24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
back in the early 1970's, Burt Reynolds used to come to our then-sleepy little town of about 9K with one of this best friends, local-boy-done-good Bo Hopkins. I was about 10 the last time he came, but he was a very down to earth guy, and alot of fun. Loved the kids, he would throw us footballs.

Speaking of Football, one of my good buddy's dad was a childhood friend of Fran Tarkenton. When I was like 8, we went to a Birthday Party and Fran was there, and gave all the kids little footballs, & personally autographed each one.

Last up would be Gaston Glock. I worked for a gunshop, then one of only 2 Glock dealers in the state (late 80's) and when the SCHP adopted the Glock, I went to Atlanta and to a dinner Which Herr Glock attended and spoke, then stood in a line and like me and 200+ of his newest friends got to shake his hand. Seemed OK. A bit like meeting a politician though.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I met Wolfman Jack at a MLB game. Asked for his autograph. He said, "You don't want mine, you want his!" He then introduced me to Chet Atkins. A day I will never forget.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sbrmike
OK I am retired US Army so I did my share of traveling and bumping into celebs. A few of note and some were not military caused.

1973 sitting on the beach at Virginia Beach and some real freaky, grungy guys sit down on a blanket and play an X-rated version of Silvia's Mother. The next day the newspaper ran a story that Dr Hook played a pvt concert on the beach last night.

1976 Again Virginia Beach, I got a 58 day drop from Germany and went to visit my mother. We bought a 6-pack of Coors beer (Coors was not an east coast beer at that time) at a 7-11 for an ungodly price; probably could have bought two cases of Bud for that money. We were almost to my mother's and a tour bus parked at the motel near my mother's apartment, ZZ-Top! The first person off of the bus was a girl I knew from Pennsylvania, who was touring (groupie) with the band since they played in PA. Billy Gibbons got off and I offered him a Coors and he was delighted to have a Coors on the east coast. He said you have Coors? Come on up to the room with us.

1980 the current Chairman of the JCS, GEN Joe Dunford was my classmate in Ranger School. "Strike Hard Strike Fast Winter Rangers Freeze their Ass"

1986 met Brooke Shields outside of Rick's Lounge on Hay Street in Fayetteville, NC; man she is tall! She was at Pope AFB with Bob Hope for: "Hope at Pope, 40th Birthday of the Air Force" and wanted to check out a rowdy bar that G.I.'s frequented. She picked a friend of mine to ride her around the block on his Harley; gees I don't know why she didn't pick me as I was right there too!

1986 or 1987 I met Shifty Powers at the 101st Abn Div Reunion in Clarksville, TN. I was in the 82d and they took all former members of the 101st to Ft Campbell on 2 WV NG C-130 and we parachuted in on main post specifically for the WWII vets. Back then I did not know who Shifty Powers was, other than a WWII Paratrooper, which made him a hero in my book for that alone! He was so excited talking about watching us jump in. RIP brother!

2000 NRA Convention Philadelphia, I was in an elevator with Joe Foss, MOH Recipient, Marine WWII Ace, fmr Gov South Dakota, Host of The American Sportsman, and former NRA President. I just waved and acknowledge him respectfully, but he struck up a long conversation with me that continued all the way from the convention center to the hotel. A truly genuine hero and gentleman.

2002 I think? NRA Convention Charlotte. I ran into Peter Jennings nearly everyday. We were staying at the same hotel and apparently on the exact same schedule! We ate breakfast same time; same place. Walked to the Convention Site same route; same time. I acknowldged with a wave and greeting. Finally he had me eat lunch with him. I asked him straight up if he was a gun guy or just covering the convention. He said he was pro-gun but with some limits and that he was really just there not really covering the convention; there was no entourage and he wasn't constantly taking notes. RIP

Plenty more but we will save them for another day.

Here is a neat link. The very last page has my friend with Brooke Shields and also has a pick of a former girlfriend, Sue Clark. http://www.cba-abatenc.org/history-of-cbaabate.html

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I just got off the phone with Steve Hornady, he wanted some advice on a new bullet design for the 6.5 Creedmoor...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I was at a bachelor party in a strip club in Denver and shared stage side seats with Robbie Knievel and his lead mechanic. It was generally a good time, but he can be kind of a jerk. Spent about an hour a few years later with Robbie again at the Full Throttle Saloon in Sturgis during the rally. The year after that, Robbie Knievel again, with Peter Fonda and Paul Mitchell in the little roadside bar in a town called Spotted Horse, North of Gillette. They were on the way to the Sturgis Rally again, which for a while was an annual event for them.

Maybe Robbie was following me around?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Scott Glenn scowled at me while walking in LAX.

ROFL, are you sure it wasn't a smile?
laugh

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Carol Conners the Nurse in the Film Deep Throat, was my Baby sitter, when I was a little kid, was buddies with her younger Brothers!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Leonard Nimoy, Doug McClure, Hank Williams Jr. at a gun show.

Also met Randy Weaver at a gun show. I don't know if he qualifies as a celebrity. But he seemed to be a very good guy. People kept coming up to talk to him and he'd just stand there with everybody laughing and talking like anybody else. He struck me as a very social kind of person who enjoys the company of people.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pretty interesting stuff.

Shook hands with President Gerald Ford and have pheasant hunted once with Brandon Scherf, current Wash Redskins tackle. He is originally from Iowa and married a young lady very near where I live. Seemed a nice guy and an avid hunter.

Also, though as about as uncelebrity as he can be, have hunted often and fished once through the years with Vern Den Herder defensive end of the 70-80’s Miami Dolphins. He of I don’t know how many Super Bowl rings. We grew up about fifteen miles from each other and played against each other in high school.

Yep, met and had dinner with Shrapnel in Livingston, Mt. 🙂

DD, tell us more about Dino buying that drink....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve told this story before.

In 1979, I sat down at my favorite bar and ordered the usual.
An old timer sits down beside me and we start talking.
He has some incredible WW2 fighter pilot stories.
After a while, I realize this guy is either a famous WW2 ace, or a world class lier.
He gets up to take a leak, and I ask the waitress (a friend of mine), “do you know this guy ?”

"Yes, she says, that’s Pappy Boyington, he flew planes in WW2."

When he came back I paid for his next drink, and sat there for hours listing to him.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Anaconda
I’ve told this story before.

In 1979, I sat down at my favorite bar and ordered the usual.
An old timer sits down beside me and we start talking.
He has some incredible WW2 fighter pilot stories.
After a while, I realize this guy is either a famous WW2 ace, or a world class lier.
He gets up to take a leak, and I ask the waitress (a friend of mine), “do you know this guy ?”

"Yes, she says, that’s Pappy Boyington, he flew planes in WW2."

When he came back I paid for his next drink, and sat there for hours listing to him.

Wow! That's the best!

I'm pretty sure I've never had an accidental encounter with anybody famous. Living a the end of the pipeline doesn't make chance encounters too common.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Met Bart Starr and Don Maynard (Jets receiver) back in the late 60s. Also met Lee Trevino in the pro shop at Horizon Hills Country Club about 1970.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I set next to Minnie Pearl on a flight from Atlanta to Fort Myers FL. I want to say it was in 1986 or there abouts. Pretty normal person. She interduced herself as Sara. I never mentioned or talked about her celeb staus and she never did either. I think she appreciated the break from all that. She thanked me for the conversation when she stood up to get off the plane. She got swamped as soon as she got off the plane. As I walked passed her I nodded and shook my head and she smiled and winked at me.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm just not any good at recognizing people (celebs). I wouldn't know sara cannon unless had that granny dress and hat on.

I went to a cigar shop in nashville bout 7 years ago. Middle of the day. Only one other dude on the couch smoking. I sat across and kicked back, lit up. He asked me if I was ok was ESPN. I told him sure man idgaf lol. Talked to him for 30 mins.

I was backing out, his Lexus had EDKING on the license plate. (Lynyrd Skynrd)

👍😄

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When I was traveling a lot for business, I often got bumped to first class. One morning I took my seat on a flight from Houston to LA. No one was in the seat next to me until the door was about to be closed and then in walked Jaclyn Smith (Charlies Angels). She was very cordial and talked quite a bit on the flight to LA.

In about 1970 when parts of the movie The Cowboys was being filmed in southern Colorado. I and a friend were in the old Spring Inn in Pagosa Springs. John Wayne had been in town for several weeks and he was seated waiting on his meal to be served. He instigated a conversation and when his steak came out, he invited us to join him with a glass of scotch. The steak looked like a lump of charcoal but he seemed to enjoy it, and he was very interesting to talk with. I saw him again a few days later and he even remembered my name. He was a pretty impressive man even without a camera in front of him.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I met Johnny Clegg and his band in Johannesburg in 1993. I met his wife and she gave me and all of my friends front row tickets to his concert. We then hung out with them for a while afterwards.

My company also used to sponsor a nascar so I used to hang out with the driver, Justin Allgier at trade shows.

I also had a friend that played in the MBA, Mark Madsen. When I was in grad school in Utah he would fly in from Minnesota and come get me to go to parties with him. He wanted to meet women and said he liked me as a wing man because i didn't give a crap about basket ball and treated him like I would anyone else. He's an assistant coach for the Lakers now.

I've seen other celebrities around but I usually just leave them alone. I used to get mistaken for Glenn Beck a lot back when he was on fox. It made me glad I wasn't a celebrity. I met Glenn around then too. Most think he's crazy but he was incredibly genuine and down to earth. Another time, I was at the private air terminal in Idaho Falls waiting for some business associates to pic me up in a private jet so we could go fishing in Montana and several people there mistook me for Glenn. His daughter was going to BYU Idaho at the time so he used that terminal a lot.

I'm also supposed to go hunt pigs on Ty Detmers ranch in Texas. He's a friend of a friend. He gave me his cell number and we were trying to put it together but an unexpected death in my family blew the last plans we had. I hope to try again soon.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Al Gore pulled on my arm back in 88.

Don't you mean Al,Gore assaulted you? Given the standards that seem to be in place today an unsolicited tug would be an assault.

Last edited by Armednfree; 03/02/19.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
metoo !!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Jim Otto. Class act old timer.

I have Run in to numerous pro athletes .

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Watched the youngest boy from home improvement bust tree ornaments at Boreals hotel.
Little [bleep]. Lol

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
368 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.