Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I am considering getting a Boykin Spaniel and was wondering if anyone around here has owned one? Opinions of the breed? Temperament? We don't have any small children but do have a 7 year old miniature Dachshund. I have heard they et along well with other dogs. She will be taken on duck and dove trips. I prefer to have a female but are there any advantages to getting a male instead?

Thanks, Ronnie

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ronnie, Ranch manager where I hunt got one about 4 months ago. It can already track a 4 month old deer leg as far as you care to take it in the woods, brush, etc... Tracking is the major reason it was bought. No doubt it will do very well at that, as there are 6 1/2 months more to train and he is already do so very well. He was taken quail hunting with a pointer a few weeks back and did exceptionally well at flushing and recovery, even in very tall/thick native grasses. Only lasted about 1 1/2 hour but again, only 4 months old. Need to work on his mouth some as he is a little tough on the birds. Great around people and a couple of cattle dogs the manager has. Has an amazing personality and is always a joy to be around. Great looking dog too. With my limited exposure, I would give the breed a big thumbs up!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Boykins are great hunters and even better companions. They will really get close to you. Mine got along great with people, other dogs, and even cats. The only thing stronger than her hunting drive was her desire to be with her family. I couldn’t recommend one more. Only problem with a Boykin is losing one. It will darn near kill the whole family. I’d get a neoprene vest for your Boykin in the event that you hunt it in severely cold weather. At least that’s what I did.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I am in Florida so it is not too cold very often.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bump to clear spam off of the homepage

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Found a breeder in southern Georgia that is about 2 hours away from me. Expensive little buggers aren’t they. I have spent $300 to $500 before on Labs, A Soringer Spaniel and a Miniature Dachshund but never over $1000 but I really want a Boykin so I guess that is what I will pay.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
$1000 for a pup is the base line for a pup of proven bloodlines. For a less common breed like a Boykin, that is kind of low. I've paid that for my last two English Setters and the one is turning 13 this year.

A Boykin is on my short list if I get another flusher, especially since my trusted source of sprinters retired from breeding. I haven't hunted over a Boykin but I have watch a couple dozen in tests and trials over the years. They don't appear any better or worse than an equivalent springer so their appeal is due more to uniqueness.

I prefer males as I don't have to deal with heat cycles. When I had a female, it was not uncommon to have a cycle occur during hunting season. That was never fun or productive. With my other dogs being males, that could lead to other issues.

I also prefer males as their larger size often seems to help in the covers I often hunt. Being larger and stronger also seems to help with the retrieve especially in heavy cover and/or large birds like geese. A larger dog also seems to be a bit more of a deterent when contact is made with a coyote. A flusher may not have as much of an issue due to proximity to a person with a gun but it can be a boon for a wider ranging dog.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you have a litter to pick from and it is from a proven line, let the Pup pick you. If they are all obviously healthy this way of picking works as good as any. The flushing Spaniels are almost always of a gentle nature and a heavy hand will break their spirit. Make sure you go into the game with your temper and emotions under control.

Male or Female? If you are not into breeding then it makes little difference. Get a female fixed and coming into heat is a non issue. Have had male and female English Springers and Cockers. Had a bull Springer and bull Cocker, both males and they were dynamic. A runt female Springer turned into a better than good hunter and was loyal to the extreme. She was fixed. Merlot the current Cocker may have been the runt. He was tiny and the last pick, came from a solid foundation, so I said send him. If he was the runt, you wouldn’t know it today.

Solid hunting blood is the first rule not to be broken.

When it comes to Boykins and the flushing Spaniels the size difference of Male vs Female is a non-issue in covering ground. And the actual weight difference is normally not significant and doesn’t take into account differences in hunting desire. The great flushers want to catch a Bird before it lifts off. They want to kill it before you do. They may be of a gentle nature, but the great ones go to the Bird with flashing teeth and a maniacle charge. The good blood most often will come with a hunters heart, and that is where the money paid bears the long term dividends.

Addition: Georgia is a good place to start. Especially if the breeder is mainly selling Boykins to the plantations to be used as pick-up Dogs to retrieve after shooting into a covey. 1k is a more than fair price if they have a solid reputation with the plantations. The South places a higher value on good Dog blood than one often finds further North.

Last edited by battue; 03/04/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, so I am sure of what you said... When getting a female dog fixed, it is NOT necessary for them to have had a heat cycle??? My step daughter has a beautiful female golden, but she wants to have her fixed... Doing this before she comes in heat will not hurt the dog??? Thanks for the info..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My Vet recommends it be done around 6 months and how he sees the Dog developing. However, there are new studies out that say it can be done much earlier. I don't know which is correct. Some googlefu on the subject.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_determining_best_age_to_spay_or_neuter

Last edited by battue; 03/04/19.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Waiting until the first heat cycle is the safe "one size fits all" method of spaying females but different breeds as well as individual dogs within a breed mature at different times so earlier is not necessarily bad. Read up on the pros and cons of when to spay and then ask your vet. Question them on why they recommend the timing and then base your decision off their answers. I wouldn't hesitate to get other opinions either as this is not any different than going into surgery yourself.

The handful of female dogs I've owned and spayed were done after the first heat cycle. That was a matter of convenience for me as I prefer picking up pups between late March and early May so first heat is generally after hunting seasons are closed and outside training is rarely possible due to MN's winter. I don't make a practice of spaying or neutering dogs that soon in their life but I have trained some dogs with the intention of later being gifted to those who had no desire to own an intact dog.

A couple of experiences further lend very slight weight to my preference to wait on spaying. Two "family mutts" have been spayed before their first heat cycles and ended up much smaller and less coordinated than expected. One was 40+ years ago and the other 8. Both were mixes of terrier breeds which may have some bearing or it may have no bearing. The current mutt can be compared to 3 of its litter mates which is how the differences can be seen. This totally anecdotal and only adds to my decision to wait until winter to have a dog spayed rather than be a determining factor.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by battue
My Vet recommends it be done around 6 months and how he sees the Dog developing. However, there are new studies out that say it can be done much earlier. I don't know which is correct. Some googlefu on the subject.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_determining_best_age_to_spay_or_neuter

Latest DU magazine has an article that says research is suggesting waiting until beyond one year old to spay/neuter. Risk of cancers is elevated for dogs that are fixed younger. Increase in such risk varies according breed. Anyone with an intact puppy ought to read the article and discuss with vet.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just a thought if you are going to do a lot of waterfowl work you might want to consider an American Water Spaniel, the tail seems to make them a better dog in the water. I used to train with a bunch of springers and e-cockers and my AWS seemed to leave them in the dust in the water. I've never hunted with a Boykin but did get to see some work at a hunt tests in ID and WY.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks for all the replies and advice. The idea is to get a dog that will be a good pet and et along with our 6 year old Dachshund. The retrieving part will be ducks and dove. The flushing part will be for quail. Ilike the Boykin's size and temperament and as you said, its "uniqueness".

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You might also consider a Field Bred English Cocker; great dogs and lovable pets. Smartest sporting dog I have ever been around.
One of the best breeders around is near you in Albany Georgia; I have a dog from her stock. might be worth a visit. Member here, Battue, also has one from Kinchafoonee; reach out to him.
EDIT to add; did not see Battue's post above ,all good advice. I think the Kinchafoonee FBEC's were running $1200 when I got mine 4 years ago. The extra cost amortizes down to not much over 10+ years compared to vet bills, feed, training time, grooming, etc. You will enjoy the spaniel you choose. However; don't think the smaller dog is easier to handle than a big lab, the one's from strong hunting stock are high energy and need work.
Good luck with your pup.

http://www.kkennelsga.com

Abbey does get frustrated with slow internet speeds at the camp,though:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 03/05/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He asked about Boykins, so I left it at that.

After 3 English Cockers there is only one reason you could make me change. And that would be a full choke, hotter than hot proven English Springer.

Ms Williams from Kinchafoonie sells many of her Pups to some of the best plantations in Georgia. I doubt you would go wrong with an
FBEC from her. She also may be worth a phone call re who has good Boykins in the area. She is a jewel of a women.

Last edited by battue; 03/06/19.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think Boykins are cool and friends have had a couple....

Toby a Cocker, not the best nose, but heart, drive, smarts and personality made up for it. He was a cripples worst nightmare....

[Linked Image]

Abby the Springer and Toby the Cocker, slumming with a Bud and his Setter....

[Linked Image]

Duffy a Springer. I would bet money on his nose against the best....

[Linked Image]

Sam a Cocker. He was a comer and then Lymes took him away....

[Linked Image]

Merlot the Cocker in residence....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 03/06/19.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shot a Boykin Spaniel field trial for a national Boykin Assoc once many years ago. They found and flushed pheasants at will and well. Water retrieves on mallards as good as a lab for single retrieves and if they are hungry they will eat your duck. Nice dogs but most dogs are nicer than people.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Beautiful dogs... Makes me want one of each!!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Boykins can be great dogs. I can not emphases enough to do your research on the breeder and their bloodlines. They are soft dogs as Battue said, so no heavy hand and be patient or you will ruin it. I have seen a few very good Boykins but none that could run with an English Springer. But with that said the Boykins I have been around were much mellower out of the field then the Springers. So that could hold a lot of worth.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad has had a couple Boykin’s and I’ve spent a lot of time with them and I’m not enamored by them. . I had a field bred English cocker and I don’t think I’d ever own anything else. We lost Tink a few weeks back, best little happy go lucky, floppy eared, people loving bird dog a guy could ask for.
This little girl will be heading our way shortly.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by RememberBaker; 03/09/19.

NRA Endowment Life Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ha!!!! Wishing the best for all of you. Lets see more of her in the future.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You've gotten great input from the other guys. I've owned a Boykin and now have a field bred English cocker. Both males and both from good bloodlines. I loved the Boykin and had a hard time getting over his loss. Actually got the FBEC because I could not find the right Boykin pup anywhere near me and this one is liver colored and looks/acts like the Boykin. Both are excellent upland hunters and retrievers. I hunt primarily pheasants.

Both are high energy dogs that crave attention and time outdoors to run daily. In fact my dogs are my exercise program! Beyond being great in the field, my two turned out to be great family dogs. They both love people and get along well with other dogs. Both of mine were neutered. When they get happy, their shorter height and long body stature gets them wiggling like crazy. Both of mine are on the larger size for breed and both loved to be on my lap a few times a day. My knees can attest to that. In fact I'm typing this one-handed on my iPad with Hershey asleep there now.

As others have said, buy from a reputable breeder with a known reputation for producing hunting dogs. You won't regret having either spaniel as a friend and hunting companion.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
More than a little English Cockers admiration here, I never would have guessed it to be the case. Nice to see, such a fine Dog becoming more popular.

The Brits call them "pocket rockets" and they are highly regarded over there for their ability, personality and the fact they are an easy Dog to live with.

Keith Erlandson (sp?) who was a famous Brit English Springer man once said of the FBEC: "When the devil comes to earth to do a little gunning, he brings with him two coal black English Cockers with burning embers for eyes." He also referred to them as: "A lovable street urchin who will pick your pocket while smiling into your eyes."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
More than a little English Cockers admiration here, I never would have guessed it to be the case. Nice to see, such a fine Dog becoming more popular.

The Brits call them "pocket rockets" and they are highly regarded over there for their ability, personality and the fact they are an easy Dog to live with.

Keith Erlandson (sp?) who was a famous Brit English Springer man once said of the FBEC: "When the devil comes to earth to do a little gunning, he brings with him two coal black English Cockers with burning embers for eyes." He also referred to them as: "A lovable street urchin who will pick your pocket while smiling into your eyes."

Sounds like Tobey

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MCH and Battue — I enjoy reading your discourses on dogs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Sounds like Tobey

Toby was “The Highlander” of Dogs. “There can only be one.”

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

MCH and Battue — I enjoy reading your discourses on dogs.

I have been pretty fortunate to hunt over some amazing dogs. I knew Brian Hayes who inherited Elhew Kennels from Bob and got to shoot over a bunch of great EP's. I was also friends with a guy that trained and ran Field Trials for many years. Pat Labree taught me a bunch and helped me with my dogs. I have been very lucky to have friends that are very into dogs and Upland Bird and Waterfowl hunting. I learned what I know about water dogs from a man I have a lot of respect for. I went to his train the trainer classes and learned a lot from Buck Shope. So I have seen what great dogs look like compared to good dogs.

Battue won't admit it but his dogs are better than average for sure! That old bastard hunts a LOT!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Sounds like Tobey

Toby was “The Highlander” of Dogs. “There can only be one.”

How old is Merlot? We'll see my friend we'll see!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
4 maybe 5. Neither one of us is much for numbers. 😃

Last edited by battue; 03/10/19.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dam I didn't think Merlot was that old. Time flies, I thought Tobey was younger than My Lulu.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by RememberBaker
My dad has had a couple Boykin’s and I’ve spent a lot of time with them and I’m not enamored by them. . I had a field bred English cocker and I don’t think I’d ever own anything else. We lost Tink a few weeks back, best little happy go lucky, floppy eared, people loving bird dog a guy could ask for.
[Linked Image]

That is one precious pup!!! All this Spaniel talk is killing me. I sure miss my Boykin. frown I had a Golden Retriever that was a great dog too. Most of my dogs come in the form of strays that I come across. I just can’t drive past them. You just don’t find many English Cockers or Boykins that are abandoned these days. smile

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My Boykin will turn 2 this month. Last summer we got another dog from the local shelter and they had no problems, other than he doesn’t like to share toys. Very high energy, often times I’ll take him for a romp in the woods (3-5miles) and when we get home he’s ready for more. He naturally had a lot of prey drive which made up for my lack of training ability (this is my first bird dog). His feelings could get hurt if you’re rough on corrections, but he was very willing to learn. Very sweet with people.

Even on very cold days he’ll go after a water retrieve but as soon as he gets wet it’s pretty much over, if it’s below freezing I keep a towel nearby to try to keep him warm, but I don’t usually stay more than 20-30min once he’s wet if it’s cold. If we’re being honest, I detest the cold too, so once we get a duck or 2 down I use him as my excuse to dip out early a lot of days unless the blind has a heater. He does love the water though. If we go hunting for quail, I can’t get him much more than 10 feet infront of me, but that doesn’t bother me. He’ll flush if he catches the scent but I’ve never really trained him for upland work. Also will retrieve fur if we happen across some squirrels while we’re out.

All around, great dog if you have the time to burn their energy. If they’re going to be in the house without much excersize... God help you.

Last edited by JJWise; 04/01/19.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There is no other dog for me! Love my little brown dog!

Mule Deer, "Yeah, real men don't flinch, especially gun writers!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RememberBaker
[Linked Image]

I think I'm in love............

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 47 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,464,017
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.