Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thinking of a Safari. Plains game for wife and I both hunting, approximately 10 day hunt. With political climate and best affordable Safari in mind.....which countries and PH’s do you recommend? Thanks in advance for advice and comments ( at least the constructive ones) wink ! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/07/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Going the first time, it makes lots of sense to contact a booking agent. They don't cost anything and are a wealth of info. Make sure they have a good reputation and aren't someone who reps for just one outfit.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Contact familyexpeditions.com and speak with Corinna or Kevin. Absolutely first class people and operation. They'll listen to what you want and steer you to the best fit.

RS

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I whole heartedly recommend Nihan Engelbrecht of Huntersgame Safaris in South Africa. Look up his website and his accommodations near Kimberly, SA. We hunted with him three different years and each time eas fantastic. He could not do enough for us each trip. I/we took 18 animals on the three trips. The accommodations, food and all was very memorable. If I can be of more help please PM me. MTG
Huntersgame.co.za

Last edited by MTGunner; 03/07/19.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Big list of possibilities.

First and foremost arrange some additional touring after your hunting is done. For all those hours on a plane it seems silly not to do some touring. 2009 in Namibia we spent 30 days in Namibia 10 of them hunting, 2015 in RSA 21 days with 10 days hunting. Look into other activities for example shore fishing for sharks on the skeleton coast of Namibia, fly fishing opportunities can be found in RSA, winery tours, touring and wildlife viewing in the national parks.......

Join up (if you have not already done so) Accurate reloading and African Hunting websites. lots of good information there.

First question what animal(s) are key on your want list? So much of that judges where you go.

For examples the Hartmans zebra will have you in Namibia, Puku will likely see you in Zambia, ......

Do you care if you are hunting the animals in their natural terrain or are transplants okay?

Is a high fence a problem? I hunted a high fence outfit in Namibia which was over 75,000 contiguous acres with the only internal fences being old 3 and 4 strand wire fences which they were actively tearing down. The outfit is called Byseewah I would highly recommend them. I have been in conversations with and been impressed by another Namibian Kowas Safaris whom JG Raider has hunted with and been very happy with.

I hunted a high fenced operation in the Eastern Cape (2015) called Hotfire safaris which was "only" 10,000+ acres which was made so much larger by the vertical variation within the property. For on who like hunting in the foothills and mountains Hotfire gives you plains game hunting with a feel of the what I would call the foothills. I would also highly recommend Hotfire.

If you have time go to a SCI or DSC Convention or a local hunting show and chat with your most likely candidates. Spending 10 days hunting wth someone you think is a dick makes for a very long trip.

If you are going to tour and wish to do so 100% on your own then I would suggest Namibia be the first country that you look at.

Please feel free to PM me if you want more of my thoughts. My experience is limited compared to some others here, hopefully other voices will chime in.

All the best.

GRF

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
+1 to what GRF said.

I highly recommend taking extra time for touring. I booked side trips to Botswana and Zimbabwe to see Chobe National Park and Victoria Falls. My wife is not a hunter, but was awestruck with having hippos come by our camp at night and experiencing Victoria Falls.

Prior to leaving, we checked with the outfitter on any items they would like us to bring from the U.S. We brought some school (pencils, pens, rulers etc.) supplies and stopped by a local elementary school. The kids were so excited to have new supplies. It was a simple gesture, but it made a big impression.

Good luck with your trip

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Very good recommendations all, Thanks for the detailed information. This is limited resource ($) “bucket list” trip. We don’t require 5 star accommodations.....just good people to hunt with. High fence is OK.....As long as there are many thousands of non-crossfenced acres. We do not want to hunt a fenced animal....”very” fair chase “only”! Keep’ m coming! Thanks, memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted South Africa. I've hunted it twice. Once for plains game & the 2nd time for cape buffalo. I would highly recommend Bossie Mostert. He has Limpopo Big Game Safaris. Website is www.lbgsafaris.com He hunts in the Soutpansberg Mtns in the Limpopo. It kind of reminded me of elk hunting----get high & glass for kudu. See them & make a plan for a stalk. He has some REALLY big kudu.

He has specials package deals. Or you can create you own. I would definitely do Kruger National Park & see the Big 5. I haven't seen a rhino----they kind of keep the locations of sightings a secret. I guess trying to cut down on the horn poaching. If your into fishing---you may want to try for some tiger fish.

I would forget about taxidermy. Take lots of photos instead. Getting the trophies home is a pain in the butt & it's expensive. Save the money & hunt a couple more critters. You may want to see if they are any cull animals. Fees are cheaper and I don't care if it's a Gold or Silver class trophy.

Also take a day & visit some of the local favor. There was a local school for the orphan blacks. Many of their students went on to be scholars in college. It was kind of interesting.

Enjoy the food & wine of South Africa. The wine is great.

No matter where you go. Have Gracey Travel make your plane reservations. They are pros. Plus they have staff at Johannesburg Airport to help.

I had Bossie met me at Johannesburg. Going thru customs & getting my firearm was a breeze. He knew the Custom Officers & everything went top notch.

One word of caution------Africa gets into your blood. You'll be flying home & you'll be planning your next trip back. I'm going for my 3rd time & plan to hunt with Bossie.

Last edited by colorado bob; 03/07/19.
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks Bob, I’ll take a look-see! I’ll probably not be able ($), to make a second.....so wold like trophies at home. Spend my last few years reminiscing! smile memtb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by memtb
Thinking of a Safari. Plains game for wife and I both hunting, approximately 10 day hunt. With political climate and best affordable Safari in mind.....which countries and PH’s do you recommend? Thanks in advance for advice and comments ( at least the constructive ones) wink ! memtb

Sir, please feel free to drop me either a PM or email. It will be my pleasure to present you with an offer for you and your bride. We have had many couples join us on safari, and like to think that our accommodations will surpass the standards our fairer species. If you would be so kind to visit my web page at www.huntsafaris.co.za , and let me know if I can assist in any way.

Hope to hear from you,

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B3

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thank You Marius, I’ll take a look! Do you see any major changes in the next year or so....politically or money exchange rates! We’re in the early stages of our planning/dream hunt! We may be in touch! memtb

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Duke Safaris is fantastic. I hunted once (so far) and know quite a few others who have hunted with them many, many times. Never a complaint or regret.

http://dukesafaris.com/

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
+1 on taking in the sights but I always book the sightseeing in the front of the hunt. It helps you sharpen your "bush eyes" and gives luggage or firearms a chance to catch up if your airline sends them to timbuktu.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Regarding taxidermy skulls with horns, hides and. Metric ton of photos

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by memtb
Thank You Marius, I’ll take a look! Do you see any major changes in the next year or so....politically or money exchange rates! We’re in the early stages of our planning/dream hunt! We may be in touch! memtb

Thank you very much. As always, I fully believe that there will be no political interference with the hunting fraternity. Exchange rates I believe will be similar.
Hope to hear from you!

All the best with the planning.

Best Regards,
Marius

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks again to everyone that took time to reply. It’s not going to happen soon, a lot to learn, a lot of decisions to make. But, with your recommendations and a bit of luck...we hope to make it happen. When we win the lottery, the future trips will be much easier. grin memtb

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I am a little late to the thread however.........

Having never hunted in South Africa anything I write about it is only opinion.

I have hunted in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, and the Republic of Congo.

For a first time plains game the Republic of Congo is definitely out and Tanzania is very expensive these day.

Coutada Nine in Mozambique is probably one of the most game rich concessions anywhere. Beautiful camp and 500,000 or so acres make it an unbelievable experience. Somebody will kill a 60" kudu there soon. The downside is it is a little more difficult to get to and depending where you fly, the flight will be more expensive. For me it is worth the cost and effort. Contact Mokore Safaris. The Duckworth family members are among the finest people I know.

In Zimbabwe there are multiple choices. My favorite would be to fly in to Vic Falls, overnight at Vic Falls Hotel for some nostalgia or Vic Falls Safari Lodge for something nicer. Spend a two or three days in Hwange at a place like Nehimba and then charter over to Sengwa Research Center. This is also operated by Mokore Safaris. Great plains game with some monster eland and waterbuck.

The great thing about both of the hunting camps I have mentioned is you will see elephant, lion, buffalo on your hunts. Neither area is fenced,

Honorable mention would be Andrew Baldry's Royal Kafue in Zambia. Beautiful camp on the Kafue River, lots of game including lion, buffalo, and elephant. This is a place you could kill a very big sable and roan on the same hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out Crusader Safaris in South Africa, http://www.crusadersafaris.com. Hunted with them in 2017. Hunted their Umkomaas camp for Kudu, Nyala and Bushbuck. No high fence. Beautiful area. They also have a big area further south closer to Port Elizabeth a friend of mine has hunted with a wide variety of plains game. I think you would have a hard time finding a better outfit for plains game safari. Agree with previous recommendation to do side trip to Kruger.

Namibia should also be on your radar. Lots of good operators. Look at Kowas Safaris or Jamy Traut Safaris. If you decide on Namibia look at side trip to Etosha National Park to see big 5.

Good luck in your search, Fun to plan for sure!

Do or do not, there is no try.
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks again to all, for the information. The “only” negative would be..... I’m starting to suffer from “information overload”! Y’all are doing great, keep it coming. Thanks again, memtb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Africa on the Cheap you are Limited to R.S.A. which is mostly High Fence or Namibia which is mostly Free Range? You would want the P.H. to pick you up at the Airport to save on additional travel costs. Check Flight costs to Johannesburg R.S.A or Windhoek Namibia. Shipping Cost with Import of Trophies will be about $2,500. Mounting the animals is about $1000 each. I have been numerous time feel free to Private message me with any additional questions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.