Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I’m happy to shave the 6–7 oz by using the SS 3-9x instead.

You're only saying that because you have to hump that mutha on yer back, instead of letting a packwheel carry it....

Absolutely right. For rifles where weight isn’t a huge deal, the LRHS is hard to beat.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin

Originally Posted by huntsman22
my LRHS's haven't let me down yet...... at least on a sweat-soaked, OTC tag, wheelpacking hunt.....

Maybe someday I'll get a 'coveted' tag. Oh, and buy a backpack for it.

I’ve always wanted a LRHS. I get lucky once in awhile with a lower draw odds tag. Last one was bull moose out in the middle of nowhere that paid off. Finally got an elk tag for next season. Out in the middle of nowhere of course.

The LRHS is an awesome scope, but on a backcountry hunting rifle I’m happy to shave the 6–7 oz by using the SS 3-9x instead.

Yes, the oz game is real. A real balance between robust and pounds. I have a 3-9 SS. So far like it but haven’t hunted it yet. A Kimber WSM gets up there with a 20 ounce scope.

Yup, the beauty of the SS 3-9x is that it’s as robust as heavier options, but several ounces lighter. That’s what my Barrett FC and Kimber 7-08 wear. The Kimber WSM’s get up there even more with a 25oz LRHS, but it’s worth it, IMO.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I bought the SS 3-9 for its' reliability. Learning to use the reticle and dials make it worth twice the weight, almost.

If I get my shot of a lifetime [wolf] , A miss will be on me and not my gear. Their 6X w/ the MQ reticle is also great and even simpler.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Question for the SS 3-9 users: Any issues with the lack of parallax adjustment?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guess I’m the minority, my draw tags/guided have been Leupold and ziess. Haven’t ran ziess in 6-8 years. Never a issue

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Switched to NighForce SHV in recent years and have no complaints. One of them will be going on a backpack hunt this fall. Wont necessarily be a coveted tag - except maybe by me cool

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
After running m-1’s on my 6.5 300 this year I’m sending her back for cds, tired of those damn things hanging up on everything, can’t imagine the swfa turrets...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Judman
After running m-1’s on my 6.5 300 this year I’m sending her back for cds, tired of those damn things hanging up on everything, can’t imagine the swfa turrets...

I carry mine w/ a scopeshield in place, covers the turrets and the lenses, pops off in< 1 second.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Question for the SS 3-9 users: Any issues with the lack of parallax adjustment?

Negative.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Jud,

The SWFA fixed turrets are shorter than M1’s, IIRC (I’ll have to check and confirm when I get home). The HD turrets are shorter and trimmer yet.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2.5x8 Vari X III for elk
Mark 4 10x M1 for Coues

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Jud,

The SWFA fixed turrets are shorter than M1’s, IIRC (I’ll have to check and confirm when I get home). The HD turrets are shorter and trimmer yet.

Copy they quite a bit bigger, maybe the finger grooves?? Gonna give the UL a try on my 22 creed when she gets screwed together

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Guess I’m the minority, my draw tags/guided have been Leupold and ziess. Haven’t ran ziess in 6-8 years. Never a issue

Leupold and CDS has done rather well for me on bigger hunts.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
NF shv 3x10 with forceplex is another that I would like to try, seems to connect a lot of dots......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Whatever scope you choose, consider taking a second scope already sighted-in, mounted in good QD rings. If the primary scope fails, it is easy to replace.

I favor a 6x Leupold for most of my hunting, though when I went to the Brooks Range to hunt, I did rely on an older 2-7x Redfield.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Jud,

Copy they quite a bit bigger, maybe the finger grooves?? Gonna give the UL a try on my 22 creed when she gets screwed together

Yeah, the grip on top of the SS turret is wider than the M1, for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Looks like a “fun” several hours of work followed that pic. Moose falling dead in a pond ain’t ideal...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

[Linked Image]

I love the CDS "design" for hunting. Capped windage, very low profile, zero-stopped (easy to do yourself), limited on revolutions but it's plenty for my hunting.

I wish Nightforce would do this with the 3-10 SHV or simply change the elevation only to their zero-stop dial.

S&B will add a BDC for elevation that is similar to the CDS and very low profile. It's limited to 3.3 mil, which is still enough for my hunting even with a 100 yard 0. I've not yet put it to use to evaluate adjustments and return to 0. It is a fairly lightweight and compact package in a fixed power scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jay,

How's the do it your self zero stop work?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

leupold 6x42......always works for me.....only scope I have had that failed, was a Steiner…...bob

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,099
Posts18,464,161
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.