manufactured by different OEMs. And they are by far the largest company in the sportoptics world right now. Given how much product they ship, there are bound to be people who have issues with some of them and take it personally. They are usually the ones who yell much louder than satisfied customers.

I would not get the Crossfire or Strike Eagle. Diamondback is quite decent. PST Gen 2 has exceeded my expectations, so far (especially the 3-15x44). PST Gen 1 and HST I was mostly not that crazy about (a couple of models excepted). Razors of all flavors have been uniformly good.

ILya

All you have to do is PM Formid about all of those Vortex scopes and see what he has to say. Your definition of good may not necessarily be his. Not slammin' your rec, but his carries lots of weight around here, for numerous reasons.

I've never used a Razor rifle scope, but I had hunters in camp for almost 15 years before we quit guiding. I never saw the first Vortex anything enter camp. There's always something as good or better for equal or less money.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There are haters for every brand but I figure you can’t stay in business since 1906 by selling only snake oil. Hell, I think only Bayer aspirin has been around longer.

[Linked Image]

Nikon was founded 1917 and Miroku Winchester is even made in Japan and is good stuff

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 02/25/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a Leupold 2.5-8x36 and the Duplex reticle as a "set & forget" scope for over 20 years on a .338 Winny and put it on a 338-06 for my grandson, very fond of that old scope. My current version is the VX3i model with a Duplex and CDS turret that I have yet to send in for. If I had it to do over it would of came with the B&C reticle. Mine is on a little Husky 30-06 1640 version and the bare rifle is well under 7 pounds, so the scope matches up perfectly with the rifle.

Weight, eye relief and ability to transmit light are very good.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I vote Leupold but I'm prejudice. Eye relief Trumps all that other. The VX-3i is Clear and Bright and it's very light.

Also, Leupold has a great lifetime warranty.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have 3-9 Leupold ultralight VX two on 7 stw in a rem 700 BDLM that weighs right at eight pounds never had problem with eye relieve or holding zero best scope made no thrills just plan works

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I have both, and the swfa would not go on a nula in 30/06 for the reason above.

Same here.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have a VX-3i 2.5-8x36 on my 308win Browning AB3. I use low integral Talley rings for mounting. I notice that eye relief is significantly less at high magnification than low magnification, but it still worked great for me after I trimmed my stock to fit my body well. I have about 560 rounds thru this weapon after about a year of use, and never had any problem obtaining and holding zero. I never have any eye strain looking thru that scope, it works well in twilight conditions, and I think it has great field of view for a 1-inch diameter scope tube. If I had to do it all over again, I might choose a more expensive 30mm scope like Leupold VX-5, but what I have works well. Good luck to you with whatever you choose!

Last edited by Frankk; 02/27/19.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks everyone. I,m still weighing my options but leaning toward the Leupy. I just wish it had a little more FOV on the bottom end for the thick northern woods where I live.

Lee F.

-John Wayne

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks everyone. I,m still weighing my options but leaning toward the Leupy. I just wish it had a little more FOV on the bottom end for the thick northern woods where I live.

I use one in this, no problem.

[Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not either scope you mentioned, but close to the Leupold 2.5 x 8....

In my MN days, I use to hunt the north woods of both MN and Wisconsin,
both heavy woods and thick cover in swamps with a Leupold 2 x 7 Shotgun scope on top
of an 06.....

I use to leave it on the 2 power, and I was never handicapped with lack of Field of View
and those heavy shot gun cross hairs sure never handicapped you at all either....

Took several deer shooting across a swamp, at 250 yd range with the scope on 2x, and was
not handicapped on those shots either with that low of a power...

After seeing the FOV in my 2 x 7, I had friends that still had to have the 2.5 x 8, Vari X 3.. I think if
nothing else as a status symbol over the Vx 2....but they ordered or had the reticles changed to the
heavy duplex of the shotgun scope.....

Those 1.5 x 5 with the fire dot, I've seen some amazing shots taken with one of those by one of our
campfire members at a campfire gathering....no FOV issues that at all....put that dot on your target and pull
the trigger....

upper end magnification is over rated from what I've seen guys with low power scopes do...

yet this from a guy who has 4 x 16 scopes on several rifles.... yet for deer hunting, most whatever
rifle I use or what ever scope is on top.... it seems to live most of its life on 3 or 4 power...5X when I need to see something way out there...

just passing on some field observations of mine at least.. that's worth what ya paid for it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,621
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.