Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gunner, You will find the ABW 250 grain bullets to be first rate. I have been using that bullet in my 348 WCF since 2003 and so far I have haven't managed to catch one. Granted several deer, about a dozen pigs , one black bear, one moose and a nilgai isn't a big sample size but big enough for me to use their bullets in my 375 H&H, 45-70 and my 405 WCF.
Mike Murray used to run the outfit and after he passed Karl Mielke took over the operation, first rate people. Haven't spoke with Karl in a while, ought to give him a call and order up a few more bullets "just in case".
I learned about ABW "Kodiak" Bonded bullets from someone that I worked offshore with years ago, he was a big fan.
They used to make a 330 gr. bullet for the 405 WCF that was impressive on both ends.
If the 250 gr. bullets aren't to your liking, drop me a line I'll take them off your hands for what you paid for them.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Man! that's great news StarchedCover, many Thanks for those game reports, that all but guarantees all I need to do is stick one of those AWB 250's in the right spot and the rest will be gutting and skinning.

And you got it, if my rifle for some reason absolutely hates em, i'll send you a PM.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I was headed out the door with my Glock 21 and a pocket full of magazines to go shoot, up pulls the mail lady with a big box from Alaska, it was my bullets, I pleaded for one minute of her time, went and grabbed my checkbook and stamped envelope, knifed open the box and got the invoice out, she sat on a feed bucket and pet my Wifes Rottweiler pup while I filled a check out, then handed it to her. cool

I sure love the less than regulation only lifestyle out here in flyover country, now to get the rest of those Barnes bullets shot up and start with these 250gr ABW's.

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
He makes a video now and then you can summon him here -- maybe .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Guess I should have put it in Link form since you can post from the Fire' .
Goodnight folks ..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gunner, let us know how you do with those new bullets!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the hit ol mike. smile

Jorge, you bet, beings as beretzs has a camera and knows how to post pics, I should send some to him to run into the water jugs for us if he has the time.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500

Jorge, you bet, beings as beretzs has a camera and knows how to post pics, I should send some to him to run into the water jugs for us if he has the time.

Anytime Gunner. I’ve got a decent build up of milk jugs.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by gunner500

Anytime Gunner. I’ve got a decent build up of milk jugs.

NICE!, thanks beretzs, i'll get some ready and text you for a mailing address, hoping they go as far, and retain as much weight as your Woodleighs did, that will give us a great comparison, as we've heard here, both do a bangup job on game. smile

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The other extreme is launching these at 2800 - 2900 fps. I fiddled with their bullets many years ago in the 9.3x62. Quality stuff.

http://www.gscustomusa.com/348180HV242.html

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/hvloadslarge.html

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn, that's smoking Ed, and yessir, I've heard a lot of good about GSCustom bullets, can't wait for the jug test from beretzs, I sent a few extra today for chronoing and accuracy check.

I'm predicting theses bullets will be pulled from the eighth jug.

Trump Won!
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The Hornady 200 grain flat nose went through six water jugs. Weighs 142.5, expanded to .700 by .640.
Muzzle velocity was 2441. Very interested to hear the results of the Kodiaks. Ive got a few Swift A Frames. I’ll start saving jugs for one of those

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by frank500
The Hornady 200 grain flat nose went through six water jugs. Weighs 142.5, expanded to .700 by .640.
Muzzle velocity was 2441. Very interested to hear the results of the Kodiaks. Ive got a few Swift A Frames. I’ll start saving jugs for one of those

north 61 used that bullet on a one shot , DRT moose kill at close to 200 yards. his video is on You TUBE

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by frank500

north 61 used that bullet on a one shot , DRT moose kill at close to 200 yards. his video is on You TUBE

Nice, Thanks for the info Frank and Jorge, big B should be getting those ABW's any day now.

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
So Sorry! I have been getting things in place for retirement in November so it has been a bit hectic. I have actually finally played with some 250 Barnes Originals. As with most of the Original tribe sectional density helps as the increased length creates more of a friction bond between core and jacket. the p[ure lead and copper will not shatter but core separations are a real possibility. I rate the 250 Woodleighs are the best 250 grain bullet I have tested. That said I have pretty much settled on 200 and 220 grain bullets for the extra velocity and so I don't need to re-sight. The 200 A-Frames are probably the best single bullet as they penetrate almost as well as the 250 grainers and they expand well at low velocity as well. I have also had good luck with the plain old Hornady bullets.

I have put some of my opinions on moose hunting and the 71 in Blog Form here.

https://north61.weebly.com/blog/category/all

Last edited by North61; 03/23/19.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by North61
So Sorry! I have been getting things in place for retirement in November so it has been a bit hectic. I have actually finally played with some 250 Barnes Originals. As with most of the Original tribe sectional density helps as the increased length creates more of a friction bond between core and jacket. the p[ure lead and copper will not shatter but core separations are a real possibility. I rate the 250 Woodleighs are the best 250 grain bullet I have tested. That said I have pretty much settled on 200 and 220 grain bullets for the extra velocity and so I don't need to re-sight. The 200 A-Frames are probably the best single bullet as they penetrate almost as well as the 250 grainers and they expand well at low velocity as well. I have also had good luck with the plain old Hornady bullets.

I have to bump this up -- good blog!

I know all the softies here will really appreciate some of the family photography:

[Linked Image]

John

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
North61, curious if you've ever worked with the 356 Winchester especially load development?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
No but I did have a short barreled 358 with a long throat that I used for several years in Nunavut that when I got a chronograph I had been running at 356 velocities. I'd concentrate on the 180 and 220 speer flat noses, they both expand at low velocity and hang together at speed. They don't expand too wide so penetration is good. The 200 Rem Round Nose Corelock is also a very good bullet. I found the 358 bullets at 356 speeds to be very dependable killers if a tad unspectacular. The speed seemed just a little low for high shock. I was shooting mostly caribou and they would tend to go for a short walk before collapse. That's why I have the 307. For light to medium game it seems to kill faster and with the 170 Partition is a good moose round as well. Don't tell anyone as this could be hard to hear in a big-bore lever forum. That said if I ever see a good 356 at a good price I'd be happy to own one. With 220 Speers I'd have a good handy moose and bear gun that comes pretty close to the great 348. The 200 Hornady FTX might work well as a fast expander in the 356 as well. Worth a try.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by North61

Thanks North61, no apology necessary, I understand life getting in the way of loafing and having fun on the internet, the old 250gr Barnes are nearly shot up and gone, I wont look for more, I have four boxes of the 250gr Alaskan Bullets Works bonded bullets, I have to believe they'll perform like the Woodleighs, i'll work up a load around 2250 fps and see how they perform this hunting season.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
North61, thanks for the reply. I've been using the 250gr Kodiak for moose and when deer hunting in area's where brown bears are. For most deer hunting have been using 200gr factory, got lucky and came up with 25 boxes.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.