Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't know the background on that and the info is appreciated. I backed into the world of paper patch on a lark and shortly thereafter was thoroughly hooked. It is quite remarkable what ol' Lord Black and a piece of lead can do, accuracy wise. In younger years I was one of the "BP can't possibly be accurate" crowd but have since gotten over that myth. Fact of it is I've found that paper patch can even help smokeless guns shoot a fair bit better than factory jacketed loads. And it will flat out put the splat on critters.

Some of my experiences and I'll let the pics do the talking:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bullet on top is a Lyman 457125 that casts at about 530 grains with 30:1

[Linked Image]

Tossed 5 out of it a couple months back using some Swiss 1.5 FG and an old school tang sight.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Last one that makes me giggle a bit...

Did this out in Cody a few years back with a .40 cal slug gun that uses grease groove bullets, mould by Dave Mos and a dash of Swiss. 200 yards in a full value L-R breeze of 15G25. Those Wyoming breezes can be quite educational. laugh

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 03/05/19.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had always heard that the throw-down rifle had an aluminum barrel to make it easier to swing around and toss. Don't know if that is true, but it is a persistent rumor.

The NRA was raffling off one of the rifles and quite a few people were interested in it, until they realized that it was valued in the 6-figure range and the IRS would be expecting taxes on that value. I don't know if it ever sold in the end.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

The Quigley, not a Quigley

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Last one that makes me giggle a bit...

Did this out in Cody a few years back with a .40 cal slug gun that uses grease groove bullets, mould by Dave Mos and a dash of Swiss. 200 yards in a full value L-R breeze of 15G25. Those Wyoming breezes can be quite educational. laugh

[Linked Image]

Dan the .442" TGBS bullets I cast patch to .449" with 9 lb onionskin I use them in my 45-70's for the most part .In my 45-110 which has an original style chamber I use a .440" TGBS KAL mold set at 1.465" and it patches to .4495" with Bienfang vellum paper. It's heavy and tough which works for me when pushed with 100-108 grs in my 2 7/8". It is also accurate enough at 1 mile to get on the mile target. MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 03/06/19.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for that. I assume you're patching to something slightly over bore diameter. 2 wraps, maybe 3?

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
2 wraps Dan, all my loads use lube wads early in the summer you can manage the fouling with a blow tube as the season progresses and humidity drops I wipe after every shot. I like shooting original style loads and mine can be used at gong shoots or on meat. .450" bore and .458" groove diameter MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks, interesting info.

Only place down here a fella can see a mile is on the interstate in some places, or offshore. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Don't know how you can tolerate that, but to each his own. Thing is the patched bullets have to be under bore dia. as they are only seated 1/8" into the case.The bullet is in the rifling waiting for the explosion to bump them up. MB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This rifle using the .446 diameter money bullet from a BACO mould wrapped in Seth Cole 55 w (2 wraps) with a thin Napa rubber cork gasket wad punched with a Cornell press mounted wad punch, on top of 105 grains of OE 1f. and a muzzleloader original dry lubed felt wad, bullet seated about 3/8 inch into Norma case. Wiped between shots
[Linked Image]

Fired this group at 1000 yards from prone off cross ticks. That white bull is 22 inches in diameter.
[Linked Image]

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are these 550 grainers Hindenburgish enough ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]][Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Bob, it's a thankless task but somebody has to do it. wink

Ranch, that be a fancy stick your totin' around and it seems to shoot pretty fair. Thanks. shocked

Woody, I gotta say yes. Or you might think I'm disturbed. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan that Borchardt is so sweet..
Thinking about another one, in less of a powder consumptive cartridge.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ranch, where do you get those beauties?

I am..........disturbed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by tmitch
Makes me cringe every time I see the Shiloh thrown in the dirt. shocked frown cry
wasn't the real one.

Actually it was a real Shiloh. Selleck came here to Montana to visit the Shiloh plant and spend some time with Mike Venturino to become more familiar with a Sharps rifle. They made 3 rifles, one to shoot and film, one to abuse and a third for a spare and close up filming.

Thanks for the clarification. I read somewhere that the "abuse" rifle had an aluminum barrel to make it easier to toss. Clearly they were all built by Shiloh.

Can you confirm?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Ranch, where do you get those beauties?

Dan if which beautie's?
The rifle was one I got 3rd hand but basically unfired, that was built up by Rich McKinney off of a military action. They do pop up occasionally on the typical online places. Matter of fact there was one that just sold on Gunbroker that was a 45-70,, the price was low enough I was really tempted to get it and have a 44 barrel spun on to it and chambered for 44-70 st.
The rounds I build off of Norma, or Jamison brass, and some of the old stretched and formed 348 brass that BACO sold. The bullets I cast from the BACO .446 535 Money bullet mould using 16-1.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by tmitch
Makes me cringe every time I see the Shiloh thrown in the dirt. shocked frown cry
wasn't the real one.

Actually it was a real Shiloh. Selleck came here to Montana to visit the Shiloh plant and spend some time with Mike Venturino to become more familiar with a Sharps rifle. They made 3 rifles, one to shoot and film, one to abuse and a third for a spare and close up filming.

Thanks for the clarification. I read somewhere that the "abuse" rifle had an aluminum barrel to make it easier to toss. Clearly they were all built by Shiloh.

Can you confirm?

Paul

I just called Kirk at Shiloh to confirm that there were 3 rifles made for the movie. Just as I said previously, there were 3 rifles made, one as the star of the show, 1 that got abused and the 3rd for close up pictures and as a spare if it was needed.

There were no aluminum barrels or rifles with aluminum barrels, just the 3 rifles that I described...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Help me Lord, I may have to buy another safe.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some folks go gaga on the Quigley model rifle, still don't really know why. One year at the Quigley a guy pulls up next to where we were camped and asks if he can, we told him sure go ahead. He came by later after setting up his new tent and wanted to shoot the sh*t. Said he didn't know if he would shoot in the shoot as he had a new rifle and had never loaded bp rd 1.Come to find out that he bought a used Quiigly 45-110 from the Cabelas Gun Library up in Seattle or some damn place. Paid a lot of cash for a gun with someone else's gold plated initials in it. He had stopped at BACO on the way to Montana and they sold him half the store. Sold him some ready to go greaser loads too but after looking at my ppb loads he got a glazed look in his eye and looked unstable. He had some Swiss 1.5 and vag wads, plus primers, I intro'ed him to a vender that had some .442" TGBS bullets to sell and some patches, get the long story short we made him and his gun a successful shooter. Now them Quig models got a hard steel curved butt. After 75 rds the poor guy was black and blue and green on his whole right side even after him putting a kickease slip on pad over it. He managed to get 5/8 on the buffalo at 805 yds so he was still a happy camper. Next year he didn't make it out and on the year after that he did with a new Montana Roughrider chambered for 45-2.4" with a shotgun butt did better without the beating. I don't think a guy can have to many Shilohs but them ones with the rifle butt look better in the gunsafe than on the firing line. just my 2 cents on that. MB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 110 will certainly beat you up if you don't pace yourself even with the shotgun butt.. found that out the hard way several yrs ago. smile

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.