Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Looking for a checkerer who does mullered borders. Classic Checkering/Tim Smith Lyon has been recommended to me, has anyone done business with him?

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
BTT

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I did not use a border at all. It was to hide an over run. What is a mullered border?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mullered borders are only done by hand AFAIK, and they would not take much more time than conventional borders, but it would require a pretty snazzy rifle to make it worthy...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldnt use him again. I used him twice, both time had issues with the pattern even after sending him pictures of exactly what I wanted. Also both stocks were returned smelling like cigarette smoke

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Comparison. Two that I have done, but I am no expert

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Mullered borders are only done by hand AFAIK, and they would not take much more time than conventional borders, but it would require a pretty snazzy rifle to make it worthy...

Sorry, but it is obvious you have never done Any mullered border checkering

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jkob

You would be very wrong there. I suggest you reread what I said.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Comparison. Two that I have done, but I am no expert

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks very good to me.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen the cutters for these and they look a lot like a double line cutter except the center is rounded in the center to create a beaded shape.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...er-vex-replacement-cutter-prod26289.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ering-cutters/no-b-1-tool-prod26296.aspx

Last edited by Sheister; 03/06/19.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've seen the cutters for these and they look a lot like a double line cutter except the center is rounded in the center to create a beaded shape.

And you can fairly easily make your own.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was referring to your comment about "...they would not take much more time..." Again, obvious you have never done it, sorry, but.. I normally agree with most of your comments but no this one, Mullered borders take more time to do.

Last edited by Jkob; 03/07/19.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I only replicate mullered borders on old patterns I re-cut. I think they were popular back in the day because they can be a device to camouflage minor boo boos on borders created by harried checkerers in factory settings. I do also think they add a touch of elegance on new custom jobs, but that may be a result of my fondness for old pieces.

The couple of times I incorporated mullered borders on fresh panels I first established my borders then cut the mullered borders to about half depth, and then proceeded to fill in the patterns. After that was done I finally took the borders down to full depth. That allowed me to have a distinct border to work up to and made the mullering easier to accomplish. I don't know if that's the correct protocol but it worked for me. It still made for a lot of touching up/completing those little tiny partial diamonds along curved borders but that is the devil of it in any style of checkering, at least to me anyway.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
To deal with the tiny partial diamonds try using a Dembart S-1 tool with the cutter installed 180 degrees from normal so that it cuts on the pull stroke. Makes it easier to complete those pesky little buggers without running over your borders. It's a trick I picked up years ago, it works for me (most of the time).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I was referring to your comment about "...they would not take much more time..." Again, obvious you have never done it, sorry, but.. I normally agree with most of your comments but no this one, Mullered borders take more time to do.

To be more specific and tying it to my "hand-cut" reference. When using a Foredom the addition of a mullered border is a large increase. When cutting by hand the difference does not seem so large. Tiny over-runs are usually a PITA but a mullered border cleans more of that up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
To deal with the tiny partial diamonds try using a Dembart S-1 tool with the cutter installed 180 degrees from normal so that it cuts on the pull stroke. Makes it easier to complete those pesky little buggers without running over your borders. It's a trick I picked up years ago, it works for me (most of the time).

Me too. Sometimes a bent riffler works better, sometimes not.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gunswizard

That's how I work up to borders, on the pull stroke with both standard and short cutters. I don't see how it can be done cleanly otherwise, but it did take a couple stocks before I wised up to it! Ah, the hubris of youth. I typically work a pattern with three tools set up, those two and a standard cutter on the push stroke, after laying out the lines with a two row cutter. I started with Dembart tools decades ago and don't wish to switch at this point!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sheister

And you can fairly easily make your own.

Hmmm. Interesting. How would one go about doing that?

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
No more expensive than cutters are it make no sense to make your own, this isn't the 1930's and Alvin Linden. Can't see how you'd relieve the back side of a border cutter so that it would cut.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/07/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.