Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
In the early 90's I got into trap shooting and shot several years in the ATA.. I had a 96 average.. Not outstanding, but good.. Only made it to the 23 yard line in handicap.. Then I took several trips over seas hunting.. For one reason and another, I never got back into registered shoots.. I could hold my own on some of our local turkey shoots.. When I got to the trap ranges, I still averaged about 96.. Then for several years I seldom shot any trap.. Showed up in my field shooting.. So I decided to get back to the trap range as often as I could.. But last year my shooting fell off markedly.. I shot maybe 300 rounds.. This year I have shot about 200 rounds so far.. All from the 16 yard line.. Figured my average the other day, 85... I guess age is catching up too me, but I am glad I am still able to shoot.. Not all my pals are able to do that!!!

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you just need to shoot more. No idea how old you are but you need to knock the rust off before you compare yourself to your ATA averages

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Passport, maybe, I am going to be 72 in June.. Don't feel it and try not to act it.. But this sure has me wondering..

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ha! I know how you feel, We are all getting older every day....keep on keeping on for as long as you can! 👍.....Hb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hang tough and don't quit. Jim Snow didn't....

DON KOHLBAUER / Union-Tribune
At 93 and missing three fingers on his right hand, Jim Snow is still one of the best shooters in his club.
Jim Snow never thought about it at the time, the odd twist of fate. He was too focused on blasting the 100th clay target.

Snow took dead aim with his shotgun and smashed the orange disc before it got out of range and hit the ground.
At 93 years, 5 months, 8 days, Jim Snow had hit 100 trap targets in a row and made history. He is the oldest to hit 100 straight targets for the first time in his shooting career in an Amateur Trapshooting Association registered shoot. And he's the oldest person to break 100 straight targets in registered competition, both facts courtesy of Trap & Field, the sport's official magazine and record keeper.
It was a magical moment for those present at the San Diego Shotgun Sports Association (SDSSA) at Miramar earlier this month, but for Snow, fate had brought him to nearly the same spot where he experienced the worst moment of his life. It was nearly 60 years ago that he lost three fingers and most of the little finger on his right hand in an accident while in the Navy.
Just as people rushed to his aid that terrible day so long ago, they ran toward him on this day, too. But this time it was to congratulate him for doing something no one had done at his age.
"At his age, and with his disability, it's like me or you pitching a shutout or no-hitter in a World Series game," said range manager Layne Kuhlman. "Most of us can't fathom how he does what he does."

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by battue
Hang tough and don't quit. Jim Snow didn't....

DON KOHLBAUER / Union-Tribune
At 93 and missing three fingers on his right hand, Jim Snow is still one of the best shooters in his club.
Jim Snow never thought about it at the time, the odd twist of fate. He was too focused on blasting the 100th clay target.

Snow took dead aim with his shotgun and smashed the orange disc before it got out of range and hit the ground.
At 93 years, 5 months, 8 days, Jim Snow had hit 100 trap targets in a row and made history. He is the oldest to hit 100 straight targets for the first time in his shooting career in an Amateur Trapshooting Association registered shoot. And he's the oldest person to break 100 straight targets in registered competition, both facts courtesy of Trap & Field, the sport's official magazine and record keeper.
It was a magical moment for those present at the San Diego Shotgun Sports Association (SDSSA) at Miramar earlier this month, but for Snow, fate had brought him to nearly the same spot where he experienced the worst moment of his life. It was nearly 60 years ago that he lost three fingers and most of the little finger on his right hand in an accident while in the Navy.
Just as people rushed to his aid that terrible day so long ago, they ran toward him on this day, too. But this time it was to congratulate him for doing something no one had done at his age.
"At his age, and with his disability, it's like me or you pitching a shutout or no-hitter in a World Series game," said range manager Layne Kuhlman. "Most of us can't fathom how he does what he does."

Cool! Just very cool!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bump to clear spam off of the homepage

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, very cool.. Not giving up, but having a hard time accepting this... I didn't shoot trap until I was over 40 years old, and even in the begging, I did better than this with an 870 field gun.. Maybe just a slump..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
200 or 300 rounds of 25 per round, means some lessons may be in order. 200 or 300 shells fired, or 8-12 rounds of 25, is not a valid indicator of current or future ability.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When was the last time you had an eye exam?

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by colorado bob
When was the last time you had an eye exam?

That is a very good question, especially as we age. My wife has had two changes in her eyeglass prescription, both noticed due to a slump in her shooting. Not being able to see the target clearly is a common problem. It is something I would suggest having done as a general practice even if not shooting.

If the eyes check out fine and you are still having problems I would change to a new and/or better quality shooting lens as I have seen my own lenses get blurry over time. This can be particularly true if using very inexpensive glasses.

If you are still having problems I would recommend a lesson or two from a good instructor. One may find there is a fundamental flaw in their technique which is causing their problems. Or, it could be that you have physically changed and your gun does not fit as it once did. Getting a lesson or two under the belt will help determine what is going on and short cut the learning curve to any fixes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Getting old ain’t no fun at all. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Passport, maybe, I am going to be 72 in June.. Don't feel it and try not to act it.. But this sure has me wondering..

Get a good look at the target and stay with the shot. What us older guys have that the young quick reflex crown lacks is trigger time and experience. Leverage them and in time you will be back if not better. Give it a little time. Some warm weather will help a ton too

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
bob, probably 15 years ago..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
WCH first things first, the eye exam that's just smart. 2nd Go to 1oz loads and never look back. all I use in WW AA hulls any more for 16's is 7/8 oz of 9's at 1175fps pounds the hell out of the targets but doesn't beat you up. I load all my own so I can do that, but you don't find light 9"s every where so that's the reason for my light 1 oz recommendation. Good luck and smoke'm MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 03/08/19.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks for all the suggestions!! I will try those one oz loads.. See them on sale all the time.. I also load, but all my wads seem to be for the 1 1/8 oz loads..

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,463,991
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.