Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Mesa Precision Arms out of Colorado just announced their Carbon Fiber Altitude Stock for TIkka Actions. These stocks, made by AG Composites, are supposed to be drop in and weigh 24oz. I talked to John at Mesa Precision and they should be available at the end of March.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by eamyrick; 02/20/19.
BP-B6

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
A few more specs:

-No caliber restrictions
-Options for large diameter Proof barrels and factory Tikka offerings
-Future DBM options but currently for factory Tikka bottom metal (MT bottom metal replacements are supposed to fit)
-Drop-in compatible with standard Tikka actions
Options with included lug and add on lug for re barreled actions
-Colors available on the Mesa Precision Arms website
-Stock will be made for lefties as well but the left hand models will come after the initial run.

This is the stock I've been looking for to complete my Tikka 270 as a lightweight mountain rifle. The factory stock is fairly nice but I need more cheek piece for consistent head position through my Swaro 4-12x50.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Wow! That is a nice looking stock but it sure does have a closed grip.....I would like to handle one but I doubt it would be for Me.....Hb

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those look fantastic

Weight?

Last edited by RBO; 02/20/19.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
What is the retail? upwards of 500.00
I noticed Red Hawk Rifles selling the same for Remington 700 actions at $575.00

Last edited by Remington280; 02/20/19.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Another swing and a miss.....

One day someone will actually look at what a stock should do for a shooter.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Price is $599 from Mesa which is in line with McMillian are Manners carbon stocks without the wait time. The guys at Mesa who designed the stock are long rang shooters and hunters. The stock has been out for Remington actions and I’ve heard nothing but positive reviews.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

What flavor of aftermarket stock do you prefer for a lightweight rifle like a tikka ?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

What flavor of aftermarket stock do you prefer for a lightweight rifle like a tikka ?

Factory synthetic Tikka stock works great....best milk-jug stock out there. A little bedding to affix the recoil lug to the stock, and they’ve held up to some pretty tough punishment. They’re also relatively light, you’d be paying a pretty penny to lose a couple ounces. Ergos work well for actual field shooting.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

[/quote]

Factory synthetic Tikka stock works great....best milk-jug stock out there. A little bedding to affix the recoil lug to the stock, and they’ve held up to some pretty tough punishment. They’re also relatively light, you’d be paying a pretty penny to lose a couple ounces. Ergos work well for actual field shooting. [/quote]

The T3X stock with the vertical grip insert is a pretty dandy setup for my liking...that layout in a stiff carbon fiber shell would do it for me.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

You would have to be weight obsessive to spend over $500 for a few ounces. Especially when the
factory Tikka stock works so well.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Factory synthetic Tikka stock works great....best milk-jug stock out there. A little bedding to affix the recoil lug to the stock, and they’ve held up to some pretty tough punishment. They’re also relatively light, you’d be paying a pretty penny to lose a couple ounces. Ergos work well for actual field shooting.

I agree with you on all points, I’ve had Manners, McMillan, and B&C stocks on various tikkas over the years. I liked some of them, particularly the manners EHT I have on an SS lite 243 right now, but I’ve also been happy to go back to the factory plastic stocks, especially with a krylon job to dress them up and add a little texture.

But I’m also curious what style of aftermarket stock Formid, you or other experienced shooters here like on their fairly lightweight hunting rigs. Like I said, the Manners EHT is a nice stock. I briefly had an EH2 on a Remington and liked the shape of it. Any McMillans work particularly well on T3 lites?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a Hunters Edge on my Superlite 7MM-08 and sure like it. I think several other folks here have also gone that route and are pleased with the results.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 02/21/19.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

There really isn’t one yet. Ridiculously the factory T3x stock with vertical grip installed still has probably the best function of any of them.

This is why-
[Linked Image]

Everyone keeps dropping the recoil line below the barrel. The distance between the top of the PD and the bottom of the line is wasted recoil/muzzle lift control. The stock is actually fighting against you seeing your own impacts.

If we imagine that the barrel is perfectly level, then a stock should have a negative comb (butt pad higher than action), vertical grip, bottom of stock from recoil pad to grip should be level or nearly so front to back (or a portion of it), bottom of forend should be level front to back. This design maximizes the tendency of the rifle to recoil straight back with no muzzle lift.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Formid and Oregonmuley, I appreciate the replies

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I’ll try and get some more info on performance up after I get mine bolted up.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by eamyrick
I’ll try and get some more info on performance up after I get mine bolted up.

Do you currently have one in hand? I'm curious about the inlet for the action

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I don’t but should get one as soon as they are available. The goal is for them to have ample numbers in stock instead of an order backlog like other high end stocks. I’ll post up photos and a review when I get the stock set up.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Interested....

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Looks like a great option in that kind of weight ..... I was looking for the grayboe terrain for tikka but it’s kind of heavy...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.